Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Have you used Thunderbird?

Have you used Thunderbird?
Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 12:12 PM

I may move from Apple's Mail.app to Thunderbird and I'd like some pro's and con's that people have found out.

Basically I really want smart folders and I'm on 10.3.9 and the OS is not mine to upgrade.

So let me know your opinions. For or Against

Thanks

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2005, 02:20 PM

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't known that Thunderbird had smart folders, and I've been using it for months. It would seem that they haven't done a very good job of exposing this functionality to the user.

Thunderbird doesn't support Spotlight, but if you're not using Tiger then this is not really an issue, since you don't have Spotlight anyway.

Other than that, I don't really know of any major cons. I like the interface, which can be made to mimic an old program called Claris Emailer, widely considered to have had one of the best interfaces for an e-mail program ever. Sadly, Apple killed it when they bought Claris, and mail.app's interface doesn't quite measure up. This said, the interface is very much something you either love or hate; you might not like it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 02:28 PM

Saved Searches = Smart Folders. Yea, Thunderbird doesn't advertise it that well and they should. I believe only two email clients actually have them. Apple and Thunderbird.

glyph
Jul 1, 2005, 02:41 PM

Download it and try it out. It won't cost you anything.

http://www.mozilla.org/

I use Thunderbird on Panther but Mail is as good - I just prefer TB. I used Mail for a while because I liked the Spam Sieve plug-in. On my G5 1.8 dual, Mail in Tiger is just too unreliable.

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 03:12 PM

My only issue is that I'm using POP mail and I don't want to loose anything. Or screw it up. But I'm giving it a try.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2005, 04:52 PM

Since you're on 10.3.9, your version of Mail should still use the mbox format to store its messages (it switched to maildir in 10.4 so that it could support Spotlight). Thunderbird uses this same format, so it should be able to import them without any problems
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

step
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2005, 07:36 PM

i've swapped my mail between mail.app and thunderbird a few times, no real problems, didn't lose any messages, it kept all the attachments attached, so if you switch you can switch back if you don't like it.
i loved thunderbird, very robust, i would have stuck with it for good if tiger mail hadn't been such an improvement.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 07:59 PM

I used Thunderbird for a month just recently to see how I liked it vs Mail. I have 6 email accounts that are fairly active, and mail handles them well.

I found Thunderbird to have much potential, and is just fine for normal usage. However I missed some things I take for granted in a Mac program, such as:

• System-wide spell check (underlines)
• Dragging an image or file into a message to be attached does not attach it, but rather inserts a text 'path' to the file.
• Many preferences in strange and hard to find places (signatures, passwords)
• No address book integration
• Feels 'windowsy' in a way. Can't nail why.

In the end, I came back to Mail because I love it. Admittedly I am using Tiger's Mail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules