Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook wont power up

Macbook wont power up
TimeCloud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 10:44 PM

Hi, I'm a newb so here it goes. My friend had a small spill on his macbook. I took it apart and found 3 small places of corrosion all in the middle left area. It had been sitting up uncleaned for 10 days. I cleaned it up and tried to power it on. The white LED in the front comes on, the fan comes on and I can hear the HDD making noises and that's it. The screen doesn't lite up or anything. I was going to replace the memory to see if that worked, but other than that what should I do.

TIA

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2007, 11:42 PM

Middle left, like the heat sync? Could you be more clear or post a picture?

As you saw when you had the MacBook all apart, the logic board on the MacBook is very small and circuit dense-- so a spill can be pretty devastating. After you reassembled the machine, did you try connecting an external monitor to the mini-DVI port and see if you got video that way? How about Apple Hardware Test, what were the results -- again, you can boot the disk from an external firewire optical drive if the internal one was damaged.

Try booting from a minimal system first; Logic board, minimal known good memory... hear if you get a boot chime. Then graduate to a known good optical drive, keyboard, and display.

Worse comes to worse, consider taking it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider so they can run an Apple Service Diagnostic on it. They have more detailed diagnostics than what are available to end-users.

azncreazion
Sep 26, 2007, 01:24 AM

I've seen this a couple of times. Go to a service provider, and check it in. May either be a bad logic board or a bad LCD. Lets hope its the first, LCDs are expensive

TimeCloud  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2007, 01:10 PM

Well this is where the problem lies. It was taken to the repair shop the day it happened. The shop told him it was a bad board and they ordered one for him. they never opened it, dried it or removed the battery, thus the corrosion. Once the board came in they saw the corrosion and told him it was not covered and if he wanted it fixed it would be $1000. He has written Apple and the repair center, Peach Mac, but aplle stated they had to stand behind the repair center. So here we are.

Although I am a skilled PC tech, I am a newb at Macs. I appreciate everyones help.

I will try to post a picture tonight or tomorrow as to where the corrosion was. I did purchase an external SATA enclosure to save data from the drive. I have MacDrive for the PC. Mac Drive says there is an issue with the drive as well and needs to be initialized. I was able to recover the personal data, documents, apps, music and photos. Now to get it working again.

I have no other drives to use to boot the system and like I said the only thing it does is power the white light in front on. No chime.

Let me know what to do and I will try it. Thanks again!

azncreazion
Sep 26, 2007, 06:40 PM

Well, that store made a mistake. But.. your either going to have to pay for the logic board or sell the mac and buy a new one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules