Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Satisfied or unsatisfied with new iPhone specs??

Satisfied or unsatisfied with new iPhone specs??
eTron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 05:54 PM

3G of course
Thinner
Black plastic back
All metal buttons
Same display
Camera
Flush headphone jack
Much improved audio
GPS

300 hours standby
10 hours 2G talktime
5 hours 3G talktime

(copied from another thread)

I'm a little disappointed in the new iPhone personally. Would have liked to see more than 3G and GPS. The rest is all software and can be upgraded on the existing iPhone. How about a better camera, notes syncing, to-do list app / syncing (maybe app store and free hopefully), more apps with landscape mode keyboard... many more, but won't complain too much as I am still getting the white one.

Oh yeah... Stereo Bluetooth? Nothing mentioned there either... and MMS?
( Last edited by eTron; Jun 9, 2008 at 06:01 PM. )

aepple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 06:45 PM

the biggest problem i had with the iPHONE beside no GPS was the service provider, at&t is the worst in my area (NY/NJ). Verizon is the best, i end up getting the voyager, unless you live in a area with good at&t service you'll end up having a good phone with bad service. I get reception where ever i'm at with verizon and i never get a drop call.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 06:56 PM

I'm pretty satified with the new specs, but no so much so that I'm ready to put my current iPhone out to pasture. Cell-tower triangulation works good enough for my needs, and the data speeds are also fast enough for my main use--email.

What I am seriously looking forward to is the OTA sync of calendar and contact info via .Mac (MobileMe and me.com are horrid, horrid names--I'd expect that from Microsoft). In fact, I finally paid for my trial account today to lock in my @mac.com email address.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by aepple View Post
the biggest problem i had with the iPHONE beside no GPS was the service provider, at&t is the worst in my area (NY/NJ). Verizon is the best, i end up getting the voyager, unless you live in a area with good at&t service you'll end up having a good phone with bad service. I get reception where ever i'm at with verizon and i never get a drop call.
I don't own an iphone or an at&t serviced phone, but my girlfriend does. And we both live in NY and she gets terrible service in a lot of places. It's the only thing holding me back from picking up the new iphone, but even that is not enough. I plan on getting the phone regardless.

eTron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by aepple View Post
I couldnt agree more about the provider. AT&T is the worst provider I have ever had by far. I actually switched from Verizon to get the iPhone. I don't like talking on the phone and avoid it usually so it didn't matter that much. I get dropped or crappy reception at least once or twice a day and I only use it 2 or 3 times for calls a day... thats sad. Verizon was awesome! More problems with AT&T in a week or two than a whole year on Verizon.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 09:42 PM

Do we get to keep our .Mac e-mail addresses? I don't want to switch it to .mobileme.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 09:46 PM

Yeah, surely they'll let us keep them.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 09:49 PM

I might get a 3G iPhone, but only if Rogers or Fido have a reasonably priced data plan here in Canada. That's it; because on hardware specs alone, the new iPhone doesn't make me want to upgrade from my 1st-gen iPhone. The speed and GPS may be nice, but as others have mentioned, the improvements are mainly in software, which I'll get anyway.

What would have made me want to upgrade would have been a higher-res camera with flash, video capture, and a forward-facing low-res camera for video chat.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Jun 9, 2008 at 10:05 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 09:58 PM

The iPhone 2.0 leaves me looking forward to the new iTouch.

AT&T only (monthly cost, customer "service"), no physical keyboard, and no tethering aren't going to work for me. I'll take the BlackBerry Bold on T-mobile instead.

Also, the need for Apple to approve apps eliminates a lot of cool possibilities; slightly worse than BBOS (unsigned apps can use limited APIs), but a lot worse than WinMo/Symbian which can do things like phone as an access point.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2008, 01:30 AM

Wish it had MMS and Bluetooth File Transfer. Other than that, fairly satisfied, although everyone already knew it would have 3G and GPS. For $199, I can't complain.

I'm thinking I'll go with the 8 GB version. I have over 50 GB of music and videos, so the higher end one wouldn't store everything either. No point for me to get the larger one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 02:51 AM

No tethering is a bummer, but I was certain we wouldn't see it anyway.

Leaving the camera the way it was is cheap, but since I don't use cell phone cameras anyway, I personally couldn't care less. The 3G, GPS, and battery life are very nice. IMHO the biggest disappointment with this release is 8/16 GB instead of 16/32 GB. I hope this will change soon. I'm anxious to see the iPod touch 2.0. Not being locked to a single carrier and an expensive plan as well as getting a 32 GB device will likely win me over.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 03:08 AM

I've gone from getting one for sure to waiting and seeing how reports are over the next month. Might be worth it to wait for 2.1 already having one.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 03:35 AM

Yeah, I was disappointed in the storage size. I was really hoping for a 32Gb model. My current 1st gen iPhone will hold me off until the next release. The only thing I will be missing is the 3G and GPS.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 05:27 AM

Only real disappointment is the same spec camera. Will the SDK allow video capture apps so that it CAN be used for video? (I'm guessing that the same spec means still no video in the standard phone). I'm not bothered with a front facing chat camera, I've got one on my W850i and never used it. 32GB would have been nice.

The new pricing is a lot better:

8GB
£99 on £30 and £35 tariffs
Free on £45 and £75 tariffs

16GB
£159 on £30 and £35 tariffs
£59 on £45 tariff
Free on £75 tariff

I know there's a difference because of price subsidy etc, but a £99 phone on a £30 contract is a lot better than the old system (£35 minimum tariff and £269 handset price).

After the $199 announcement yesterday I was thinking the UK conversion would still be pretty bad (I was expecting it to be £129 minimum handset price, as the $199 is equivalent to an 8GB iPod nano).

There may well be an iPhone in my future in September when my contract is up.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 06:02 AM

I wouldn't say I'm "unsatisfied," but I have some concerns and am disappointed about some things.

Disappointments:

- That plastic back. MacBook plastic on something carried as much as a phone. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
- 16 GB max? I was hoping for 32. I'm tired of having to "manage" my media.
- Camera is still lame. I want One Device to Rule Them All. A 2 MP, flashless camera doesn't cut it.
- And did I mention that plastic back?

Lastly, I was hoping the rumors about MobileMe being Apple & Google getting into bed together further were true. Just this year, I switched to Gmail, moved my pics to Picasa and had pretty-much abandoned .Mac for everything but syncing. Now Apple's bringin' it with slick Ajax web stuff. I'll definitely spring for MobileMe, but probably only for The Cloud. I can't imagine leaving Gmail. It's PERFECT... Best mail ever. And Web Gallery is crazy slow compared to the simplicity of Picasa.

Here's to hoping Google releases a native Gmail application that I can use in place of iPhone's Mail.app.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
That plastic back. MacBook plastic on something carried as much as a phone. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
Who says it's the same type of case as the BlackBook? Do we have any kind of confirmation or is that just your guess?

On Apple's iPod gallery pages and in the new TV ad the back looks a whole lot shinier than the BlackBook to me.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 07:26 AM

Disappointments:

- That plastic back. MacBook plastic on something carried as much as a phone. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
That seems like a premature remark. without having it in our hands, there's no way to know if the plastic back will be a "disaster" beside most of the iPhones I've seen are in a case, so who cares about the back of the phone

- 16 GB max? I was hoping for 32. I'm tired of having to "manage" my media.
Agreed but I suspect the cost of memory is the major contributor here, they're pushing the lower cost aspect and you cannot have both.

- Camera is still lame. I want One Device to Rule Them All. A 2 MP, flashless camera doesn't cut it.
Oh please, I've never seen a good picture taken from a phone camera. I'd rather pictures with a digital camera that was designed to capture great pictures, not make phone calls.. There's no replacement. Having a camera on a phone can be nice from time to time but it certainly doesn't come close to what a Panasonic TZ5 can do
- And did I mention that plastic back?
Yes and the point still stands - does it even matter. Majority of people use a case [that I've witnessed] and we have no idea of the plastic's durability. I've heard a lot of complaints about the back of the older generation of iPhones getting scratched easily. There's no pleasing people it seems.

Lastly, I was hoping the rumors about MobileMe being Apple & Google getting into bed together further were true. Just this year, I switched to Gmail, moved my pics to Picasa and had pretty-much abandoned .Mac for everything but syncing. Now Apple's bringin' it with slick Ajax web stuff. I'll definitely spring for MobileMe, but probably only for The Cloud. I can't imagine leaving Gmail. It's PERFECT... Best mail ever. And Web Gallery is crazy slow compared to the simplicity of Picasa.

Here's to hoping Google releases a native Gmail application that I can use in place of iPhone's Mail.app.
I'm glad they didn't. I hate gmail, I don't like it at all. Also apple already has a product called aperture. It would send mixed messages if it started using picasa .mac isn't for everyone and if you're happy with google. Great, but that doesn't mean that apple needs to embrace google apps just because you like them

Here's my $.02 on the iphone
In general, I'm liking the specs. Overall looks like apple has done a great job, as usual, in designing it. The battery life seems a little meager with the 3g but I suppose you cannot have thinner and a larger battery. I'll wait till apple starts selling it before deciding if this is for me or not.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 03:12 PM

Everything seems better, but lack of BT info is unfortunate. And the fact that "flush headphone jack" is a feature is pretty ridiculous.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 02:31 AM

Well judging from this pic they certainly aren't using the same material as for the BlackBook.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2008, 12:24 AM

The one thing I see is that there is no dock included now. If you want one you have to pay $49 extra. That cuts into the savings off the 1st generations cost. I will have to see one in person to decide if the plastic vs metal back makes a difference.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 06:39 AM

From what I've read the plastic improves the range of the phone.

What does the dock give you that you're willing to spend an extra 50 bucks?

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2008, 09:22 AM

Not that satisfied

1.- Memory 32,64 or even 128 Gbyte, I would pay double the price
2.- Video Conferencing Camera at the front
3.- No camera at the back
4.- 640x480 Monitor
5.- Nike+ Support
6.- Longer battery life
7.- Metal case
and...
maybe an pluggable antenna wouldn't be that bad (Antenna or Pen)

Best Regards
P.D.: Where is it possible to by a brand new iPhone Classic?

moep
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 09:42 AM

I want an iPhone Pro.
Aluminum back, 64 GB, some sort of micro-SD slot, a real camera, fully functional Bluetooth (yes, for syncing too) and maybe throw in an bigger OLED Display with higher resolution and make the bezels even thinner.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 10:22 AM

I want a pony!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by moep
and make the bezels even thinner.
Read on the Apple website that the chrome bezel is actually an antenna .. as is the little metal ring around the camera lens on the back. Guess everything there is for a reason.

iLounge and others who've gone hands on with the iP3G have all said that the back is not some magical sturdy plastic and that those who care about keeping 'em pristine will be buying new cases.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2008, 11:19 AM

Why not a full suite of bluetooth profiles (A2Dp, FTP/OBEX/OPP, etc)? I don't understand why any phone with bluetooth these days should be released without a full set of functional profiles - what's the point of hamstringing the technology? Even if you don't use them a lot, being able to push and pull files (any and every file) can be extremely useful sometimes.

And for those of us who live in the near 90% of the AT&T network (area) that does NOT have 3G, who cares about it? And AT&T seems to be moving really sloooow about actually adding 3G to wholly new areas. Just my feeling that a lot of the 3G hype is just that, since it really is available in so little of the country.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 12:29 PM

Guess I'm the only one with no gripes, I can see how it's lame that the camera isn't on the back (why not?) but all in all I'm impressed enough to buy one.

I never need more than 8GB of music, I really wanted a GPS, and I wasn't sold on the old iPhone due to the internet speed.

I can't wait until July 11th!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
the camera isn't on the back
huh?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 02:19 PM

No. I am not satisfied.

I need at least 83 gigs of storage, and a 12 megapixel SLR camera. It should also have a full pull out keyboard, a flashlight, a retinal scanner, 4 USB ports... and it should poop out golden eggs.

It also needs to be free.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2008, 02:21 PM

I was dying for the announcement, then I saw the new specs and really am completely unimpressed. If I didn't already own an iPhone I would be happy with the new iPhone 3G.

The 3G offers me nothing of use and doesn't improve upon the phone I already have, not for my uses. It has the same look, different back (negative marks for the rounded back), same processor, same system memory, same camera, same lack of video, it's almost identical... I call it iPhone 1.5 as it's not really a complete redesign nor does it offer any vast improvements over the original. I was really hoping they would increase the system memory so things like Flash would be able to run in the browser without crashing the phone due to lack of memory. But they didn't do that either... and we still don't have Flash support which sucks... 3G means broadband and most broadband sites have Flash on them now days.

I think most people will be very disappointed in AT&T's 3G network. Many people are racing out to get the new iPhone and they don't realize that they don't even have 3G network service in their area. Even if you are in a AT&T 3G cell (some 90% of the country isn't in their coverage area), you'll find their service is horrible at best. To me, it's not worth the extra $10 for 3G service that will run at Edge speeds the majority of the time anyway.

As for the GPS, it's a novelty for me. I have no use for it, but it might be fun to play with a couple of times. But then I have GPS's (in my car, on my bike, portables) and I rarely use them. To me this doesn't warrant the higher month service fee and the expense of buying a new phone and extending my contract.

I think the new 3G looks uglier than the original iPhone, I'm not into plastic. I like metal, it looks nicer. I also don't like the rounded back side of the new 3G. Now the phone won't sit flat on its back for speaker phone calls, it will wobble around on the desk. Bad idea Apple.

I'm very excited about the firmware 2.0 update though. I can't wait to get exchange support on my iPhone and native apps. It will breath new life into my little buddy.

I'll pass on the 3G unless my current iPhone dies or I finally decide I want the 16GB version. But I hear a 32GB version is in the works for later this year - I'll likely wait for it.

moep
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 03:55 PM

Read on the Apple website that the chrome bezel is actually an antenna .. as is the little metal ring around the camera lens on the back. Guess everything there is for a reason.
I don't know, that seems a bit odd.
If the chrome bezel is acting as an antenna then what is the plastic-part on the original iPhone for?
Also, I don't think its would be good for the antenna to be in direct touch with the human skin all the time (grounding and such... but I'm no electrician).
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
huh?
Guess I should learn to not listen to people unequivocally in these boards.

Yes, the camera is on the back...I couldn't fathom why it wouldn't be.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2008, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I don't know, that seems a bit odd.
If the chrome bezel is acting as an antenna then what is the plastic-part on the original iPhone for?
Also, I don't think its would be good for the antenna to be in direct touch with the human skin all the time (grounding and such... but I'm no electrician).
No matter how odd that may sound to you, but Apple says it loud and clear.

Apple - iPhone - Features - 3G

More wireless. Less space.
iPhone 3G delivers UMTS, HSDPA, GSM, Wi-Fi, EDGE, GPS, and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR in one compact device — using only two antennas. Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself. And intelligent iPhone power management technology gives you up to 5 hours of talk time over 3G networks.2 That’s some of the best in the business.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2008, 03:43 AM

Those tricky devils. Now, if it doesn't show fingerprints so easily.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 13, 2008, 09:05 AM

I've had a Blackjack with 3G for almost 2 years and 90% of the time I've gone online with it it indicates that it's using 3G. So I guess I've had good coverage for a while? The talk I see in this thread about limited 3G availability is similar to what I saw 2 years ago at places like hofo. I didn't know it was that bad still.

I don't like what I read about the iPhone 3G. Not supporting the bluetooth protocols is just dumb. My last 2 phone(covering 3+ years) could send/receive push/pull pictures and ringtones to/from my Mac. And an Apple phone can't?! Good gravy.
ice

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
Not that satisfied

1.- Memory 32,64 or even 128 Gbyte, I would pay double the price
The problem is that most (including myself) would not be willing. Higher prices will equate lower sales and that's not what apple is trying to achieve.
2.- Video Conferencing Camera at the front
Not a bad idea, I don't see the need for it myself but then I don't see a need for a camera on my phone.
you want a camera in the front and back - seems like over-kill. there's a thing called feature creep and adding too much will effect size, battery and price point

4.- 640x480 Monitor
Doing so would either make the iPhone too big or the text too small.
5.- Nike+ Support
Agreed but given that apple is limiting this to only the nano, and no other iPod we'll never see it.
6.- Longer battery life
Agreed but you cannot have more features and a thinner form factor without giving something up and this time it seems apple decided on battery life. I'd rather have the 1st gen thickness and better battery life
7.- Metal case
From what I've read at gizmodo and endgadget the plastic back has positive reviews. To be honest since I don't own one and if/when I do, it will have a case. The enclosure material matters little to me.

maybe an pluggable antenna wouldn't be that bad (Antenna or Pen)
Good idea, I think we've all been in locations where an antenna would have helped greatly.

P.D.: Where is it possible to by a brand new iPhone Classic?
If you mean the 1st gen iPhone, eBay, or some AT&T stores may still have them but I suspect ebay is your best shot at getting the old one.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I've had a Blackjack with 3G for almost 2 years and 90% of the time I've gone online with it it indicates that it's using 3G. So I guess I've had good coverage for a while? The talk I see in this thread about limited 3G availability is similar to what I saw 2 years ago at places like hofo. I didn't know it was that bad still.

I don't like what I read about the iPhone 3G. Not supporting the bluetooth protocols is just dumb. My last 2 phone(covering 3+ years) could send/receive push/pull pictures and ringtones to/from my Mac. And an Apple phone can't?! Good gravy.
I'm jealous. I was up in D.C. for a week (work related - NIH campus) a short while ago and had a solid HSDPA signal the whole time on my Tilt - that was sweet!

The weird thing for me is I live near Charlottesville, VA. Of course, Richmond has 3G, and the whole metro D.C./Baltimore area has it. Then, there is this irregular splotch of blue in the Blue Ridge south of Waynesboro!?! What, so the hikers and Park Rangers won't miss their youtube while they're out in the boonies

goto - AT&T Coverage Viewer then zoom in one level and click "show 3G" to get a national view.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
The problem is that most (including myself) would not be willing. Higher prices will equate lower sales and that's not what apple is trying to achieve.
I understand; actually I thought that the price was lowered by half to allow some margin in the future for an iPhone 3G with 32 Gb for double the new price.

Not a bad idea, I don't see the need for it myself but then I don't see a need for a camera on my phone.

you want a camera in the front and back - seems like over-kill. there's a thing called feature creep and adding too much will effect size, battery and price point
I don't see the need for a camera either. IMPO it would be nice and aggressive from Apple's side to offer an iPhone without camera; if possible I would like to avoid more confusion and tension on this thread sorry for the inconveniences that generates my comment on the camera.

My personal wish would be to have an iPhone without camera, if the market demands a camera I think that it should be placed in the front, this would allow videoconferencing and make the device more usable

640x480 Monitor
I was wrongly expecting a higher resolution monitor, the nano has a 204 dpi monitor, so my thought was we would have something similar on the iPhone 3G (Same size, same ratio, more pixels)

eBay, ATT
I will try to get a new 1st generation from some Telco in FR,DE,UK or IT without contract; my hope lays on the supposition that the inventories need to be cleared as soon as possible, but it seems they are already cleared

Best Regards
( Last edited by darkmatter; Jun 13, 2008 at 01:24 PM. )

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2008, 03:13 PM

Does new iPhone use the same main processor as the current version?

I was hoping that new iPhone can handle the playback of the movies in higher res than the current one (640x480). I really don't want to create two copies or convert my Apple TV movies. But the chance of that happening is slim

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 08:27 PM

The iPhone 3G uses chips made by PA Semi, I think.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Visnaut
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kvasir View Post
Why not a full suite of bluetooth profiles (A2Dp, FTP/OBEX/OPP, etc)? I don't understand why any phone with bluetooth these days should be released without a full set of functional profiles - what's the point of hamstringing the technology? Even if you don't use them a lot, being able to push and pull files (any and every file) can be extremely useful sometimes.
You don't get it. Apple has stripped down the functionality of the device to focus the usability for the user in order to get out of their way. The philosophy behind not being able to send pictures through MMS or files through bluetooth is that given the ubiquity of the internet, those functions can be largely replaced through email. That way, users just have a single, consistent, and familiar method of transferring files, and not having to manage a multitude of sending options.

It's a design philosophy that is very similar to the concept of the original iMac: no floppies, no legacy connectivity, just core functionality that works. Just like the iMac, the "removal" of certain features are ahead of their time, but they certainly make sense. It's not that Apple thinks their customers don't want to use feature X, it's that shouldn't have to in the face of better options. It keeps things simple and consistent, and so far, the consumer market has rewarded them. But clearly it's not for everyone.

Besides, sending files through bluetooth would imply that you would need a file browser/manager of some sort, and the last thing they want users to be managing are individual files. And really, other than photos, what do you want to be sending around? Ringtones, they obviously want you to buy at the iTunes Store. Word files you're just viewing and forwarding from emails. Anything from a webpage you should just be sending a link to the page anyway. I digress, but I hope you see my point.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 05:05 AM

Ringtones can be easily created using GarageBand and a multitude of other free tools, and can be transferred to the iPhone just as easily as any other music and photos.

Just not via Bluetooth.

Can't say I find this terribly important, though Bluetooth file transfer *has* been useful to me on occasion over the past few years.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Besides, sending files through bluetooth would imply that you would need a file browser/manager of some sort, and the last thing they want users to be managing are individual files. And really, other than photos, what do you want to be sending around? Ringtones, they obviously want you to buy at the iTunes Store. Word files you're just viewing and forwarding from emails. Anything from a webpage you should just be sending a link to the page anyway. I digress, but I hope you see my point.
But, OS X has bluetooth file manager just sitting there? Of course, I can't use it with an iPhone, because the blasted iPhone doesn't support any bluetooth profiles for moving files. Why include a useful feature in your core OS and then cripple your own peripheral/mobile devices so they cannot use it?

And I disagree that email or some other multistep process is somehow better. When I'm sitting at my desk with my Mac Pro or powerbook right there in front of me and my mobile phone in my hand, bluetooth is a heck of a lot faster, easier and more convenient to move files around then loading them up in an email just to move them from device to device. I can do that now, with my AT&T Tilt, so why should I give up that utility for an iPhone?

I'm not disputing that you may have interpreted Apple's logic correctly. But if so, I think it is highly flawed logic. Again, with my Tilt, I have a single-ear headset (Jabra BT8040) that supports HFP and A2DP (in mono, of course) so at work I can listen to podcasts or news while still having an ear free if my desk phone rings or someone comes into the office. But, and again, if I were to go to an iPhone, I would loose that wonderful functionality, because Apple refuses to fully enable bluetooth on their device.

I love the screen of the iPhone, and I like some of the interface features a lot (although not the portrait only touch keyboard, that I could not live with as I find it really frustrating for text input). But I think of all the things I currently do on my Tilt, and I just cannot see giving up a ton of functionality to move to an iPhone (and the Tilt is my first win mobile device).

Of course, as I'm sure many here will say, then the iPhone is not for me. That's true, I'm not whining, and that's why it's good that there are many choices in mobile devices. I'm just saying that a lot of the things I would need to see in an iPhone seem simple things to me - eg. full BT profiles, a landscape keyboard - and I know others who feel the same way. Why NOT enable these simple things to make the iPhone even more attractive to an even larger user base? None of these things detract from the current feature set - if you don't know what BT FTP is, you would continue in blissful ignorance and go on as you always did/do. But if it was there so those who wished could enable it when needed, great. What's the downside?

Of course in 10 or 20 years there will be some mobile device that finally does it all with true perfection of interface, features and function. And, sure as Murphy ever actually cited his own law, I'll be too old and addle minded to figure out how to use it

Visnaut
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 11:43 AM

Firstly, thank you, Kvasir, for not taking my post personally and just explaining what your needs and expectations are. I find that a refreshing change of pace from the usual around here...

When I'm sitting at my desk with my Mac Pro or powerbook right there in front of me and my mobile phone in my hand, bluetooth is a heck of a lot faster, easier and more convenient to move files around then loading them up in an email just to move them from device to device. I can do that now, with my AT&T Tilt, so why should I give up that utility for an iPhone?
I think this still begs the question, though: what files are you shuttling around? The only files you can receive and view are through email and web browsing, and you should have access to those on your computer anyway. And the only files you can actually create on the iPhone are photos and notes. That's it. And even then, the interface completely abstracts the naming and location of these files.

So if you're sitting right there with your Powerbook, then why not just sync the phone? The photos are transferred back to your machine. Notes are another matter, and the fact that they don't sync still sticks in my craw. But those can at least be emailed out. But still, you're not going to go through BT just to transfer something as small as a list or few sentences you've pecked away on an iPhone.

And I disagree that email or some other multistep process is somehow better.
Our opinions may differ, but I certainly find that turning bluetooth on for both devices, finding and pairing, picking the right file (especially since you can't preview), choosing the local directory to transfer to, and then waiting to download, is a more multi-step process than just tapping the email button in one of many Apple apps, or syncing with your local machine.

Why NOT enable these simple things to make the iPhone even more attractive to an even larger user base? None of these things detract from the current feature set - if you don't know what BT FTP is, you would continue in blissful ignorance and go on as you always did/do. But if it was there so those who wished could enable it when needed, great. What's the downside?
Well, in the particular case of BT FTP, I think i've made my point. But generally with all Apple products, the downside to Apple is that they don't want to spend time and effort on cramming functionality in there to please every possible user. Otherwise, the end result is feature creep.

Take for example every other PMP on the market. They're all much more feature-rich than the iPod, with FM radios and transmitters and other doodads built-in. But clearly, the consumer market does not value feature count over ease-of-use and consistent performance any more.

Apple wants their users to see the forest for the trees when it comes to what you do with a device, and oftentimes it comes at the expense of certain features that some users get really used to.

I can see A2DP as something Apple will add in the future, either through software, or in future hardware revisions, when they feel it's not such a huge drain on the battery.

I love the screen of the iPhone, and I like some of the interface features a lot (although not the portrait only touch keyboard, that I could not live with as I find it really frustrating for text input).
The iPhone has the landscape keyboard when browsing in Safari in landscape mode, and let me tell you, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. On the tilt, you still have the full real-estate of the screen, but on the iPhone it covers 80% of the screen. And I find typing on it is actually a lot more difficult, because no matter how you hold it, wrapping your hand and fingers around the long form factor of the iPhone in landscape is pretty darned uncomfortable.

And, sure as Murphy ever actually cited his own law, I'll be too old and addle minded to figure out how to use it
Naw, I hardly believe that. We're a generation that's grown up with many different kinds of devices, and we're used to adapting to them.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2008, 11:49 AM

Of course in 10 or 20 years there will be some mobile device that finally does it all with true perfection of interface, features and function. And, sure as Murphy ever actually cited his own law, I'll be too old and addle minded to figure out how to use it
I wouldn't bet on it. Desktops have been around for that long...would you agree that there's a perfect interface/features/function device on the market yet?

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. Desktops have been around for that long...would you agree that there's a perfect interface/features/function device on the market yet?
True, and as I recall from my yout', we were all supposed to be bussing around in George Jetson-like hover cars beginning about 8 years ago.

Visnaut, of course I didn't take your post personally - this is just people talking, and everyone has their own perspective.

I don't know if you've used BT FTP on a win mobile device (I hadn't until I bought my Tilt) but I can in fact browse my computer from it, and vice versa from BT File Exchange on my Macs. And you're right in that I am generally talking about files that I could not even work with on an iPhone (word docs, text files including sometimes scripts I'm working on for work) - but I'm also hoping that kind of utility will come to the iPhone via 3rd party software. I will be watching closely to see just how the App Store takes off and what it starts offering. I actually find myself using my Tilt almost as a tiny laptop for some select things now - although it would benefit immensely from an iPhone-sized screen. I like having a real keyboard too, so your comments make me wonder if I would ever really get comfortable with solely a touch keyboard (I've tried several now on my Tilt, but still prefer the hardware keyboard).

And I am no inherent fanboy of win mobile either, as it has it's bizarro factors too. But at the same time I've been astoundingly impressed with the sheer variety of tasks I can do on the Tilt. And I do not have a windows machine, desktop or laptop - I only have Macs, but that has not been an impediment to having a win mobile PDA-phone at all, in part because of the use of BT. With BT I can sync with address book via vcards, download *.cab's to my Mac and pull them over to install, take podcasts/music on my Mac and move them onto the Tilt, etc (just turn BT on with a single screen tap, pairing is automatic and very quick). Since I have to use Entourage for work for calendaring anyway, I haven't had to deal with iCal issues, so can't speak to that potential problem.

So, I'll continue to be iPhoneless, but will be watching for the next revision, and watching what creative apps show up in the app store (as well as waiting for AT&T to get a move on with their 3G rollout for those of us not in a major metropolis area).

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 04:24 PM

I am pretty satisfied actually with the specs. I'm actually pretty excited for the GPS feature. It may cause me to venture out a little more into places I haven't been yet. =]

Terrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2008, 10:18 PM

Here is my list of why the new iPhone disappoints me:

1). AT&T is a horrible, greedy, and downright unpatriotic company.
2). People are being forced to pay for 3G service, even if they have no interest in using it, or that isn't an option in the AT&T service area,
3). There is no copy and paste.
4). Voice Quality on the iPhone is only average.
5). Unlike the iPod, you can't use the iPhone as a hard drive, and
6). You can't use the iPhone as a modem, as you can with most phones in it's class.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2008, 06:07 AM

1.) goes for every telecommunications company on the planet. If you'd prefer T-Mobile, know that they're a daughter-company of the German T-Com. "Unpatriotic"?

4.) Much improved voice quality is one of the touted new features.

Koralatov
Senior User
Jun 15, 2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I know there's a difference because of price subsidy etc, but a £99 phone on a £30 contract is a lot better than the old system (£35 minimum tariff and £269 handset price).
One thing worth noting is that the £30/pm contract is pretty dire—75 minutes and 125 texts vs. 600/500 on the £35/pm contract. Overall, it’s really not worthwhile, even if you’re using it purely as an mobile internet/email device; you’re really better off spending the extra £5 per month to get a contract that’s actually half-decent.

Uh… A lot of phones have a plastic back (probably most) and it doesn’t seem to cause any problems. In the eight years I’ve had a mobile phone, I’ve had four different phones, all with plastic backs, and I have never had a problem with any of them due to their cases—and I can be very hard on a phone at times. Also, how many of the other phones in its class have aluminium backs? Do the Blackberries or Treos? Every Blackberry I’ve ever seen has been plastic…

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
You don't get it. Apple has stripped down the functionality of the device to focus the usability for the user in order to get out of their way. The philosophy behind not being able to send pictures through MMS or files through bluetooth is that given the ubiquity of the internet, those functions can be largely replaced through email. That way, users just have a single, consistent, and familiar method of transferring files, and not having to manage a multitude of sending options.
I think this is absolutely correct. Trying to send files via Bluetooth on a phone has been, in my experience, an absolute nightmare. It’s slow, cumbersome and the process to do it varies wildly from phone to phone. I’m reasonably proficient at using mobiles, but sometimes one of my friends will ask me for help in sending a file to someone over BT or MMS and, because every phone manufacturer has a different way of doing it, I’m stumped more often than not. Overall, it’s something I think I’ve used three or four times in any serious capacity, and not something I’d miss if it wasn’t there.
( Last edited by Koralatov; Jun 15, 2008 at 09:32 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules