Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Buying hard drive for iPod mini. 1st gen vs 2nd gen matters?

Buying hard drive for iPod mini. 1st gen vs 2nd gen matters?
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 28, 2006, 10:50 AM

I have a 2nd gen 6 GB mini with a broken MicroDrive. Can I stick a 4 GB MicroDrive from a 1st gen mini in it?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2006, 11:44 AM

I though you decided to buy a refurb instead of fixing that one...

Anyway, since the interface is a standard, you should be able to try it and see without the risk of damaging anything. I believe the firmware is different between 1G and 2G minis though, so be prepared to "restore" the device before you try using it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2006, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I already bought a 30 GB refurb iPod (nice!) but I figure if I can get a drive cheap on eBhey I'll try fixing the mini too.

So basically you're telling me that the drive should work even if I get a 1st gen mini's drive for my 2nd gen iPod, but I should do a software restore on the iPod before I do anything else. Correct?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2006, 08:24 AM

Righto. The minidrive spec is supposed to be a close match for CF, but IIRC it has some extra functions. Those functions could be slightly different from one generation of drives to another, and thus from one generation of iPods to another. Probably not a big issue, but if you get a minidrive, plug it in, restore the iPod and check, I think it should work.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2006, 01:15 PM

Yeah, I check ebhey and it seems the sellers claim that the 1st gen drive should work in the 2nd gen minis.

However, I ordered a 2nd gen drive just to be on the safe side anyways, cuz they're the same price. I ordered a 4 GB though. The 6 GB drives cost too much and now that I have a 30 GB iPod I don't need the extra storage space.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 30, 2006, 06:01 PM

You will let us all know everything about the experience of swapping this drive out, right?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 10:14 AM

Here is the new drive:

The new old 4 GB drive works great...
However, I had broken the fragile keypad attachment ribbon to the mainboard when I disassembled the iPod mini.
So, now I'm in the market for a new keypad.

It turns out the drive and the keypad are the two most expensive items for the iPod mini on eBhey.
I guess this is pretty common... Moron drops iPod mini breaking the drive, and then moron breaks keypad disassembling iPod mini.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 02:16 AM

Are you still gonna fix it? Watching this progress is pretty interesting. Makes me wonder if I should buy a busted mini off ebay and fix it up for fun.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2006, 09:49 PM

Fixed!

As I mentioned before, I replaced the hard drive only to realize I had broken the keypad as well. Luckily I found a cheap keypad on eBhey. Replaced it, and everything is great now.

Now I have to figure out what to do with it, now that I have a 5G iPod as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules