Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Talkin' baseball

Talkin' baseball
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 02:10 PM

Is it me, or have we not had a baseball thread yet this spring? Is it me, or does that need to be remedied immediately?

Well, here goes: I was one of the skeptics this spring about my Minnesota Twins. They'd pretty much stood pat since last year. Didn't really do anything to improve the team over the winter. Last year's Lawton-Reed trade didn't turn out too well. Suspect bullpen.

I'm fast becoming a believer. Eddie Guardado looks like he's up for the challenge of being a big-league closer. The bullpen has been strong while the starting rotation has struggled early. After sweeping Cleveland this weekend the Twins are in first place.

I'm thinking that if they stay healthy (Mays currently on the DL), they might be able up pull off 90-plus wins and take the division.

Twins in the playoffs? Take that, Bud!

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 02:18 PM

I would be unadverse to seeing the Twins slap big Buuuud upside the head.
I will also take this moment to inject this:
Patriots: Superbowl.
Bruins: playoffs.
Celtics: playoffs.
Red Sox: Up by two games, took Yanks two out of three, and on a nice streak. Possibilities. Playing at .750!!!

WHAT'S HAPPENING? UP IS DOWN! BLACK IS WHITE! As A BOSTON SPORTS FAN, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF (except sit and wait for the impending doom and heartbreak...or maybe not GAAAAH!)! http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/s...ck04222002.htm

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 02:47 PM

Red Sox: Up by two games, took Yanks two out of three, and on a nice streak. Possibilities. Playing at .750!!!
I take all of this, combined with our bizarre weather and now EARTHQUAKES, as clear signs that we are in the final days.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 02:48 PM

Not to worry, maxelson.
1. Patriots will miss the playoffs this season.
2. Celtics out in 1st round.
3. Bruins ditto.
4. Red Sox might make the playoffs, but they will not win the World Series. The Curse of the Bambino will last until the Yanks do something equally bone-headed.

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 03:04 PM

Go Yanks.

The best thing about this season: ESPN's Wednesday Afternoon Baseball Game. I love watching that every week.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>Not to worry, maxelson.
1. Patriots will miss the playoffs this season.
2. Celtics out in 1st round.
3. Bruins ditto.
4. Red Sox might make the playoffs, but they will not win the World Series. The Curse of the Bambino will last until the Yanks do something equally bone-headed.

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]</STRONG>
Yankees ARE going bonehead. Did you check out that 3 of 4 series? They looked like keystone cops in the field. Rather like the Sox at the end of the season last year. And now Pettit is on the DL. WHo's next? I dunno. Sox are looking pretty hot.
Spankmees. It must be so easy to love such a predictable team. I am thinking there are more folks than not who'd love to see them dive.
I kow I was pretty thrilled last year.
And that Knobby goofball. Would someone PLEASE step on that cockroach? I don't care who he plays for. I LOVE seeing him get smoked.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 04:07 PM

i'm just thankfull they finally got there first win so i could finally shave! beards in the summer time suck...too hot.

(if you couldn't figure it out, i'm season ticket tiger fan)

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
<STRONG>

Yankees ARE going bonehead. Did you check out that 3 of 4 series? They looked like keystone cops in the field. Rather like the Sox at the end of the season last year. And now Pettit is on the DL. WHo's next? I dunno. Sox are looking pretty hot.
</STRONG>
Remember 1978?
(I know, I know, low blow. But I couldn't resist. )
BTW, I've been a life-long Yankees fan. My grandparents lived one block from the Stadium. I was a fan when the two most famous Yankees were Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich. And they weren't famous for their on-field activities.

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: malvolio ]
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2002, 04:19 PM

<STRONG>I would be unadverse to seeing the Twins slap big Buuuud upside the head.

WHAT'S HAPPENING? UP IS DOWN! BLACK IS WHITE! As A BOSTON SPORTS FAN, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF (except sit and wait for the impending doom and heartbreak...or maybe not GAAAAH!)! http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/s...ck04222002.htm</STRONG>
All I know is that Nomar better as hell hit .400 this year b/c I have a $1.00 bet with my roommate

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 04:24 PM

Petite on the DL yes. But I'd like to see how long Pedro's shoulder holds up. The Sox Pitching is Nothing without him. OH yeah they did take 3 out of 4 but it's April. If they take 3 out of 4 later in the seson then I'll be impressed. Besides the Yankees despite having blown 2 saves so far this year still have THE BEST Closer in Baseball. I would take Rivera over any closer in the game.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by agasthya:
<STRONG>

All I know is that Nomar better as hell hit .400 this year b/c I have a $1.00 bet with my roommate </STRONG>

Nomar has slowed down a bit since that weekend in Baltimore. Maybe you could change your bet to the feared Shea Hillenbrand

i've got tickets to three games against the yanks this year, and i'm hoping the butt-kicking will continue until then!

i'm hoping for a Sox-Expos World Series this year!

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
<STRONG>Petite on the DL yes. But I'd like to see how long Pedro's shoulder holds up. The Sox Pitching is Nothing without him. OH yeah they did take 3 out of 4 but it's April. If they take 3 out of 4 later in the seson then I'll be impressed. Besides the Yankees despite having blown 2 saves so far this year still have THE BEST Closer in Baseball. I would take Rivera over any closer in the game.</STRONG>
I think you might want to go take another look at that bullpen. Your comment is a little off the mark, there. Pedro has not had many outings. Certainly not 12. I do not dispute that NY has a hell of a bullpen. But they are not invicible and they are proving that. It was not a lack of Pedro that sent the team to the dregs last year. In fact, he was out long before the decline. In fact, they were STILL winning after the loss of Veritek and Nomar. THere was SO much else going on there. I am looking forward to seeing the crap disappear and just seeing some good ball played thoughout the season.
Jeez. Normally it is the Sox fans getting all defensive!
*last comment all in good fun! just a game, just a game!*

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 05:32 PM

White Sox all the way ! They will destroy the Indians and the Twinkies!

jholmes
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 06:02 PM

New Englanders - do not adjust your sets, the problem is not with your TV. There is still a semblance of normalacy in the major leagues - the Texas Rangers still stink.

For yet another season baseball season in Texas has been cancelled. Maybe the Astros have some hope, but we Rangers &lt;gulp&gt; fans &lt;/gulp&gt; well, we are resigned to making book on the Jumbotron Dot races or watching really competitive beer league softball.
It's a simple proposition - pitching and defense win pennants. So we continually have sluggers whose positions are listed as OF/DL, a quarter billion dollar shortstop and the best bullpen in double A ball.

Maybe the Cowboys will be out on parole soon.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 10:38 PM

Speaking of the Yankees, I'm going to see them play against the Oakland A's tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the fans react to Jason Giambi playing against his former team. I have high hopes for the A's this year. It's going to be a close race for the division against the Mariners this year.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 02:51 AM

<STRONG>And that Knobby goofball. Would someone PLEASE step on that cockroach? I don't care who he plays for. I LOVE seeing him get smoked.</STRONG>
Ha! Mr. Chuck "I want to play for a winner" Knoblauch is now toiling in obscurity for the K.C. Royals, where he'll be looking up the standings at the Twins all season. There is justice after all.

poocat
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 09:32 AM

i hate the fact that my fricking cardinals just lost to the brewers three times.
that's absurd.

but revenge is on it's way.
boston will contend. have no fear in that.
the astros will suck, unless berkman kicks us all.

but THE RANGERS ARE THE WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

ha.
poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 11:33 AM

Who would have thought that The Twins and the Expos would be in First place? Strange Season so far. Won't last but hey one can dream. Pie in your face Bud. BTW anyone here like Bud Selig? I'm not one who does.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
<STRONG>

Ha! Mr. Chuck "I want to play for a winner" Knoblauch is now toiling in obscurity for the K.C. Royals, where he'll be looking up the standings at the Twins all season. There is justice after all.</STRONG>
And MORE justice:
Rocker to the minors after being tossed into the same clubhouse with Everett! I LOVE it! NExt hope: Everett to the SAME minor league team!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>i hate the fact that my fricking cardinals just lost to the brewers three times.
that's absurd.

but revenge is on it's way.
boston will contend. have no fear in that.
the astros will suck, unless berkman kicks us all.

but THE RANGERS ARE THE WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

ha.
poocat.</STRONG>
I'm sorry...you forgot something. We lost 4 times to the brew crew. It was quite painful to watch on TV...we only get weekend cardinal games here in champaign and it sucked to watch us get swept by the shitty brewers...argh.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by agasthya:
<STRONG>

I'm sorry...you forgot something. We lost 4 times to the brew crew. It was quite painful to watch on TV...we only get weekend cardinal games here in champaign and it sucked to watch us get swept by the shitty brewers...argh.</STRONG>
Could be worse. You could be a Detroit fan! Ooooo. Was that out loud? Jeez, I gotta learn to filter.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 01:18 PM

<STRONG>Could be worse. You could be a Detroit fan! Ooooo. Was that out loud? Jeez, I gotta learn to filter. </STRONG>
Oh lord ... did you see the "lowlights" of Higginson trying to play left field on a bum knee yesterday? What a nightmare. Not only would he fail to cut off the ball before it reached the wall, the carom would get right past him as well. And this happened at least twice.

Oh and he hurt himself by fouling a pitch off his knee ... that's hard to do.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 01:39 PM

Is it my imagination or is there REALLY an inordinate amount of Keystone Cop antics happening in MLB this year?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 02:29 PM

maxelson's knack for the obvious:
Could be worse. You could be a Detroit fan! Ooooo. Was that out loud?...
Yeah, no kidding. The Tigers are joining the Lions as the Motor City Kitties of Futility�--but at least they've won two World Series in my lifetime.

By my calendar, it's April 23; there's plenty of time and games for the BoSox to miss the wildcard spot on the last day--with Tony Clark striking out swinging with bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth (unless, of course, he's on the DL--because he has the back of a menopausal woman).

If anybody's even remotely interested, I posted some pix of Comerica Park (originally for a friend who moved to LA).

Let's play ball!

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 02:50 PM

SInce no one else has said it, I will:

Go Mariners!

Damn shame they lost to the Yankees in the ALCS last year after setting the ML record for wins in a season. Oh, well, at least Arizona (and former Mariner Randy Johnson) smoked 'em in the World Series )

CyberDave

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 02:51 PM

Clark may not be slugging as he should, but DAMN. Have ya seen that guy on first? He and Hillenbrand have a connection that is wonderful to watch.
Like I have said: being a Sox fan is analogous to being a Mac user: sure we are doomed to lesser market share and second place. Sure the bungles are biblical. Sure the drama is without parallel. But we know we have a better product and brand loyalty is cult like and leaving the fold is a monumentous decision. And bouncing back is part of the game. As is terminal hope.
The Sox WILL take a world series in my lifetime. Maybe even this year.
Hell, in the spirit of eternal Sox optimism, I got this: This WILL be the year. Sox are more solid than they have been in years. History means nothing in this game (Florida would be a prime example... Twins come to mind... Cleveland... and, as of this moment, Yankees). The curse is a thing of no-thing.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2002, 04:45 PM

<STRONG>
Like I have said: being a Sox fan is analogous to being a Mac user: sure we are doomed to lesser market share and second place. Sure the bungles are biblical. Sure the drama is without parallel. But we know we have a better product and brand loyalty is cult like and leaving the fold is a monumentous decision. And bouncing back is part of the game. As is terminal hope.
</STRONG>
Heh... it's definitely been said more than once before that the yanks are the Microsoft of baseball. i had the displeasure of watching some of the Sox-yanks game on 'YES' a couple weekends ago when i was upstate. It's positively nauseating. Besides showing baseball games, the channel has yankee-ized versions of shows on other networks, like 'yankee-ography' and 'some famous people talk about why they like the yankees so much'. it's simply too horrible to describe.

jholmes
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 06:42 PM

God is punishing me. I played ball up through college. I love the game, done the rotiserrie leagues and collected the cards. So naturally, I've spent the last 30 years with the Rangers as the team I can get to see most of the time. I envy you guys with meaningful games in September. Or in the case of this year and last - June.

So far the most impressive thing to happen in Rangers franchise history - It isn't Nolan Ryan throwing no hitters and strike outs. It wasn't Kenny Rogers' perfect game. It's the invention of the Ballpark Nacho.

At least this year we have the element of clubhouse mooks, thieves, bigots and boneheads to spice up the season. Prediction - Jerry Naron is gone by Father's Day. He'll be replaced by Vince McMahon of the WWF.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Macintosh
Banned
Apr 23, 2002, 07:02 PM

The Phillies are a **** team! I love them and always will but their front office sucks big time! here is a look at their most recent GM mistakes.

J.D. Drew -St Louis Cardinals Outfielder-Phillies drafted him but Drew asked for too much money (to the Phils Front Office it was too much) and they traded him to St. Louis.

Scott Rolen -3rd Baseman-Greatest player they have (Wont sign a 140 million dollar contract to stay with team, free agent for the 2003 season).

Mike Lieberthal-Catcher-Tore his ACL last season and missed 125 games last year as the Phillies nearly won the NL East. Lieberthal is back this year and the Phillies GM said, "Yeah we didnt add to many guys to the team this year but if you count Lieberthal that is an added All-Star catcher!"

Nelson Figerroua-Starting Pitcher-Bright young prospect, Released.

Rico Brogna-First Baseman-He was a gold glover at first for the Phils but he got old and was promptly put on waivers 2 years ago...again wasted use of a trade candidate.

Bruce Chen-Starting Pitcher-Released, just won a game for his new team.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this while the Phillies have one of the largest markets in the business, they have enough money to give Steinbrenner a run for his money.

The GM and front office is just content with a dogfight for the playoffs when they could be World Series contenders if they had caring management.

I still love my Phillies though.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 07:34 PM

Isn't it funny that the 2 teams that were going to be contracted are in first place? God I hate Selig.

When was the last time the Red Sox won anything? Oh that's right.... It's been a while.

The Yankees bullpen may not be as strong or deep as it has been in the past but it is much deeper than it was last year and Mariano IS still the best Closer EVER. Post season or Otherwise.

I'm surprised not to see any Mets Fans here. hmmmmm...

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 23, 2002, 08:14 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 25, 2004 at 03:11 AM. )

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 01:18 AM

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 09:58 AM

Boo Cubs !

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 02:43 PM

How about them A's? Still holding on to that wild card spot. Bob Melvin deserves manager of the year but I got a funny feeling that Buck Showalter will get it.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
How about them A's? Still holding on to that wild card spot. Bob Melvin deserves manager of the year but I got a funny feeling that Buck Showalter will get it.
The A's have been an awesome story. I can't get over how endless in supply their young pitching seems to be, even after trading away Gio Gonzalez in the offseason and suffering from some injuries. Perhaps they are the Giants of the AL in this respect. I too happen to think that Melvin should win manager of the year. I think the O's have been awfully lucky this year. For a while their run differential suggested that they have been lucky, but I think their success has mostly been predicated around a lot of coordination of many of their spare parts sort of players having good years simultaneously, and having a very strong bullpen. The success of bullpens and bullpen pitchers in general are hard to predict from year to year.

Mike Trout deserves to win the AL MVP, hands down, no questions asked, although I bet that Miguel Cabrea actually wins it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules