Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Aperture 1.5 announced - new library system

Aperture 1.5 announced - new library system
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 25, 2006, 11:32 AM

Apple's Photokina event has started - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

Aperture 1.5 has a new library system with better support for external storage, DVD's, as well as RAID. This should make a lot of Aperture users happy. iLife integration is also new, with support for a plugins framework. Plugins for Gettyimages, iStockPhoto, Flickr are included with more on the way. The magnifying function has been improved and one can now magnifiy images up to 1600%. The XMP format is now supported for exporting image data.

No mention of lens correction filters.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 12:09 PM

The update is free, and will be available sometime this week.

Also, if you can read German:

MacTechNews.de - News Tag und Nacht

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 12:21 PM

This is all well and good, but is it localized yet? It's no good to me as long as it's only available in English.

Also a trial version would be nice, although not really Apple's style...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
This is all well and good, but is it localized yet? It's no good to me as long as it's only available in English.

Also a trial version would be nice, although not really Apple's style...
What language?

"Aperture steht nun auch in deutscher Sprache zur Verfügung."

Dunno about other languages.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 12:38 PM

GMA 950, the MacBook, and the Mac mini, as well as GeForce FX 5200 Ultra Macs are now officially supported.

It's interesting to see that while the X1600 is in the recommended config, as is the 7600 GT, the 7300 GT is not.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 12:58 PM

v1.5? Odd naming...figured it would have been a v2.0 release.

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
What language?

"Aperture steht nun auch in deutscher Sprache zur Verfügung."

Dunno about other languages.
Where did you find that? Any mention of "Aperture est desormais diponible en langue francaise"?
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Well, they're giving it away free to everyone with 1.x, possibly because it's getting some features that should have been there in 1.0, like more flexible library management and drag-and-drop JPEG export.

I too am surprised it didn't go 2.0, but I can understand their reasoning. I'm disappointed it didn't go 2.0 actually, because my idea of a 2.0 release is one that will have lens correction, for vignetting and chromatic aberration. That's the biggest missing feature for me for Aperture at this point.

I am glad it got iLife integration though. Although Aperture is a "pro" program, a lot of amateurs like myself use it, and use the decidedly non-pro apps in iLife sans iPhoto, as well as iWork. Whenever I used Keynote for example, I never had access to my Aperture photos directly. 1.5 changes all that.

It's also nice to see it getting iPod syncing for photo slideshows. Not that I really needed that, but it's a bonus, especially since I just ordered a 30 GB refurb iPod yesterday.

P.S. It's about time that all Intel Macs are officially supported. The 5200 U is now also supported but it's incredibly lame that G5 1.6 iMacs are not, even though G5 1.6 Power Macs are.

Where did you find that? Any mention of "Aperture est desormais diponible en langue francaise"?
That German support was mentioned in the German link I posted. I dunno if that's accurate, and I don't know what other localizations are supported (if any). I went to the Apple France site, and they still have Aperture 1.1 listed.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 25, 2006, 02:37 PM

I kinda doubt that the installer would balk at installing on a 1.6GHz iMac if you tried.

tooki

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 02:39 PM

GeForceFX 5200 support? Please please say they optimized the heck out of it before adding that card to the supported list. </grumbling about Apple's absurdly weak GPU choices>

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 25, 2006, 02:43 PM

Honestly, in my experience Aperture seems to be more CPU-heavy than GPU-heavy. A friend of mine runs 1.1.2 on a MacBook, and though some of the eye candy is choppy, actual application performance is excellent. Of course it's ideal to have a great CPU and a great GPU.

tooki

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 03:49 PM

Here's a full Aperture 1.5 preview:

What I Think -- For Now
This is a very important upgrade for Aperture. Version 1.0's library limitations were enough to keep many photographers from using the program. The new library options do more than just fix the previous version's limitations, they allow you to easily work with images and libraries across multiple machines, and to create more sophisticated Aperture-driven production pipelines than version 1 allowed.

Apple has thrown in a lot of perks with this upgrade, including the new loupe and interface enhancements. The fact that the upgrade is free makes these even more enjoyable.

However, the program still lacks any masking and selective-editing tools. For these types of edits, you'll need another image editor. This is more a point-of-information than a complaint. For a product that's less than a year old, Aperture has a very large feature set -- just be aware that it's not yet a stand-alone system. Version 1.5 still includes the Open In External Editor command, which gives you a simple way to round-trip images into another editor. But now there's an additional option: If you're working on a referenced file, you can simply open it in another program (no exporting required) and then rebuild the preview once you're back in Aperture.

Originally Posted by tooki
Honestly, in my experience Aperture seems to be more CPU-heavy than GPU-heavy. A friend of mine runs 1.1.2 on a MacBook, and though some of the eye candy is choppy, actual application performance is excellent. Of course it's ideal to have a great CPU and a great GPU.
I agree.

Lousy GPU plus good dual-core CPU = OK.
OK CPU plus mediocre GPU = very slow.

Runs great on my 24" iMac Core 2 Duo with Radeon 7600 GT though.

I kinda doubt that the installer would balk at installing on a 1.6GHz iMac if you tried.
Trust me, I've seen worse with this app.

Aperture 1.0 installed and ran fine on my iBook with Radeon 9550. Then they updated the app to 1.1 and it stopped working, saying my iBook didn't meet the minimum requirements.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Sep 25, 2006 at 04:48 PM. )

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2006, 04:12 PM

Aperture 1.5 is localized in International English, German, French and Japanese.
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 05:18 PM

I think they should bring back the hidden panties code that they took out in 1.0.1.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 02:13 PM

I have a question about aperture. If I use JPEGs does Aperture make a copy of that JPEG in the library with the adjustments that I made or does it act the same as with RAW files? Does it make an XML with the adjustments without touching the master JPEG image ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
I have a question about aperture. If I use JPEGs does Aperture make a copy of that JPEG in the library with the adjustments that I made or does it act the same as with RAW files? Does it make an XML with the adjustments without touching the master JPEG image ?
It doesn't make copies of JPEGs like iPhoto does -- it just uses the original JPEG and its database of your modifications to "display" it.

That said, I don't know how the high-quality preview generation that's new to 1.5 works with JPEG originals.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 02:50 PM

Does Aperture have red-eye and spot-healing like iPhoto? Any other pixel-changing stuff? I can't imagine that that can be done without making a copy of the original.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Does Aperture have red-eye and spot-healing like iPhoto? Any other pixel-changing stuff? I can't imagine that that can be done without making a copy of the original.
Pixel changing doesn't require a copy. Aperture has red eye reduction and spot & patch.

That's why you need a fast computer. EVERYTHING is done on the fly.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2006, 11:47 PM

So for those of us amateurs that don't use RAW capable cameras, does Aperture work well or is it completely for RAW folk?

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac
So for those of us amateurs that don't use RAW capable cameras, does Aperture work well or is it completely for RAW folk?
It works fine. I never shoot RAW, and it works swimmingly.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by alex_kac
Why would you buy a $300 program for professional photographers if you were an amateur? I'd assume iPhoto would be good enough?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Why would you buy a $300 program for professional photographers if you were an amateur? I'd assume iPhoto would be good enough?
iPhoto isn't good enough for many amateurs.

Aperture has a lot to offer, even to amateurs, especially at its price point. At $499 I thought it was a bit much for some of the amateur crowd. At $299 it's quite reasonable. That said, the cost for me is much lower, since I get the educational rate of only CAD$169 (US$150), so I'm a little biased in favour of this app.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 08:47 AM

Just because you don't sell your work doesn't mean you can't have high standards. iPhoto might be "good enough", but it's just that not more. Red-eye reduction and spot-healing are mediocre. Sharpening can't be used strong enough, the exposure slider does somehow affect contrast as soon as you touch it a little bit, and the histogram can't be right either. I don't see why an ambitious amateur shouldn't want something better and get Aperture (if it works better than iPhoto). And there are good reasons for professionals to shoot JPEG instead of RAW too.

delete
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
And there are good reasons for professionals to shoot JPEG instead of RAW too.
Really? Out of curiosity, what would those reasons be?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by delete
Speed. Most sports photographers shoot JPEG, not RAW.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by delete
Storage space and time required for post-processing. Not everything a professional shoots is fine art.

delete
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 11:34 AM

Not to shift the focus of the thread, but I thought shooting JPGs for speed was almost an old idea now with faster digital slrs, cards etc. Even knowing how much you can do with a RAW image after the fact, I understand the idea of some shooters not wanting/needing everything to be post-processed.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 28, 2006, 03:41 PM

Certainly modern DSLRs handle RAW very well. But the fact is, they handle JPEGs even better. Why? Because it takes FAR less time to write a 2MB JPEG than a 5-12MB RAW file.

On my Nikon D70s, which shoots 3 frames per second, shooting in JPEG (6MP, "standard" JPEG quality, ~1.6MB files) allows the camera buffer to hold 12 photos, and using a fast Compact Flash card (like my Lexar Pro 80x) means that the camera can write photos from the buffer faster than it can shoot them. So it can shoot at 3fps essentially indefinitely.

In RAW mode, which produces about 5MB files, the buffer is only 4 shots deep, so if anything at all keeps the photos from being written slower than real-time, there will be gaps in the continuous shooting. (Obviously, this is a much bigger problem with slow cards.)

So that's one downside of RAW: it can slow down the camera.

Another is that shooting RAW means that you can fit far fewer photos on a memory card. Changing cards more frequently may be a serious downside in some shooting situations.

But the other is that processing RAW takes much, much, much longer on the computer. With a program like Aperture or Lightroom, the main penalty is how long it takes the app to load the full-resolution image. On a fast Mac, it's not too bad, but on my slow-ass PowerBook, it takes easily 4 times as long to load a RAW than a JPEG.

If you're not using Aperture or Lightroom, using RAW massively slows the workflow. Every photo app can open JPEGs natively -- and quickly. Just open, make your edits, and Save or Save As. With RAW, you must choose import, monkey with the settings, then wait for the import to happen. Then you must choose Save As, since you cannot save RAW files. Note that the difference in import speed is generally very large: on this PowerBook, opening a 6MP JPEG in Photoshop takes maybe a second. Importing a RAW file using Nikon's software takes around 30 seconds.

In most cases, the modest improvements in image quality are simply not worth the "cost" of RAW. Modern DSLRs have such high-quality in-camera processing that you can't do much better.

The only situation where I use RAW is in weird mixed-light situations where no one white balance preset works well. (For example, shooting indoors near windows, where there's daylight, fluorescent, and incandescent light depending on which direction you look.) It can be advantageous then to simply not white balance on the camera, and do it later on the computer.

But otherwise, JPEG really is just good enough.

tooki

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 05:41 PM

Yeah, everyone's different. Journalists and sports photographers deal with JPEGs most of the time, and there are many wedding photographers who shoot JPEG. I've even heard of some "art" photographers shooting with JPEG too, at least up until recently.

I on the other hand am a total amateur, and shoot both JPEG and RAW, depending on my mood and needs, etc. RAW can save your ass sometimes, but then again sometimes it's just easier to shoot a bazillion JPEGs.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 08:10 PM

Certainly modern DSLRs handle RAW very well. But the fact is, they handle JPEGs even better. Why? Because it takes FAR less time to write a 2MB JPEG than a 5-12MB RAW file.

But the other is that processing RAW takes much, much, much longer on the computer. With a program like Aperture or Lightroom, the main penalty is how long it takes the app to load the full-resolution image. On a fast Mac, it's not too bad, but on my slow-ass PowerBook, it takes easily 4 times as long to load a RAW than a JPEG.

The only situation where I use RAW is in weird mixed-light situations where no one white balance preset works well. (For example, shooting indoors near windows, where there's daylight, fluorescent, and incandescent light depending on which direction you look.) It can be advantageous then to simply not white balance on the camera, and do it later on the computer.

But otherwise, JPEG really is just good enough.

tooki
Some comments on that:

First, about 99% of pro sports photographers shoot with a Canon 1D mark II. It shoots RAW photos at 8 fps for bursts of about 24 frames. This is sufficient for professional use in nearly every case. The 1% that aren't using the Canon (those rogues who do NOT have white lenses) are using Nikon D2X's in the high-speed crop mode. RAW works okay for both.

Second, if you use Aperture, RAW processing is as fast as efficient as JPEG processing. The workflow treats RAW and JPEG files identically. Yes, if you have a 3+ year old computer you will feel the pain with RAW files... but then again time is money so it's very, very doubtful a pro photographer who actually made real money from their craft would be using hardware that old + slow. Given they have $25K+ of camera equipment, spending $2500 every 2 years on a laptop probably fits in okay (it's 1/2 the cost of the 1D mark II body and pros will have at least 2 of those).

Third, another thing RAW does substantially better than JPEG is "have dynamic range." RAW files are 16 bit, and they have a substantially better ability to recover detail in highlights and shadows than do JPEG files (To tell the truth, JPEG files are actually 12-bit in camera which means they can capture 4096 levels of light per channel... compared to 256 that you get in an 8-bit image). This has a dynamic range of more than 2 stops greater than JPEG... that is absolutely *huge* in terms of what you can do when you know what you're doing.

Frankly, I think for non "point and shoot" use, RAW should really blow JPEG out of the water over the next few years. The drawbacks of RAW (larger files, slower to edit) will go away as computers get more storage and get faster, and the limitations of JPEG (you can't go back and take the shot again to capture what you lost) never will. Applications like Aperture and Photoshop Lightroom (nice new name there, Adobe) will be at the forefront of why this is the case. Photshop itself with ACR and Bridge is just too balky and slow for a large workflow, and are some of the reasons people just go with JPEGs for now.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 04:22 PM

It's out. Check Software Update.

Aperture 1.5 delivers more than 20 new and enhanced features that improve file management, metadata handling, and image adjustment. This update also addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, performance, and compatibility.

Review these new features carefully, as Aperture 1.5 introduces several new options that change and improve how Aperture tracks and stores your image files.

New and Enhanced Features

When importing images into Aperture, you can now choose to store the image files inside the Aperture Library (as you could in version 1.1), store and access them from their current locations on your hard disks, or move or copy them to any other location you specify. Image files that you don’t store in the Aperture Library are called "referenced" images, and you can store them in any folders you choose, on any number of connected hard disks. A new set of file-management tools allows you to relocate referenced master files after they have been imported.
New metadata export options allow you to generate industry-standard XMP sidecar files when exporting master files, or to batch export metadata in tab-delimited text files.
A new Color adjustment allows you to tune hue, saturation, and luminance on a color-by-color basis.
A new Edge Sharpen adjustment adds improved luminance-based sharpening with precise control.
You can now create metadata presets—prefilled IPTC templates that allow you to add combinations of metadata instantly and avoid repetitive typing.
The Adjustments Inspector and Adjustments HUD now include adjustment presets that allow you to save your favorite individual adjustments as presets that can be applied instantly.
Improved file-renaming tools allow you to rename actual master files on disk in addition to assigning version names within the application.
New folder name presets allow you to automatically create folders and subfolders to hold your photos when importing or relocating master files.
You can now use the Lift and Stamp tools to transfer cropping and straightening adjustments to other images.
Improved keyword management lets you add, maintain, and update keywords more easily, as well as lock the Keywords HUD (to prevent changes to your defined keyword list or accidental edits).
The Print dialog now allows you to specify resolution in dots per inch (dpi) for printing individual images.
Powerful new Loupe tool options providing better onscreen controls and variable-level zooming up to 1600 percent.
A new drag-and-drop JPEG export feature allows you to drag your Aperture-managed photos from the Browser into other applications such as iWeb, Keynote, and more.
Automatically generated previews stored within the Aperture Library allow you to view full-size images more quickly when browsing the Library—even when master files for referenced images are stored offline.
Third-party plug-in support, via a new export API, now allows Aperture to become the “front end” to larger workflows created by third-party developers.
The Color meter can now display values as either hue, saturation, and luminance (HSL) or hue, saturation, and brightness (HSB).
When you search by IPTC information using the Query HUD, you can now search for all images with any keywords assigned, or for all images with no keywords assigned. New options also support searching for all Aperture-managed images and referenced images, whether they are online or offline.
A new AutoFill Editor lets you revise or delete autofill entries, allowing you to correct spelling errors or remove entries that are no longer needed.
The Batch Change command now allows you to either append additional metadata to a selection of images or replace the existing metadata with new metadata.
Ratings can now be applied more easily by simply pressing number keys to assign the number of stars you want.
Enhanced AppleScript and Automator support now allows scripts to operate on image selections (rather than just on projects or albums). Automated workflows can now include the ability to filter for the "pick" of each stack, and the ability to export master files with their accompanying XMP metadata.
Compatibility

Aperture is now supported on all MacBook computers and Intel-based Mac mini computers. Support has also been added for iMac G5 computers that are equipped with the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra graphics card.
Aperture now supports RAW file formats for Fuji S2 and S3 Pro, and Sony A100.
Other Enhancements

The update also addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability and performance in all areas of the application, including:

Color meter
Importing
iPhoto Library import
JPEG export quality
Keywords
Light Table
Metadata Inspector
Open in External Editor
Print dialog
Projects panel
Query HUD
Slideshows
Smart Albums
Thumbnail creation
This update is recommended for all Aperture users.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 04:53 PM

Anyone notice that the nVidia GeForce 7300GT is not listed on the supported graphics card list. Are stock Mac Pro users SOL?
One of the following graphics cards:
ATI Radeon X600 Pro or 600XT
ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
ATI Radeon X850XT
ATI Radeon X1600
ATI Radeon X1900
ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9600 Pro
ATI Radeon 9560
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE or 6600
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 05:02 PM

I dunno where you got that list, but 7300 GT (and even GMA 950) are supported.

One of the following graphics cards:

* ATI Radeon X600 Pro or X600 XT
* ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition*
* ATI Radeon X850 XT
* ATI Radeon X1600
* ATI Radeon X1900 XT
* ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
* ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600
* ATI Mobility X1600
* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE or 6600
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL
* NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
* NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
* Intel GMA 950

The 7300 GT reportedly isn't very good though, and doesn't make the recommended list (even though the X1600 in the 20" iMac does).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 05:12 PM

I dunno where you got that list, but 7300 GT (and even GMA 950) are supported.
Came from the Aperture 1.5 download page.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 05:16 PM

Bad news. Ran the update on my MacBook Pro here at work. Installed OK. When I launch, it scans my library to prepare for the upgrade, then gives me an error message ("There was an error opening the database. Error: (null)") and states I must rebuild my library. I click Rebuild Now, and the application unexpectedly quits.

Color me not impressed.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Same reason I use Final Cut Express HD over iMovie - its not enough. I have no desire to get a bulky DSLR for when I go traveling with the family and such, but I do enjoy photography as an art and I feel constrained by iPhoto. Most of what I shoot goes into my wife's scrapbooks which she has an entire room dedicated to. So I'm quite interested in what Aperature has to offer, but my cameras of choice only offer JPEG and not RAW.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 29, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Second, if you use Aperture, RAW processing is as fast as efficient as JPEG processing. The workflow treats RAW and JPEG files identically. Yes, if you have a 3+ year old computer you will feel the pain with RAW files... but then again time is money so it's very, very doubtful a pro photographer who actually made real money from their craft would be using hardware that old + slow. Given they have $25K+ of camera equipment, spending $2500 every 2 years on a laptop probably fits in okay (it's 1/2 the cost of the 1D mark II body and pros will have at least 2 of those).
If you'll refer to my post, you'll notice that I specifically mention Aperture and Lightroom being especially efficient at dealing with RAW.

But what you haven't yet mentioned is that most people aren't using Aperture or Lightroom. For anyone who isn't using one of those apps, RAW significantly slows down post processing workflows. The fact is, JPEG is good enough for 99% of situations, and shooting in that format does have several advantages.

Do I think RAW use will increase over time? Absolutely. Without Aperture and Lightroom, it would never happen. But I doubt that RAW will overtake JPEG anytime soon.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 29, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Bad news. Ran the update on my MacBook Pro here at work. Installed OK. When I launch, it scans my library to prepare for the upgrade, then gives me an error message ("There was an error opening the database. Error: (null)") and states I must rebuild my library. I click Rebuild Now, and the application unexpectedly quits.

Color me not impressed.
Odd.

Mine updated fine. Now it's just got to spend a few hours creating the high-res previews of all my images. (Though that step is done as a background process, so the program is usable in the mean time.)

tooki

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 08:09 PM

I probably won't update to 1.5 for a couple of days. I want to back everything up first.

Do I think RAW use will increase over time? Absolutely. Without Aperture and Lightroom, it would never happen.
Indeed. I started really using RAW because of Aperture and OS X's native support for it. I almost never shot RAW before that because it was too much of a pain (and flash cards were much more expensive then too).

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Would you rather pay for it? I thought not. So just enjoy the free update.

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 30, 2006, 03:14 AM

i'm enjoying the update thus far. it's faster, lots of useful additions, etc.
it takes FOREVER to make all the previews, however.

oh, and i shoot exclusively RAW. the flexibility and lack of degradation when doing certain edits is worth the space/post-time for me.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 04:17 AM

the new loupe sucks...so stuttery and slow

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2006, 01:28 PM

Color me not impressed.
Hopefully you got this fixed. If not... Delete the prefs maybe (after you do some backups)?

Like I said, I'm waiting until I have time to do a full backup of my C2D iMac before I upgrade to OS X 10.4.8 and Aperture 1.5.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2006, 10:40 PM

Hopefully you got this fixed. If not... Delete the prefs maybe (after you do some backups)?

Like I said, I'm waiting until I have time to do a full backup of my C2D iMac before I upgrade to OS X 10.4.8 and Aperture 1.5.
I have to presume something was corrupt in my library. Same thing happened on my Mac Pro, which has a copy of the same library that was on my MacBook Pro. Had to delete the Aperture library and reimport all the images (fortunately I'm an obsesive backuper). Time consuming, but at least its up and running now.

jyunderwood
Oct 1, 2006, 08:14 AM

I enjoy the ilife and iwork integration now but where's the frontrow integration?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 12:27 PM

No Front Row integration?

BTW, am I understand that we need to create the bazillion previews for stuff like iLife? Seems rather anti-Aperture philosopy, considering the whole point of Aperture is to function without duplicating files.

I have to presume something was corrupt in my library. Same thing happened on my Mac Pro, which has a copy of the same library that was on my MacBook Pro. Had to delete the Aperture library and reimport all the images (fortunately I'm an obsesive backuper). Time consuming, but at least its up and running now.
Sounds great. However, corrupt image or not, it's a big problem with Aperture if it cannot handle it.

It really should just exclude that image/group of images and keep on going, and then send you a message about it.

Did you send feedback to Apple about this?

P.S. These are 10.4.8's camera-related changes:
Adds RAW image decoding support for these cameras: Sony DSLR-A100, Nikon D2Xs, Fuji FinePix S2 Pro, Fuji FinePix S3 Pro (+Highlights) and Konica Minolta 7.

Resolves an issue in which thumbnails may appear blank when importing RAW images from a Canon 30D camera.

Improves compatibility for Canon EOS Utility software after connecting a Canon EOS Kiss Digital camera to a PowerPC-based Mac.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 1, 2006 at 12:33 PM. )

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2006, 05:29 PM

So, I gotta dual 1.25 mirror door 1.25 gb ram, and a 9600 swiped from my G5.

Updated fine, but can't launch. "Doesn't meet minimum requirements.."

Anybody have a workaround? And, yes I do own it-

thanks
-c

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2006, 11:16 PM

i also have a question.

i ran the update, i went from having 4 copies of everything in iphotos crazy file system to having and one in 1 aperture and now i have 4 copies in iphoto and 2 in aperture (the library is now 2x the size with the same number of photos.) i would like to know how i can fix this issue to have one and only one copy of everything.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ccrider
So, I gotta dual 1.25 mirror door 1.25 gb ram, and a 9600 swiped from my G5.

Updated fine, but can't launch. "Doesn't meet minimum requirements.."

Anybody have a workaround? And, yes I do own it-
There are hacks out there, but they are... hacks.

G4 Power Macs are not supported for Aperture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules