Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > NYT Interview with our 45th President of the United States

NYT Interview with our 45th President of the United States
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2017, 10:36 PM

New topic because, boy, there's lots of meat in this one:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/u...ns-russia.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/u...ranscript.html

On Sessions:
“Jeff Sessions takes the job, gets into the job, recuses himself, which frankly I think is very unfair to the president,” he added. “How do you take a job and then recuse yourself? If he would have recused himself before the job, I would have said, ‘Thanks, Jeff, but I’m not going to take you.’ It’s extremely unfair — and that’s a mild word — to the president.”
A. Sessions didn't know it'd be found out he lied about meeting Russia
B. Sessions responsibility is to be fair to the American people first.

On Rosenstein:
The president also expressed discontent with Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein, a former federal prosecutor from Baltimore. When Mr. Sessions recused himself, the president said he was irritated to learn where his deputy was from. “There are very few Republicans in Baltimore, if any,” he said of the predominantly Democratic city.

He complained that Mr. Rosenstein had in effect been on both sides when it came to Mr. Comey. The deputy attorney general recommended Mr. Comey be fired but then appointed Mr. Mueller, who may be investigating whether the dismissal was an obstruction of justice. “Well, that’s a conflict of interest,” Mr. Trump said. “Do you know how many conflicts of interests there are?”
A. Nice subtle implication that he's a secret democrat
B. That's not a conflict of interest

On Don Jr.s Meeting:
SCHMIDT: Did you know at the time that they had the meeting?

TRUMP: No, I didn’t know anything about the meeting.

SCHMIDT: But you didn’t——

TRUMP: It must have been a very important — must have been a very unimportant meeting, because I never even heard about it.

HABERMAN: No one told you a word, nothing? I know we talked about this on the plane a little bit.

TRUMP: No, nobody told me. I didn’t know noth—— It’s a very unimportant — sounded like a very unimportant meeting.
Suuuuure.

On Mueller:
Mr. Trump said Mr. Mueller was running an office rife with conflicts of interest and warned investigators against delving into matters too far afield from Russia.

Asked if Mr. Mueller’s investigation would cross a red line if it expanded to look at his family’s finances beyond any relationship to Russia, Mr. Trump said, “I would say yes.” He would not say what he would do about it. “I think that’s a violation. Look, this is about Russia.”
This is like making a neon sign that says: "Please look into my finances outside of Russia."

On his undisclosed meeting with Putin:
Describing a newly disclosed informal conversation he had with President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia during a dinner of world leaders in Germany this month, Mr. Trump said they talked for about 15 minutes, mostly about “pleasantries.” But Mr. Trump did say that they talked “about adoption.”

Mr. Trump acknowledged that it was “interesting” that adoptions came up since his son, Donald Trump Jr., said that was the topic of a meeting he had with several Russians with ties to the Kremlin during last year’s campaign.
Just rubbing in our faces what he's getting away with.

On Comey:
The president added a new allegation against Mr. Comey, whose dismissal has become a central issue for critics who said it amounted to an attempt to obstruct the investigation into Russian meddling in the election and any possible collusion with Mr. Trump’s team.

Comey afterward pulled Mr. Trump aside and told him about a dossier that had been assembled by a former British spy filled with salacious allegations against the incoming president, including supposed sexual escapades in Moscow. The F.B.I. has not corroborated the most sensational assertions in the dossier.

In the interview, Mr. Trump said he believed Mr. Comey told him about the dossier to implicitly make clear he had something to hold over the president. “In my opinion, he shared it so that I would think he had it out there,” Mr. Trump said. As leverage? “Yeah, I think so,” Mr. Trump said. “In retrospect.”
Yes, he's claiming Comey tried to blackmail him.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 10:55 PM

Why on earth would he do this interview? My foil hat is receving transmissions something else is afoot.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2017, 11:03 PM

Also, what's with the third person shit?

OreoCookie
Jul 20, 2017, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Why on earth would he do this interview? My foil hat is receving transmissions something else is afoot.
Easy, for the same reason he told everyone on prime time TV that he fired Comey because of Russia. Or for the same reason that he'd have a second, private meeting with Putin and Putin's translator — while at home his Russia relations are under scrutiny.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
He's a narcissist

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
He's a narcissist
You've just defined everyone who runs for POTUS. You think Hillary isn't? Or Bill? Some are just better at hiding it than others.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
Jul 20, 2017, 02:39 PM

Oh come on. I've never seen ANY POTUS, or candidate, whine and make everything about himself so much.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Oh come on. I've never seen ANY POTUS, or candidate, whine and make everything about himself so much.
Come on? We weren't around during LBJ, and you seem to forget how much Bill patted himself on the back (not to mention Obama having a presser every time he felt like giving a sermon, which was on most days ending with the letter Y).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2017, 08:26 PM

I missed this gem on Clinton:
TRUMP: She was opposing sanctions. She was totally opposed to any sanctions for Russia.

BAKER: When was that?

HABERMAN: Do you remember when that was? I don’t remember that.

TRUMP: I just saw it. I just saw it. She was opposed to sanctions, strongly opposed to sanctions on Russia.

Forum Links
Forum Rules