Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Shorten the cord of a Logitech MX500?

Shorten the cord of a Logitech MX500?
galarneau
Senior User
Apr 11, 2004, 03:46 AM

I'm annoyed at how long the cords are on PC mice, especially when it only goes 12" from the USB port on my keyboard to the mousepad.

I remember trying to shorten the cord on an old cheap microsoft optical mouse, but didn't have much success (couldn't solder wires that small, then lost the cable).

Has anyone tried this with a logitech mouse? I already have an MX500, though I'm tempted to just go buy a wireless one now. But still, the idiot in me wants to take the MX500 apart and mod it.

Any hints, tips, suggestions?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 04:30 PM

Coil the wire a few times and tape it together, probably near the plug end so you don't have a mass of wire to drag around with the mouse. Or, like you say, a wireless mouse!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

galarneau  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 05:12 AM

Yeah, that's what I do now...

Anyway, I took mine apart, and the wiring seems much less complicated than my old Microsoft mouse I tried to hack. When I get my hands on a soldering iron, I'm going to have a go at it.

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 04:43 PM

Nice to know I am not the only one to have shortened the cord of a mouse. I really had no need for three feet of cord for a powerbook.

Anyways, there was no soldering needed in my mod. I just cut the cord, removing a foot and a half extra cord, stripped the ends, and spliced them together. Some electrical tape to keep things from shorting was placed. That was it. While I had the thing apart, I also desoldered the red led of my Macally mouse and put in a blue one. Looks much better now.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules