Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Merom in the MB/MBP? Cooler?

Merom in the MB/MBP? Cooler?
bo989
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 10:39 AM

Hi guys,

About the only thing holding me back from buying a MB/MBP is the thought of an upcomming upgrade to Merom. I was wondering if I could get comments on when you think this will happen to each line and, especially, whether this will solve the heat problem. Will Merom run significantly cooler?

Do you see any other significant upgrades to either line by September?

Thanks for your comments.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 11:32 AM

That is a million dollar question, but I think the answer is relatively easy to answer. The answer is how the notebook is designed to dissipate heat, and whether Apple will be able to re-engineer the enclosure to do that effectively.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

NeoEsper
Jun 20, 2006, 12:20 PM

I say around Aug/Sept we will see an upgrade in the MBP having the same features as the MB, like the latchless screen and the user replaceable HDD.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 12:47 PM

Im hoping on August as im selling my G5 and iBook to get a MBP, and am selling the G5 in august before the price plummets. So I dont want to wait too long stuck with just a PC. I would buy a MBP now as im not bothered about the speed increase in the memrom MBP's, but what holds me back is the overheating and the whine and the fact that its been out since january and I know a few modifications are due soon
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 04:41 PM

According to Intel Merom will run cooler & faster than Yonah. The question is would Apple allow for a firmware that'll be more active in cooling a Macbook Pro. As I see it MBP & MB are dreadfully warm because of Apple's obsession with battery silence & battery power consumption.

Forum Links
Forum Rules