Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Next Apple CEO?

Next Apple CEO?
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 08:07 PM

I was thinking about this a few days ago but I saw this article today so I decided to post. What will happen when Steve leaves? Who will take over? Will Apple survive?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 08:12 PM

Philip W. Schiller

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2007, 08:15 PM

I don't even want to think about it.

Definitely will sell my stock before that happens.

-t

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2007, 08:25 PM

Me.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't even want to think about it.

Definitely will sell my stock before that happens.

-t
Ditto.

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 09:52 PM

Apple will go with someone with a completely different personality. Trying to replace someone with an identical match is almost certain to fail. The only way around it is to find someone completely new that "shares Steve's sense of design." That's all.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2007, 10:15 PM

I dread to think of what will happen to my AAPL stock if Steve announces that he is leaving. I hope I am out of it by then...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 10:34 PM

George W. Bush

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 10:46 PM

Jeff Goldblum.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 11:38 PM

Drew Carey. Wait, wrong thread.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 12:38 AM

Bill Gates. I hear he'll be free by then.

Think About It Different.

PaperNotes
Sep 15, 2007, 09:32 AM

Jonathan Ive. One need not say more except that if Jobs is the software, Ive is the hardware.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 09:36 AM

Gil Amelio.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 10:12 AM

I am 100% confident that Steve himself is working on this problem, and introduce him/her to us in the Last Stevenote. And we will be 100% sold.

And I have a feeling it will be someone from inside Apple.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2007, 11:58 AM

I was thinking about this last week. I think Apple will plummet after it happens. I just don't see this company succeeding without Jobs.

I see Apple getting out of the computer hardware business after he leaves, maybe making OSX open to third parties.

PaperNotes
Sep 15, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I was thinking about this last week. I think Apple will plummet after it happens. I just don't see this company succeeding without Jobs.

I see Apple getting out of the computer hardware business after he leaves, maybe making OSX open to third parties.
Jobs said he wants Apple to be the new Sony so they will remain hardware manufacturers but will diversify into more phones, HD television, home theater, in car systems, in flight systems, digital photography/videography etc. Jonathan Ive is the perfect man for that role. Just look at his credits.

There will come a time when OS X will be licensed to another company on a limited selection of special edition machines for a trial period. The results of that trial will determine whether OS X will continue to be licensed to that one other company. If it doesn't hurt sales of Apple Macs and does increase the overall sales of machines with OS X on them, then that one company could become a permanent OS X licensee.

The hidden hand of The Steve will remain long after he retires. He will always be keeping an eye and giving his opinion.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I am 100% confident that Steve himself is working on this problem, and introduce him/her to us in the Last Stevenote. And we will be 100% sold.

And I have a feeling it will be someone from inside Apple.
He has a Mini-Steve in the oven. It's a Steve clone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
... phones, HD television, home theater, in car systems, in flight systems, digital photography/videography etc. Jonathan Ive is the perfect man for that role. Just look at his credits.
What credits, aside from his design accolades ?

Design star != good CEO.

-t

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 05:27 PM

Wow, you should get into comedy. I haven't laughed that hard in days.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2007, 06:04 PM

You've seen how Apple does without him. Unless they get a spiritual successor who can actually deliver a good keynote (dear god, have you seen Phil try?) and get people as pumped about Apple's products, it'll be a long, slow decline.

I'm glad you appreciate the comedy, enlightened one. It's nice of you to come down from the mountain from time to time.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 06:09 PM

I didn't think it was comedic. What you said actually made me feel kind of squeamish.

Sep 15, 2007, 06:52 PM

Jean Toulouse will be perfect for the job.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2007, 06:53 PM

Wayne Newton sound good?
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 08:02 PM

You've seen how Apple does without him. Unless they get a spiritual successor who can actually deliver a good keynote (dear god, have you seen Phil try?) and get people as pumped about Apple's products, it'll be a long, slow decline.

I'm glad you appreciate the comedy, enlightened one. It's nice of you to come down from the mountain from time to time.
I notice every time there's a guest speaker that's a partner CEO at a Stevenote. It's uncanny how much more comfortable he is speaking on the stage. I don't consider myself an acolyte of the church of Jobs, but when given a direct comparison of him to others, he's obviously the man to beat. I find those instances highly entertaining.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2007, 10:31 PM

I just hope they don't get someone like Monkey Boy (M$).

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 11:18 PM

Okay, my real vote? Noah Wyle (warning: YouTube).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2007, 01:11 AM

this is one of those topics that i never want to read. i think the only logical choice is for steve to start allocating resources to cloning research so we can continue with Jobs (and his clones) for a long time. I fear the day when we lose the jeans and black turtleneck keynote

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Okay, my real vote? Noah Wyle (warning: YouTube).
That was funny.

Here's another good one

YouTube - South Park Mac vs. PC

PaperNotes
Sep 16, 2007, 01:48 AM

What credits, aside from his design accolades ?

-t
What do you mean by that? The hardware he and his team designed isn't isolated off from the rest of Apple/ His department works on developing new patented technologies and works closely with the software developers to deliver those products to market. Half of Apple's share value is the iPod alone and that is a Jonathan Ive invention. It was he who designed the original iMac (all iMacs, but this is the one that got Apple moving again) that brought Apple back from the dead. He also designed the 20th Anniversary Mac before The Return of The Steve. Ive has been behind every Mac since and the iPhone too.

He should be blamed for not making PowerBooks and MBPs scratch resistant though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2007, 03:20 AM

I doubt Jonathan has a lot to do with HW and SW. He does the industrial design, that's it.

Steve is the one who brings it together.

-t

PaperNotes
Sep 16, 2007, 03:35 AM

I doubt Jonathan has a lot to do with HW and SW. He does the industrial design, that's it.

-t
If you look at the iPod just about everything about what made it successful is the hardware - the design and the scroll wheel. The software was by Pixo and was nothing special. Credit for that one really does go mostly to the industrial design guys. Same goes for the original iMac. The OS was failing to get attention and losing more and more market share until Ive designed the iMac.

I think Steve gives his opinions on things and comes up with some software ideas. Most of the time it is his presence that generates creativity. The real credit goes to individuals in the software and hardware departments for coming up with innovative tech and cool designs. Steve builds on them with his opinions. Ive and his team come up with product designs based around those inventions and work with the software dept to make them a reality.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 04:36 AM

It does not matter how great of a designer Johnatan Ive is. He is just not CEO material. He is reclusive, shy and not a brilliant business mind. You may as well say that Steve Wozniak would have been a great CEO.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

PaperNotes
Sep 16, 2007, 04:58 AM

I don't know about reclusive and shy. Ive always gives an excellent presentation in all the ads he has been in (that almost never feature The Steve). As for his business sense, he isn't aggressive and pushy like Steve but he knows about usability and what customers like to see and feel product wise.

Ado
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2007, 06:04 AM

The person to replace Steve Jobs as CEO will be an advance version of Macintosh in made in Steve's image.

Schiller is an oath, hes the Ballmer of Apple.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 06:29 AM

The Steve Jobs that left Apple in 1985 is not the same Steve Jobs that returned to Apple in 1996. I feel there were many life lessons learned during the NeXT years.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 06:34 AM

Jonathan Schwartz, give that guy a hair cut... hit him in the head regarding Java, and I think you could have a good CEO. Granted, I think he could use some coaching from Mr. Jobs as well, but that goes without saying.

[video] Apple using Sun file system | CNET News.com

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
I don't know about reclusive and shy. Ive always gives an excellent presentation in all the ads he has been in (that almost never feature The Steve). As for his business sense, he isn't aggressive and pushy like Steve but he knows about usability and what customers like to see and feel product wise.
Industrial Designer != CEO.

It's a completely different skillset. Steve Jobs is a business man first. He appreciates good design, but he has very little clue on how to actually design a computer or software. His skills are in business and people management augmented by his "vision".

Johnny Ive is BRILLIANT at what he does, but it takes a completely different skill set to run a business.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2007, 11:14 PM

Maybe it will be C.A.T.S. CEO!! Am I being off topic?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2007, 02:48 AM

-t
I really doubt Jobs is that integral to every decision at Apple. Apple has about 20k staff, have you seen their executives:
Steve Jobs, CEO & Co-founder
Steve Wozniak, Co-founder
Timothy D. Cook, COO
Peter Oppenheimer, CFO
Philip W. Schiller, SVP Marketing
Jonathan Ive, SVP Industrial Design
Tony Fadell, SVP iPod Division
Ron Johnson, SVP Retail
Sina Tamaddon, SVP Applications
Bertrand Serlet, SVP Software Engineering
Scott Forstall, VP Platform Experience
there are SO many people that work behind the scenes at Apple, just because Jobs' presents it doesn't mean he was integral to designing it.
we don't have time to stop for gas

PaperNotes
Sep 17, 2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I really doubt Jobs is that integral to every decision at Apple. Apple has about 20k staff, have you seen their executives:

there are SO many people that work behind the scenes at Apple, just because Jobs' presents it doesn't mean he was integral to designing it.
That's what I said. I think he provides an inspiration and is good at micro-management, peering into offices and asking how things are going. He is the best at onstage showmanship too. The Steve is neither a software developer or hardware designer. None of Apple's new (last 5 years) patents appear to mention him when the inventor's names are noted on the patent. He's a power of nature and that's what grabs attention. Ive lacks that kind of charisma but I think investors would be pleased to see him in a higher position because his name is attached to Apple's products.

Schiller has b!tch tits.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2007, 04:22 PM

Bring Back Wozzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Bring Back Wozzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!