Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Lookup Failed, but... there it is.

Lookup Failed, but... there it is.
jwalton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 07:34 AM

I've found about a dozen books in my bookshelves where, when I enter in the ISBN number, Delicious Library says "Lookup Failed", but then shows me a search results pane with only one book in it. When I click on the "+" next to the book to add it, it does another search, and says "Lookup Failed" again, but again, there's the book as the lone result in the search results, only now the book and title look "faded", like they're grayed out, or have their opacity set to 50%.

Anyone else ever get this? Any solutions?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2007, 12:00 PM

Sorry for the trouble. This is a known bug, mainly afflicting Intel machines.

For what cold comfort it may provide, the problem with the Intel machines is not their architecture, but their speed. They are just too fast for the relatively ancient tools used in lookups.

We've done some work to reduce this bug in the lastest update (1.6.4), and we've completely re-architected lookups for Delicious Library 2.

The best thing to do, for now, is to select the "failed" item and reload it (⌘r) a few times until it loads.

If you have a lot of lookups to do, some users have reported disabling on of the processor cores via system preferences will nearly eliminate the problem.

typecase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 09:22 PM

This is happening to me on a G5. I'm trying to add the game Hotel Dusk, I see the picture, click the add button and I just hear that annoying voice "lookup failed." Usually I can just click on the plus (+) repeatedly and DL will eventually get it, but I've tried multiple times and still no luck. I've even updated my DL version. No luck. I think this is a problem on the all platforms, not just Intel.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 12:02 AM

If you have a lot of lookups to do, some users have reported disabling on of the processor cores via system preferences will nearly eliminate the problem.
That seems a bit.. drastic, don't you think?
Linkinus is king.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 02:35 PM

Well, you don't disable it with a hammer. You can adjust the number of cores you use in system preferences. You may need to install the developer tools to get this preference panel, though.

The idea is that, if you're adding one item now and again, you can just deal with reloading the item if it sticks. But, if you're scanning in your entire collection it will be worth it to you to go through the trouble of turning off a core beforehand, so you don't have to keep reloading.

It's not unlike the "turbo" button you used to have on PCs to deal with games that relied on the machine clock and this became unplayably fast on newer machines.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by typecase View Post
I think this is a problem on the all platforms, not just Intel.
True. The problem is not Intel per se, but rather the machine being too fast for the old architecture, which has a race condition. Pretty much any Intel mac is going to be "too fast," but a really good G5 will do the trick, too.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 11:42 PM

I'd be interested in hearing what this old architecture is, so I can avoid it. And I'm a geek like that. Or maybe Wil could do a blog post about it.

But yeah, I've seen this too, and reported it as a bug. Good to see it's known and fixed.

BTW, a new Delicious Blog about something would be great. It's sad seeing it marked stale for so long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules