Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help with setting up Macbook with wireless router

Help with setting up Macbook with wireless router
Dex4788
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 01:45 AM

So I just converted today (goodbye Windows ) and so far it's been going very smooth. I have a small question regarding the wireless connectivity though. I connected just fine with my router, and I'm actually typing this right now using the wireless internet on my Macbook. My question is I find the net speed to be considerably slower than on my PC. My friend told me that it should be close to whatever your dl/ul rate is on the comp, if you're very close to the router.

I went to speakeasy.net/speedest to test that out, and here are my avg. results after 3 tests:

Desktop
22834 kbps DL
2048 kbps UL

MacBook
12617 kbps DL
1341 kbps UL

So as you can see, the wireless speeds are nearly cut in half of what I usually get when I surf on my desktop. Is this normal?

I'm thinking I need to configure some of the settings of my router, but I'm not sure. I'll have my friend come over tomorrow to take a look at it, but maybe some of you can offer some extra suggestions that I'll be able to pass along to him? Any help is greatly appreciated.

ael719
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 01:56 AM

Was your desktop using a wireless card or did you have an ethernet cable hooked up to it from the router?

Another thing to consider is your what type of router do you have? 802.11 A/B/G?
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

Dex4788  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 02:10 AM

The comp is connected with an ethernet cable to the wireless router. And here's the webpage to my router so all the info is there:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

azncreazion
Aug 1, 2006, 02:34 AM

Well of course the MacBook will have a slower connection as it is connected wirelessly, while the desktop is connected to ethernet cable which is faster

Dex4788  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 02:36 AM

Yeah, of course I expected that. But I was wondering if it's normal to have half the speed be cut off, especially if the Macbook is no more than 5 feet away from the router.

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 05:37 AM

Yes it will be half the speed because your mac is connecting over wireless which is 54Mbps where as the ethernet connection will be 100Mbps

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 08:06 AM

Networking issues go in the Networking Forum.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MickeyZ
Aug 1, 2006, 09:51 AM

I'm not an expert in wireless networking, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think what matty-uk and azncreazion said is true if the Internet/broadband connection speed is equal or less 54Mbps (G standard). In Dex4788 case he's getting nearly 22Mbps download speed on the desktop connected with ethernet cable which is well below what standard G gives (54Mbps), so I would expect him getting download speed on MB close to what he's getting on the desktop, as both MB and D-Link router support G standard.

I've 6Mbps broadband connection at home and am getting that speed on both desktop (connected with ethernet cable) and MBP over wireless.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Forum Links
Forum Rules