Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels (no disk image) + 24" iMac = Kernel panic

Parallels (no disk image) + 24" iMac = Kernel panic
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 20, 2006, 08:52 AM

I downloaded Parallels to try it out and installed it on my 24" iMac. I set up my PC, and then started it (with no image yet), and BOOM! Kernel panic. Tried it again after a reboot, and BOOM! Another kernel panic.

I thought it would just boot to the black 'BIOS' screen since I have no disk image set up for it, and would just give me a text error message complaining there wasn't a boot disk. I didn't think it would panic. Is this normal behaviour?

I have a disk image I made many moons ago on my MacBook when Parallels was still in beta so I'll transfer that over and see what happens, but I don't remember encountering this issue on the MacBook.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2006, 11:12 PM

Confirmed. No matter what I do, Parallels KPs on my iMac 24", as soon as I start a virtual machine.

Tried running a new disk image, and a disk image transferred over from my MacBook. Same result.

Works perfectly fine on my MacBook.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 12:06 AM

Probably another specialized kernel that the guys over at parallels will have to optimize for...
Linkinus is king.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 12:28 AM

This is my first post and I'm glad I can help with this issue. I had the same problem with kernel panic. Then, I downloaded and installed release candidate 1 (RC1) of Parallels and tried again. That did it, but with a price. Parallels informed me that the memory had to be limited to 2 gig and offered to change the setting for me. I agreed, the memory was limited to 2 gig, and then I was able to get the installation in just fine.

I know this is a bit different. Try downloading and installing from the beginning the RC1 of Parallels. I hope this helps.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 12:47 AM

Thanks, and great first post. Yeah, I was just coming here to post that the RC1 1898 build for the Mac Pros also works for the Core 2 Duo iMacs. (I was using the 1848 full release version before, which didn't work.)

It does limit you to 2 GB, but for me it's irrelevant since I only have 2 GB anyways.

However, my network connection bridged to my iMac's Ethernet doesn't work. Dunno why. The connection bridged to my wireless 802.11g LAN card does work though, so that's a workaround for now. Anyone have a fix for the LAN issue?

Also, how do I extract the drivers from Boot Camp 1.1.1? Boot Camp 1.1.1 won't burn me a driver disk because I have 2 partitions on my iMac.

EDIT:

I have extracted the disk image which has the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" Windows application. However, how do I extract the actual drivers from the .exe file without actually installing them? I know it was posted here somewhere but I can't remember where.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Sep 22, 2006 at 12:57 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules