Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Solution for 10.3.2 slow boot

Solution for 10.3.2 slow boot
Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 03:45 PM

You may want to read through these Apple discussion board topics: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/5

In short

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

and reboot twice ... and your reboots will be faster (time spent on the initial grey screen will be way shorter).

zachs
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I just did it. Worked great!

10.3.2 Boot time BEFORE Fix: 2min 35s
10.3.2 Boot time AFTER fix: 28s

Keiretsu  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 05:24 PM

I guess that before applying any new system upgrades (e. g. 10.3.3 when we see that) it's better to delete the link prior to applying the upgrade patch. If it will not fix the slow boot problem, it's easy to re-apply the fix later.

BTW: just saw, there's another thread already running on this topic. Can we merge or lock this one?

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 06:34 PM

I keep getting this error:
Code:
-bash: sudo_cp_/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl_/usr/sbin: No such file or directory

techtrucker
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 06:38 PM

That's a space, not an underscore, before /usr/sbin...

Keiretsu  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I keep getting this error:
Code:
-bash: sudo_cp_/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl_/usr/sbin: No such file or directory
try:

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 03:16 AM

I can't get to the apple discussion board to get full details but the tip seems to be a bunch of BS. Look in /etc/rc to find

--snip--
BootCacheControl=/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl
if [ ! -f $BootCacheControl ]; then
BootCacheControl=/usr/sbin/BootCacheControl
fi
if [ "${SafeBoot}" != "-x" -a -x "${BootCacheControl}" ]; then
${BootCacheControl} start
fi
-- end snip--

It's already checking for BootCacheControl inside BootCache.kext. If it exists it'll execute from there otherwise fallback and use /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl if it exists and is executable.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by BatmanPPC:
I can't get to the apple discussion board to get full details but the tip seems to be a bunch of BS. Look in /etc/rc to find

--snip--
BootCacheControl=/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl
if [ ! -f $BootCacheControl ]; then
BootCacheControl=/usr/sbin/BootCacheControl
fi
if [ "${SafeBoot}" != "-x" -a -x "${BootCacheControl}" ]; then
${BootCacheControl} start
fi
-- end snip--

It's already checking for BootCacheControl inside BootCache.kext. If it exists it'll execute from there otherwise fallback and use /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl if it exists and is executable.
Trust us, it works. The problem lies within the loginwindow process, not /etc/rc. /etc/rc just hinted at the problem. The loginwindow process is not looking in the same directory as /etc/rc. The loginwindow process is for some reason defaulting to /usr/sbin/.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
Trust us, it works. The problem lies within the loginwindow process, not /etc/rc. /etc/rc just hinted at the problem. The loginwindow process is not looking in the same directory as /etc/rc. The loginwindow process is for some reason defaulting to /usr/sbin/.
Well, like I said, I can't seem to get to the apple discussion board to get full details.

Thanks for the loginwindow information.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules