Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > UPS lost my Macbook. Avoid this serial number

UPS lost my Macbook. Avoid this serial number
MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 01:54 PM

I shipped my Macbook back to Amazon for refund because of a faulty CD drive just after 5 days. It was stolen. UPS told me that the laptop was removed from the box between last UPS depot and final destination. Only empty box arrived.

UPS told me that they have opened a claim with Amazon and would deal directly with Amazon as the label on the box indicated it was a returned product to Amazon. So, it would appear that UPS would compensate Amazon, and I can only hope that Amazon would refund me without delay. I would appreciate hearing from Mac users who had similar experience.

I contacted Apple Technical Service to report that the Macbook was stolen and to report to the police when the thief contacts for technical support. (Reason I spoke to Tech support was because their phone menu does not provide for such theft case). The tech support woman said they will not report to police but can only note on file that laptop with this serial number was stolen, and no technical support will be given to the thief.

I am, naturally, surprised that Apple does not do what Thinkpad does in helping Thinkpad users retrieve their stolen laptops. In addition to the "tracking chip" embedded in some Thinkpad models, IBM does many other things to notify police and legal owner in order to help the owner retrieve the stolen laptop.

Just a thought. The UPS clerk at my end told me to write description of content on the sticky label that he affixed to the box. I thought this new step maybe a terrorist precautionary measure, in case someone sends a bomb or something harmful. So, if there was no content description affixed on the box, would the thief open it?

I write this to alert other Mac users of the inherent risk of shipping valuable articels by UPS, or Fedex, for that matter. Secondly, I hope Apple and UPS would read this message.

Oh, just in case you buy a "used" Macbook, avoid this stolen Macbook, serial: 4H629EAJU9B

This Macbook needs to replace a faulty CD/DVD drive; repairers alert.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2006, 02:38 PM

When I ship anything of very high value, I try to use the fastest service available. With FedEx, that's called "Courier Service," and with UPS it's usually Next Day Air or Second Day Air. The key is tracking; FedEx Courier Service features signatures each time the package changes hands-it's secure enough to ship firearms across the country, so it should work for computers. I don't think UPS offeres such a service, though the faster something has to get to its destination the better, as there's less time for it to be pilfered.

Sorry about the loss, and I hope between UPS and Amazon they get your refund handled quickly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

HouseSold
Senior User
Aug 22, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
When I ship anything of very high value, I try to use the fastest service available. With FedEx, that's called "Courier Service," and with UPS it's usually Next Day Air or Second Day Air. The key is tracking; FedEx Courier Service features signatures each time the package changes hands-it's secure enough to ship firearms across the country, so it should work for computers. I don't think UPS offeres such a service, though the faster something has to get to its destination the better, as there's less time for it to be pilfered.

Sorry about the loss, and I hope between UPS and Amazon they get your refund handled quickly.

Amazon provided me a return label (ARS) that they snail mailed me and then my merchandise was given to UPS to go ground. As soon as it showed in the UPS tracking system, I was credited, even before it reached Lexington, KY. ( you may have to call Amazon to instigate this)

As soon as you get a call tag or receipt for a return, it becomes the carriers responsibility, when they have your item.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2006, 05:10 PM

So will UPS replace your MacBook or do you have to have insurance??
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

shecky
Aug 22, 2006, 08:27 PM

UPS has consistently and repeatedly been the biggest bunch of retarded monkeys i have ever dealt with. Every time i am forced to deal with them they never cease to amaze me with how incompetent they can be.

i have had a few minor problems with FedEx, but in general they have been exceptional.

azncreazion
Aug 23, 2006, 12:52 PM

This is why you use the good old fashioned Postal Mail Service...... USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes are the things that keep my online business alive... since the prices have gone up in the past year.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2006, 02:39 PM

If they operate like they did for HouseSold, then it should be THEM working with UPS to locate the thing-as he said, it's the carrier's responsibility, and it looks like Amazon pays attention to that. (Having never had to return anything to Amazon, I didn't know about their process-it sounds smart.)

While UPS has its problems, they typically work hard (at corporate and at driver level anyway) to make you happy. It's the inbetween folks that goober things up. Azncreazion, Priority Flat Rate does sound like "THE" way to go for a lot of things-and the USPS has a history of sticking up for the customer, at least as long as the customer keeps the documentation!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacPhly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 08:21 PM

Following HouseSold's suggestion, I emailed Amazon to enquire about my refund. Today, 72 hours after it was discovered stolen, Amazon replied, copy and pasted as follows:
(partial quote)
"As you have taken the proper steps to return this item to us we will refund you for this item and follow up with the shipper. No further action is required on your part."

So, I will wait 2 to 3 days, as Amazon promised, to see the refund in my bank account.

So far, UPS and Amazon have acted quite professional:

1. On the scheduled delivery date, I tracked UPS and found the comment: "empty box discarded", and phoned UPS immediately. The woman told me that UPS had started a claim with Amazon as the box was a "return product" box, and that Amazon would deal directly with me. This suggest that UPS had immediately assumed responsibility for the loss. She even apologized on behalf of UPS for the "inconvenience". Yes, they did the leg work.

2. Day 2, I wrote to Amazon and got a reply on Day 3, as shown above.

This episode reinforce my trust in Amazon as they are a big seller, especially when UPS automatically contacted them about the loss. However, I'm not so fortunate as HouseSold who got his refund even before they received the returned product.

Meantime, I've found lots of complaints on the Macbook Shut Down problem, and so I'll hold back for Rev. 2, rather than rushing in.

But, thanks to Mr. Porter and the Mac gang, I learned to install Windows XP via Slipstreaming, which I will do again when I get Rev.2. That Sticky really helps.

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MacPhly
So far, UPS and Amazon have acted quite professional
UPS's behavior is no doubt due to the volume of Amazon's shipments. They have to be one major customer for UPS. I have not been so lucky in dealing with claims for UPS though I have not had to make many.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 07:15 AM

For those of you that have an Apple store nearby or a decent Apple-authorized repair center, consider simply getting your defective systems repaired under warranty instead of sending them back.

I received a new Intel Mac Mini that was DOA not too long ago. I simply brought it in to my nearby repair center, had it fixed under warranty, and had it back in less than two days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules