Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > did you know about this trick with the toolbar???

did you know about this trick with the toolbar???
dice
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2002, 06:25 PM

I just discovered that it is possible to drag anything that you want into the toolbar at the top of the folders.

It is possible for it to kinda become a second "dock" for apps and so on... and it is also possible to add the trash to the toolbar: open the trash folder and click and hold the small trash icon at the top of the window until it darkens, then simply drag into the toolbar!!!

btw I am using 10.1.5

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2002, 06:38 PM

Ive used the finder toolbars for ages, for a wide variety of things including launching apps and stuff, but what nifty thing I noted was the ability to drop any picture from an IE window into the toolbar, I was taken aback when i accidentally dropped an picture from a webpage into my IE Toolbar and it stuck there as a clickable thumbnail.

- Telusman
[email protected]
AIM: TelusMAC
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2002, 07:02 PM

if you have a folder in there, it'll even spring open under 10.2 if you drag something over it...

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2002, 08:53 PM

Yea, the trash thing is old, however it's broken for me. I had the trash can up there and after installing Jag it messed up the icon placement and would not display the "trash" text. So I deleted it and now i can't seem to put it back on the tool bar.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2002, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Yea, the trash thing is old, however it's broken for me. I had the trash can up there and after installing Jag it messed up the icon placement and would not display the "trash" text. So I deleted it and now i can't seem to put it back on the tool bar.
I hadn't noticed that because I keep my toolbar on icon only, but it's messed up here, too, if I set it to icon & text. I'm afraid to drag it out, as it would suck to not have trash in the toolbar. I never drag files all the way to the dock anymore, since I put the trash on the toolbar.

Definitely cool about the springloaded folders in the toolbar. I keep my main Files folder there, and that'll come in handy.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

jrafter
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2002, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

I hadn't noticed that because I keep my toolbar on icon only, but it's messed up here, too, if I set it to icon & text. I'm afraid to drag it out, as it would suck to not have trash in the toolbar. I never drag files all the way to the dock anymore, since I put the trash on the toolbar.

Definitely cool about the springloaded folders in the toolbar. I keep my main Files folder there, and that'll come in handy.

CV
Why not put the Delete icon in the toolbar instead of the trash icon?

ryju
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2002, 10:17 PM

Because maybe you want to access the contents of your trash can from a single finder window.

ret
Sep 2, 2002, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
Because maybe you want to access the contents of your trash can from a single finder window.
So make it a Favourite I'm getting this mental image of Oscar the Grouch here, "Oh I Love Trash"...

Seriously though, how often do you really need to access the trash contents that you can't do it from the dock? At least that works properly, unlike all the haxie "ln -s .Trashes" work-arounds that I've read. Personally, I like the delete button on the toolbar, although the jury's out on the camera noise it makes in Jaguar...

Anyway, the other thing that the customizable toolbar is really good for is for drag-n-drop apps like Pic2Icon and LineBreak, where you want to perform basic "no questions asked" operations on file(s)/folder(s).

Just my 2c

RET
perl -e 'require Signature.pm; srand; printf STDOUT "%s\n", $Signature[rand @Signature];'

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 04:08 AM

just 'apple-delete'

to send a file selection to the trash

and 'shift-apple-delete' to empty the trash

Y

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
check that hint on macosxhints.com

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by ret:

So make it a Favourite I'm getting this mental image of Oscar the Grouch here, "Oh I Love Trash"...
Anyone remember the old extension for System 7 that made Oscar pop out of your wastebasket when you emptied it, and sing his song?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by ret:

Seriously though, how often do you really need to access the trash contents that you can't do it from the dock? At least that works properly, unlike all the haxie "ln -s .Trashes" work-arounds that I've read. Personally, I like the delete button on the toolbar, although the jury's out on the camera noise it makes in Jaguar...

Anyway, the other thing that the customizable toolbar is really good for is for drag-n-drop apps like Pic2Icon and LineBreak, where you want to perform basic "no questions asked" operations on file(s)/folder(s).

Just my 2c

RET
The new trash noise is definitely not very trash-like. As far as the icon, I don't like a lot of unnecessary color, so the grey trash icon is more appealing to me than the bright red circle-slash.

Hey, Steve Jobs likes to have options. I like to have options, too. The thing I love most about the Mac OS is how many different ways there are to do essentially the same thing. Chooses the one that suits your style best.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Anyone remember the old extension for System 7 that made Oscar pop out of your wastebasket when you emptied it, and sing his song?
Amorya
I soooo want that back!!!

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 2, 2002, 11:07 AM

Amorya
YES! sniff, sniff...memories...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2002, 11:19 AM

The Grouch was, hands down, one of the most useless but uber-cool hacks of all time.

The extension, sad to say, never worked properly with OS8, much less any later operating system. But there was a second version, made by the author at the request of parents who were tired of having their kids trash important stuff just to hear Oscar singing his song. This was just an application with five Trash cans; you'd click on one and Oscar would pop out. This one probably still worked up through OS9.

Unfortunately, I don't think a Haxie for OSX to do this would be wise. Not just because of the problems of drawing on (over?) the Dock and keeping Oscar in the proper position. The real problem is that a wireframe trash can just isn't Oscar's style, you know?

Besides, last I checked Children's Television Workshop (the producers of Sesame Street) got mad at the guy who made it. Copyright issues and all that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Axel:

check that hint on macosxhints.com
Well, I did have my icon up there after updating but I got the error message that .trash was already in use.

I may try the delete icon but thats not as cool. Damn Apple.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

pdot
Senior User
Sep 2, 2002, 12:51 PM

the trash folder in the toolbar also works well as an eject. this can potentially replace both the delete & eject buttons.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

sambeau
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 07:25 PM

I have to admit that it was a while before I realised that you could drop files onto the folders in the toolbar.

This makes installing apps so much easier - just drag them to the 'A'..

God, I love Macs!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 07:49 PM

Amorya
Do I ever!! I loved that so much as a kid!

"Oh I lovvvvve trash!"
"I love it because it's trash!"

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by TonyRado:

I soooo want that back!!!
Me too!! ^_^

Forum Links
Forum Rules