Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Apple Fonts! Where can I find it?

Apple Fonts! Where can I find it?
designfreak114
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 01:44 PM

Does anyone know the name of the fonts that Apple uses on their logos, products and ads? What are they called and where can I find them?

I would like to know both the Serif font they used to use, and the newer sans serif typeface they have been using lately like the font on the iBook and iPod logos. It's for a school project. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Image is Everything. Design. Mac.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 19, 2004, 08:10 PM

They're proprietary Apple fonts.

I don't know the name of the font used on the Apple II.

The font used on the Mac from 1984 until recently was Apple Garamond.
The new one is Apple Myriad.

Regardless, only very few types of Apple dealers are licensed to use the Apple fonts, and they are not publicly available.

I have Apple Garamond archived somewhere, I don't have Apple Myriad.

But if you use regular old Adobe Garamond Condensed and Adobe Myriad (or the Bitstream equivalents), nobody will know the difference.

tooki

designfreak114  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 02:22 PM

Hey, thanks, that really helped a lot..I don't have the actual apple myriad but I have the myriad that comes prepackaged. It worked great, Just had to chage the vertical and horizontal scale a little bit and it looks pretty much like it.
Image is Everything. Design. Mac.

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by designfreak114:
Does anyone know the name of the fonts that Apple uses on their logos, products and ads? What are they called and where can I find them?

I would like to know both the Serif font they used to use, and the newer sans serif typeface they have been using lately like the font on the iBook and iPod logos. It's for a school project. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The font used on the Mac from 1984 until recently was Apple Garamond.
The new one is Apple Myriad.
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

Forum Links
Forum Rules