Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Seriously tho, what IS Apple's Market Share?

Seriously tho, what IS Apple's Market Share?
TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2002, 05:24 PM

I am so effin fed up with this talk about Apple's market share. See Exhibit A. How could anyone say that Apple has below 4% of the market share after the release of X (and possibly heading to 2%)?!?! Who calculates these things? How do they do it? I mean, my office bought 4 brand spanking new Dell's this year (ALL of which have been sitting unplugged under a desk in the file room for over six months b/c The Dork can't get them connected to the network), and my boss bought 1 Mac (a Titanium that she uses almost everyday - oh, and her son got one too). As far as I'm concerned, that means 100% of the new computers "being used" in this office are Macs.

fwiw, I have basically sold: (1) my gf; (2) my boss; and (3) two different friends [each with their own law practice] - and all of which were PeeCee Users - Macs within the past 12 months. That's 4-5 new Mac "users" in the past year. I ONLY KNEW ONE PRIOR TO THAT (myself). Jeez, it's enough already!!! Is there any "real" way to calculate Apple's Market Share? Personally, I think it's impossible - but I hate having to hear from these idiots. I was actually at a deposition last week and a defense attorney (who else) said "oh my, you actually use a Mac." I wish Steve would just come out and say that he's captured over 50% of the market since the introduction of X. Maybe everyone would just shut up about it then.

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 05:59 PM

I believe it goes: apple units sold in a quarter(10-K or 10-Q report?)/(apple units + pc units sold in the same quarter(gartner dataquest)) * 100%.

It's not an exact science since apples reporting period is a little offset. The macworld buying cycles, and things like backorders for th imac2 also affect it. Marketshare is different from installed base(5 unused dells/1 used Titanium) as well.

A quirky metric you might want to check out is google's zeitgest. It's also somewhat inaccurate, but interesting.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 06:07 PM

http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

Many of the "other" categories are Linux/BSD folks who have (ahem) creative user agent strings setup.

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 07:45 PM

We maintain a few high traffic web sites across the US that are real estate related and here is what I just found:

One site (West Coast Oregon Area) got 16,234,227 page views so far this year and 865,805 of those are from Macs giving 5.33%

Another site (NE Ohio Area) got 9,708,439 page views so far this year and 261,099 of those are from Macs giving 2.69%

So, I could buy the 4% figure...

ringo
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by TonyRado:
I mean, my office bought 4 brand spanking new Dell's this year (ALL of which have been sitting unplugged under a desk in the file room for over six months b/c The Dork can't get them connected to the network), and my boss bought 1 Mac (a Titanium that she uses almost everyday - oh, and her son got one too). As far as I'm concerned, that means 100% of the new computers "being used" in this office are Macs.
Nice. Did your network troll cry when your boss got a mac? Or is he more understanding about macs on the network now that you're not alone any more?

Agent69
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 08:20 PM

istallion is probably right but that still wouldn't account for people who build their own computers. Its a crap shoot, really.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2002, 08:43 PM

something that always gets lost when people spout these figures is how much bigger the market is then it used to be.

In 95' apple might have had 14% of a 100 million unit market. Today they have 4% of a vastly larger market. Their % is slipping but they probably have more users overall.

Basically for apple's share to go up they would have to outsell every OEM combined. Not gonna happen, EVER.

*note* all numbers are just made up, save market share % from article
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

TonyRado  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2002, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
Nice. Did your network troll cry when your boss got a mac? Or is he more understanding about macs on the network now that you're not alone anymore?
Haha! No, I think he is still in 'denial'. Actually, I went into the storage room yesterday and saw four different GIGANTIC new books (2 on w2k, and 2 on xp). I guess he's decided to try to get somewhat up to date. Yah right! LAST WEEK he was blaming the managing partner's inability to print on "this new technology called USB which doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet"!

Whoops, Update:
One of the secretaries just came into my office this a.m. and asked if I am "f*cking with [the dork] this morning". Apparently, there are some major network issues going on. big surprise, heheh. Ya know, I think that I'm actually beginning to ENJOY getting blamed for this sh!t. (good thing I remembered to disconnect the ABS this a.m. - whew )

Oh well, today is my first day running Jaguar, so off I got to unleash it on the office's notwork, err, network�

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2002, 01:03 PM

"this new technology called USB which doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet"!
LOL
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

climber
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 05:06 PM

Hey Tony

does the "dork" have most of the computers hooked up to cheap local printers (usb) or does he also have some decent network (laser) printers setup.

I just picture this old network with mostly cheap and slow inkjet printers scattered all over the office rather than a couple nice printers.

With the amount of printing seen in a law office, I can't even imagine having much need for a USB printer, other than for occasional color use.
climber

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2002, 05:14 PM

this sh!t. (good thing I remembered to disconnect the ABS this a.m. - whew )

ABS ??

Antilock Break System?

climber
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by driven:

ABS ??

Antilock Break System?
ABS=Airport Base station. Tony uses that becouse the "dork" wouldn't know what wirelsee is, and Tony can hide his connection to the office computers. The dork is the IT guy in his office that has banned him from connecting this mac to the network. I think the ABS is hiden in a closet someplace.

The story is a fun read, search for IT or dork to find the thread.
climber

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2002, 06:01 PM

Simple. Although Apple might be selling more computers than it used to in the mid 90s. Dell, Compaq, HP, Acer, etc,etc... still sell a whole lot more than apple does. so what happens when one market segmnt grows faster than another ? Apple's market share as a percrentile will continue to decrease although they sell more units than they ever have. On a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis more PCs are sold when compared to Macs, and so the market share of Apple will continue to decrease.

TonyRado  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by climber:
Hey Tony
does the "dork" have most of the computers hooked up to cheap local printers (usb) or does he also have some decent network (laser) printers setup.
I just picture this old network with mostly cheap and slow inkjet printers scattered all over the office rather than a couple nice printers.
With the amount of printing seen in a law office, I can't even imagine having much need for a USB printer, other than for occasional color use.
I only WISH that I were making this up: We have one HP LaserJet 8100N (it's frickin huge) that has been sitting "in storage" for over three years (my 3 year anniversary here was a few weeks ago, and it pre-dated me). Apparently The Dork went out and bought this monster, but could never figure out how to get the workstations to print to it - so it doubled as a book shelf until I decided to drag it into my office one night at about 2 a.m. (right after I got my Ti in February of 2001 - I think) after getting tired of my PeeCee crashing (and causing me to loose all my work). With the help of Siegzdad and some others, I was able to get my Ti to print "just fine." Anyway, the Dork came in a couple of days later while I was in court and reported me to the office manager. Upon returning from court, I got effin reamed by the office manager for "not asking first." She ultimately apologized to me after she learned that the Dork wasn't using it when I took it (apparently he told her I was "disconnecting printers from the network"), and that I here all night working on this particular motion (which I won).

So, the end result is that the HP8100 is acting as a f*cking doorstop in the file room. When I have a lot of case law/research to print, I plug my Ti into it and print away. Otherwise, everyone is printing to $100-$200 ink jets. Of course, my secretary and I have to "share" another paralegal's printer around the corner b/c of this f*cking little passive/aggressive j*rkoff.

climber
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 06:39 PM

What a crack up Tony..

The thought of one of the Managing Partners printing a 100 page document out on a parallel connected inkjet just kills me. All the time while the perfect solution collects dust in the closet because the dork can�t even hook it up.
climber

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2002, 07:35 PM

I'm stunned. How does the Dork keep his job? It's one thing to be clueless, quite another when he dramatically impacts office productivity.

climber
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 08:05 PM

Law Partners who are good at law not Computers. The technology of a toaster is too complicated for them. You know the type,�.Brilliant but still burn the toast.

ie: they don't know the dork is incompetent.
climber

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by climber:
Law Partners who are good at law not Computers. The technology of a toaster is too complicated for them. You know the type,�.Brilliant but still burn the toast.

ie: they don't know the dork is incompetent.
Perhaps a clandestine tour of another law office with an actual network would Cleanse the Doors of Perception.

Or I could wander into the office and start asking pointed questions. I wouldn't mind a good network admin gig in NYC. I'm sick of LA

Forum Links
Forum Rules