Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animals: Also, trucks for Jawbone

Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animals: Also, trucks for Jawbone
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2016, 11:54 AM

I hope all of you are happy, enjoying family, gifts, etc., blah, blah, blah.

But for real, have a good one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2016, 12:02 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2016, 12:46 PM

And I wish a happy, festive, preferably injury and arrest-free Christmas/Hanukkah/whatever to all!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2016, 01:05 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2016, 01:20 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

OAW

mindwaves
Dec 25, 2016, 11:00 PM

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Ham Sandwich
Dec 26, 2016, 02:06 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:32 AM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2016, 04:11 PM

And of course it just wouldn't be Christmas unless I had some household drama. This year the dishwasher quit working. Crap! I get to hand wash a buttload of dishes, since I hosted Christmas dinner this year. Seeing Breaking Bad re-runs isn't helping as I Cosplay as Walter White and it get's me into that late 3rd season mid 5th season mindset.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2016, 02:30 PM

a belated Merry Christmas!!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
And of course it just wouldn't be Christmas unless I had some household drama. This year the dishwasher quit working. Crap! I get to hand wash a buttload of dishes, since I hosted Christmas dinner this year. Seeing Breaking Bad re-runs isn't helping as I Cosplay as Walter White and it get's me into that late 3rd season mid 5th season mindset.
so, the obvious question - how many people did you wack this holiday season?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2016, 02:44 PM

Just a few barrels worth.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
a belated Merry Christmas!!
Christmas is, you know, 12 days long. It end on Jan 6th with Epiphany
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Hah! I found out today my 2005 Colorado needs $1200 of brake work done. Rear drums need rebuilding, so I'm told.
45/47

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
yes indeed it does, but I had forgotten

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2016, 09:01 PM

I used to do the "twelve days of subego's future ex", but I had it end on Christmas.

I wish I had known this was the canon. That would have been less stressful, helped with post-Christmas loss of momentum, and been cheaper as I picked over the remains.

Leaping lords are a steal on the 26th.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2016, 03:23 AM

Gifts? My daughter gave me a tea mug that she made, painted, and glazed herself, by far my favorite gift.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 4, 2017, 11:15 AM

Hah! I found out today my 2005 Colorado needs $1200 of brake work done. Rear drums need rebuilding, so I'm told.
Drums are $66 each, shoes are $30, hardware kit is $16. Shouldn't be more than $250 in parts and a couple hours of tinkering. Drums are a pain in the ass but not impossible.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2017, 12:16 PM

How have you enjoyed that Colorado?

I'm going to drive my Accord until it dies, but I'd like to replace it with either a Ridgeline (newer, smaller version), 4-door Tacoma, or Colorado. I'm averse to American cars, but I love the look of Chevy's trucks.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 4, 2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Ridgeline (newer, smaller version),
The new Ridgeline is 3 inches longer, an inch wider, and the same height as the old model. It's about 300 lbs lighter and has a towing capacity that's 1500lbs less than the old one.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The new Ridgeline is 3 inches longer, an inch wider, and the same height as the old model. It's about 300 lbs lighter and has a towing capacity that's 1500lbs less than the old one.
The heck? This...

...is bigger than this?

Must be the less-bulbous design.

You know cars better than anyone else I'm connected to. Do you have a favorite mid-size truck recommendation?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2017, 05:00 AM

Used Toyota Tacoma, or used Nissan Frontier, if you're pinching those pennies. (My wife knows more about trucks than Laminar, or me, FTM.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2017, 12:02 PM

The heck? This...

...is bigger than this?

Must be the less-bulbous design.

You know cars better than anyone else I'm connected to. Do you have a favorite mid-size truck recommendation?
They redesigned the joint where the bed mates to the cabin for extra strength. For unibody truck/car things, that's where most of the stress lies and most of the twisting wants to occur. That's why the Subaru Baja, Chevy Avalanche, and Ridgeline all looked the same in that area.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Used Toyota Tacoma, or used Nissan Frontier, if you're pinching those pennies. (My wife knows more about trucks than Laminar, or me, FTM.)
That's a terrible recommendation for Jawbone. The Ridgeline is basically a car that happens to have a truck bed. The Tacoma/Frontier are body-on-frame trucks that drive and feel like tractors. Yes, they are great if you need to do truck things like towing 7000lbs or drive up steep muddy hills in 4x4 low to check on livestock. But those capabilities come at a price, and that's NVH, cramped interiors, and bad MPG. The AWD Ridgeline with its standard 280hp V6 matches a sluggish 159hp 4 cylinder Tacoma's combined mileage and the Ridgeline beats it on the highway by 2mpg (not to mention it would beat it down every onramp and in every passing lane, too). The V6 Tacoma is even worse.

Real world results from Fuelly show Tacomas sitting in the 17-18mpg range, while the 2017 Ridgeline is at a solid 20.6 right now.

But for a DD that needs to occasionally run to Home Depot, carry some mulch, or move a couch? Ridgeline all the way. Front wheel drive, preferably - since you don't need to go up any steep hills in the snow, AWD is extra weight, drag, and decreased mpgs.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2017, 11:01 PM

That's a terrible recommendation for Jawbone. The Ridgeline is basically a car that happens to have a truck bed. The Tacoma/Frontier are body-on-frame trucks that drive and feel like tractors. Yes, they are great if you need to do truck things like towing 7000lbs or drive up steep muddy hills in 4x4 low to check on livestock. But those capabilities come at a price, and that's NVH, cramped interiors, and bad MPG. The AWD Ridgeline with its standard 280hp V6 matches a sluggish 159hp 4 cylinder Tacoma's combined mileage and the Ridgeline beats it on the highway by 2mpg (not to mention it would beat it down every onramp and in every passing lane, too). The V6 Tacoma is even worse.
Speaking my language...

Go on...

But for a DD that needs to occasionally run to Home Depot, carry some mulch, or move a couch? Ridgeline all the way. Front wheel drive, preferably - since you don't need to go up any steep hills in the snow, AWD is extra weight, drag, and decreased mpgs.
It's actually terrifying how spot-on that was.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2017, 12:04 PM

We recently purchased a 2007 Honda Pilot as our "bigger than an outback but cheaper than a tribecca" compromise. Consumer Reports liked it, it has AWD, 8 seats (for small people) and cargo room. Drives a little trucky, but not too bad.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2017, 09:58 PM

FWIW, my current daily driver is an Accord and the next vehicle will likely be a Ridgeline. I drove one on a little camping trip back in August and it was fantastic. It's definitely not going to be your biggest bang for the buck but as Lam noted, it really is a fantastic "urban truck" for people who want to do outdoorsy truck things but don't need true body-on-frame advantages like heavy payloads and big towing capabilities. (FWIW on Lam's steep muddy hill scenario, other than ground clearance I'm not sure I'd bet against the torque vectoring of Honda's SH-AWD system in the Ridgeline.). I do a lot of work around the house and like to carry the odd sheet of drywall or plywood and make regular trail runs with the mountain bike - but it's nice enough that it doesn't feel or drive like a real truck.

The bed trunk storage is fantastic, the dual tailgate is such a great idea for bed access, and the interior is really nice with comfortable seats and lots of storage options (and CarPlay!). And the bed sound system was pretty great, haha......I'm not certain how much I'd actually use it where I live, but for tailgating it would be the shit.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2017, 03:40 AM

That's a terrible recommendation for Jawbone. The Ridgeline is basically a car that happens to have a truck bed.
So he wants a mediocre car with a truck bed as a fashion statement? Gotcha. Too bad we don't sell utes in the USA. Sounds like the nubs who buy an X5 just on the off chance they may get caught out in the snow one day.

Jawbone, if you want a real mid-size truck, get a Tacoma (down the road you'll love the resale value, too). If you don't really need a truck, buy a nice hatchback or wagon. I have a CTS-V wagon and it's truly a fantastic car, and it'll haul an amazing amount of stuff (and ass, doing 0-60 in ~4s).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2017, 10:29 AM

So he wants a mediocre car with a truck bed as a fashion statement?
Yes, as do most Americans that own trucks. Props to Jawbone for not just buying a ridiculous F150 like everyone else does.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2017, 10:31 AM

No dog in the fight, but the engine on the Caddy wagon looks insane.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2017, 11:31 AM

So he wants a mediocre car with a truck bed as a fashion statement? Gotcha. Too bad we don't sell utes in the USA. Sounds like the nubs who buy an X5 just on the off chance they may get caught out in the snow one day.

Jawbone, if you want a real mid-size truck, get a Tacoma (down the road you'll love the resale value, too). If you don't really need a truck, buy a nice hatchback or wagon. I have a CTS-V wagon and it's truly a fantastic car, and it'll haul an amazing amount of stuff (and ass, doing 0-60 in ~4s).
Now, c'mon, that's not what he said or meant...

I don't need a truck so I can haul a tractor LIKE A MAY'UN!!!

I need a truck so I can transport furniture (my wife has a little side business) and small-to-moderate amounts of building materials (I've been building simple desks, tables, etc.). The fact that the Ridelines also look good is a plus. Also, it's a Honda. I'm attached to Hondas.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
We recently purchased a 2007 Honda Pilot as our "bigger than an outback but cheaper than a tribecca" compromise. Consumer Reports liked it, it has AWD, 8 seats (for small people) and cargo room. Drives a little trucky, but not too bad.
My mother-in-law has bought three Pilots in a row in the 15 years I've known her. The first two lasted over 250,000 miles. I know y'all will be happy with it.

How is the steering? When I drove hers, it felt a little loose.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2017, 12:32 PM

It seems to me that 90% of europeans buy a large estate that would have bought a truck in the US. i encountered very little that my SAAB 9-5 estate wouldn't happily eat. It did deliver shitty mpg. But it was an Aero so there was a reason for that.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2017, 01:50 PM

So he wants a mediocre car with a truck bed as a fashion statement? Gotcha.
People get so hung up on whether the Ridgeline is a true body on frame truck. I don't get it. There is zero upside to BOF unless someone is doing stuff that requires it - and in fact, if they're not it's generally a downside.

Sounds like the nubs who buy an X5 just on the off chance they may get caught out in the snow one day.
Or as we like to call those nubs around here, "subegos".

I love hatches and wagons, but I don't see how someone considering a truck would realize a hatch is the way to go. A minivan or SUV, yes, but a hatchback or wagon?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Or as we like to call those nubs around here, "subegos".
Honestly, the big draw for me was it's a frigging tank, and it served well.

It got hit once... poor guy's ride ended up under the X5

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2017, 03:04 PM

I love hatches and wagons, but I don't see how someone considering a truck would realize a hatch is the way to go. A minivan or SUV, yes, but a hatchback or wagon?
Yeah, I owned a hatchback once. Wasn't for me.

We do have a 2010 Odyssey, but larger items won't fit, and my wife got furious when I put a dent in our dashboard when transporting a ladder.

My favorite vehicle thus far was a Honda Element that eventually died on me after driving it all over the country. The storage when folding the seats up was amazing, it drove well (albeit slowly), and the MPG was good for what it was.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
No dog in the fight, but the engine on the Caddy wagon looks insane.
It's basically a 6th gen Corvette Z06 with comfort and cargo space. Great car.

andi*pandi
Jan 12, 2017, 03:42 PM

How is the steering? When I drove hers, it felt a little loose.
We tested two. The first had been beat on by a BC student, and it steered with effort and jounced on every pothole. The one we bought was higher trim pkg and well maintained by yuppies, so the steering seems smooth and suspension much better. Turning radius is better than expected for larger vehicle, but I need more practice parking it.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
We tested two. The first had been beat on by a BC student, and it steered with effort and jounced on every pothole. The one we bought was higher trim pkg and well maintained by yuppies, so the steering seems smooth and suspension much better. Turning radius is better than expected for larger vehicle, but I need more practice parking it.
That was phrased so beautifully.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2017, 10:24 PM

I considered the Pilot a few years ago, along with the Ridgeline and the Acura MDX. The biggest, maybe only, drawback of the Ridgeline for me was that it was too long to fit in my garage comfortably. To be fair, a full sized Accord is also too long to fit in my garage.* I've ridden in Ridgelines, and they ride very nicely, plus offer plenty of interior features while still offering a real truck bed with a decent load capacity.

*The 2014 Ridgeline was 207" long, and I only had room for about 185". I wound up buying a BMW X3, which was priced competitively with both the 2014 Pilot (193" long) and the 2014 MDX (194" long), but only 183" long. (Did that make sense? The BMW cost only a little more than the Honda/Acura vehicles, but was short enough that it fits in my garage.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The BMW cost only a little more than the Honda/Acura vehicles, but was short enough that it fits in my garage.)
Yes, the Pilot is in a size class above the X3 - the Pilot is a three row and has more front and rear legroom than the X3 in addition to a third row of a seats.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2017, 10:21 PM

I can't see myself needing that extra leg room; I'm 6'2" and I've ridden behind my 6' tall son without any issues. But then, I don't need a third row of seats, either.

I just had a conversation with a coworker over lunch today about the convenience factor of an SUV versus a truck. For a daily use vehicle, where that daily use doesn't include taking advantage of the truck bed's capacity, SUVs tend to win out (i.e. the Pilot over the Ridgeline), but if you frequently toss a two week camping trip's equipment in the back of your vehicle, the truck tends to win out. I occasionally cuss about having to fold down the back seat and arrange stuff just-so in order to get lumber home, but that's very infrequent. On the other hand, I don't have a close friend who owns a pickup truck, so there's nobody to sponge off of.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2018, 03:23 PM

Jawbone, I ended up with a Ridgeline, haha. Did you ever spring for one?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2018, 11:38 AM

Actually waiting on my truck to arrive (used Texas Auto Direct, which is now owned by Vroom.com).

I wound up buying a Colorado:

How do you like your Ridgeline?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2018, 08:57 AM

Nice. I assume the prices are probably pretty good down there.

I’m a huge fan. It’s a city truck that drives with the comfort of an SUV (but with less roll). It’s super nice inside - even the rear seats are adult usable. Lots of storage and the trunk in the bed is super cool. It’s perfect for regular-person use - weekend skis & snowboard, mountain bikes, weekend cottage trips, a new washer/dryer from Home Depot, some studs and drywall for a little basement reno. I don’t really need the towing capacity myself but you’d have to have a pretty serious trailer to exceed the 5000lbs.

I even got a tent for the bed. Still too cold to use it up here, but the three-year-old is going to lose her shit when we sleep out in the driveway this summer.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2018, 11:44 AM

I’m a huge fan. It’s a city truck that drives with the comfort of an SUV (but with less roll). It’s super nice inside - even the rear seats are adult usable. Lots of storage and the trunk in the bed is super cool. It’s perfect for regular-person use - weekend skis & snowboard, mountain bikes, weekend cottage trips, a new washer/dryer from Home Depot, some studs and drywall for a little basement reno. I don’t really need the towing capacity myself but you’d have to have a pretty serious trailer to exceed the 5000lbs.
All sounds good. I'm really glad you like it. If I was getting a brand-new truck, it would have been more of an option for me. The rear seats with room for adults are especially appealing.

I even got a tent for the bed. Still too cold to use it up here, but the three-year-old is going to lose her shit when we sleep out in the driveway this summer.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2018, 09:26 PM

Yeah I got a 2017 - little over a year old, just used enough for a nice discount.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2018, 09:31 PM

I will say that I have two annoyances with it: first, the tailgate doesn’t lock. The trunk in the bed locks with the cabin, which is perfect, but without a lock for the tailgate putting stuff in the bed definitely feels a little less secure (particularly if you have a tonneau cover I imagine...).

The other one is the infotainment system. It can be pretty annoying I must admit. I’ve played around with the newest Accord and Honda seems to have really stepped up the latest touchscreens. But the Ridgeline still uses their old button-free capacitive system and it’s definitely an inelegant setup (it is nice to have CarPlay, although that also badly needs a significant update).

But otherwise, it pretty much feels like a Pilot or Odyssey inside. Which is actually pretty nice.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2018, 03:55 PM

As of mid 2017 (my now one-year old CRV) the Honda infotainment system has improved quite a bit. Mine has the nav system as well as all LCD display instruments, so the old little sub-display units are gone and everything is either on the nav/audio/etc display or on the “instrument cluster.”

I really like it, and comparing it to a non-nav Honda (my wife’s Civic), it seems like Honda has made things more similar rather than stratifying the systems as they had in the past. My wife’s Civic has an infotainment display that’s slightly smaller than my nav display, but the instrument display is very similar, so there’s no paradigm shift between the two vehicles.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2018, 04:13 PM

No infotainment in the van, so I’m forced to “suffer” with an iPad Mini.

Oh woe is me.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
As of mid 2017 (my now one-year old CRV) the Honda infotainment system has improved quite a bit. Mine has the nav system as well as all LCD display instruments, so the old little sub-display units are gone and everything is either on the nav/audio/etc display or on the “instrument cluster.”

I really like it, and comparing it to a non-nav Honda (my wife’s Civic), it seems like Honda has made things more similar rather than stratifying the systems as they had in the past. My wife’s Civic has an infotainment display that’s slightly smaller than my nav display, but the instrument display is very similar, so there’s no paradigm shift between the two vehicles.
Yes, the CRV basically added a volume knob for 2017, which was the most common complaint - it’s the upgraded version of mine (I looked at getting one before going with the Ridgeline). I hate capacitive screens that you actually have to look at to use...what a terrible idea for a car.

The new Accord has a new system with a bunch of buttons and a new type of system UI. It seemed pretty nice.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 25, 2018, 06:00 PM

While my CRV has the volume knob/power button, my wife’s Civic does not - but they’re still both 2017s. I’m guessing it’s the difference between the nav and non-nav systems, but I could be wrong.

Also, my CRV has a pseudo-slider control on the steering wheel for audio volume. Slide up on it and volume goes up, down and it goes down. You can use the + and - clickers on the top and bottom of the slider too. But on that same gadget on my wife’s Civic, only the + and - clickers work, not the slide. That’s pretty curious to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules