Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > $70 a month! Activate in store!

$70 a month! Activate in store! (Page 3)
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
To everyone saying "stop whining," I have a right to whine. I want to make calls on my iPhone. I don't want to use data. And I don't want to pay $70/month to call people. Cell phone companies piss me off, and this pisses me off more.
Then the iPhone isn't for you. Move on and buy a Moto Razor - you should be perfectly happy with that.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

Does anyone know if I add another iPhone to my plan do I have to pay for 2 data plans or just one?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Indeed.

What we're getting is twice the data speed with 3G over EDGE. What we're paying is effectively $1.67 a month over the course of 24 months. Unless you know you will never use 3G that sounds like quite a decent deal to me.
Absolutely. The deal isn't a bad one. What's annoying is Steve saying "Look at how much cheaper we've made it to buy an iPhone" while AT&T is saying (with somewhat less "Boom!"s) "Look at how much more it's going to cost to own an iPhone".

I hate misleading marketing.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Jun 12, 2008 at 11:09 AM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
Does anyone know if I add another iPhone to my plan do I have to pay for 2 data plans or just one?
This is exactly what I want to know. They used to have a family plan that included 2 phones with unlimited data for both at $109.

Will the plan still exist at $119 or will it be $129?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 11:24 AM

I'm sort of kind of happy to pay $240 more for the 3G service as I live in NYC. And I don't really use sms so that's not an issue. I can certainly understand those who gripe when they live in areas outside the 3g network.

I just really, really, really don't want to have to deal with the Apple Stores - in the hight of summer no less. They're crowded and understaffed when things are normal. Apple seems to have no problem with people standing in lines, it makes them look trendy and exciting.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 12, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
This is exactly what I want to know. They used to have a family plan that included 2 phones with unlimited data for both at $109.

Will the plan still exist at $119 or will it be $129?
I want to know this too, also do we have any confirmation yet that the data or voice plan includes 0 or 200 sms? Ugh if we have to pay an additional $5 PER Phone (in a fam plan) for minimal sms.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 12:37 PM

Yeah, I think I'm going to buy my iPhone on July 12th. If the last launch was any indication, stock should be plentiful. I really don't have any desire to wait in a line, especially since each phone has to be activated in store. Ugh.

I'm not really worried about SMS messages at all. Especially if I can send email from my phone... but it really is crazy what they are doing with the plans. Especially if it turns out that SMS is not included at all (as it appears). No SMS is a big deal for many people.

I really really want an iPhone, and am 90% sure I am getting one, but there are few nagging details about the rate plans I really need answered sometime in the next month. Especially if I'm buying 2 phones.

I think my wife will flip out if our monthly cell phone bill doubles.

Right now I'm trying to convince her to get one. I know once she has one she will absolutely love it, but she is the kind of person who is hesitant of technology or change.

But it will solve so many of her problems. Her work has 90% of the internet blocked, so she can surf at the office and check email. She really needs a GPS unit because she gets lost all the time, and she would love to be able to watch movies and TV shows on the go or at work.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 12:40 PM

The only thing currently bothering me is that I either have to deal with the schmucks at my local ATT store (only one near me that sells iPhones) or go into Boston for the closest Apple store.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2008, 03:41 PM

I was planning on buying two 3G units as soon as they are released. Due to the month-to-month price increases that would never end and mandatory in-store activation we are just going to use older 2G iPhones. I was grandfathered in with an older voice plan even on my 2G iPhone but if they aren't letting me keep it (and they say they won't) the 3G+GPS just aren't worth it.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Parky View Post
Of course you pay twice for 2 copies of software, just as you do with other software purchases.
I do? I don't remember buying two copies of MS Office just so my wife could run it under her user name.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2008, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I do? I don't remember buying two copies of MS Office just so my wife could run it under her user name.
That's an inane comment.

a) That's one copy of Office on a single machine. The minute you install it on a second machine, you WOULD need to buy a second license. In some cases, this means a cheaper family license for machines attached to the same household.

b) The home edition of Office explicitly comes with three licenses.

Regular software licenses are PER DEVICE.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
I am not whining. But if AT&T makes me pay for a data plan when I don't want one, when my home is not even in their coverage area, and when there is no 3G network within an hour of my house...I'm going to be angry.

The argument that "you're getting more, stop complaining about a mere $10" does not apply to those of us wanting to get an iPhone for the first time, without a data plan. Being gouged $720 would be a deal breaker for me.
No need to be angry--just don't get an iphone. AT&T isn't making you do anything. As far as I know, there aren't thugs on the street corners forcing people to buy iphones and sign up for expensive calling plans.

At these high contract prices and terms its unlikely I'll get one either.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2008, 10:39 AM

The required data plan has made me really think about whether I want an iPhone or not. Not wins out. I have no use, let alone "need" to surf, email, etc. while out and about. I have two different iPods (neither of which plays movies and I'm fine with that) so I have music when I want it. I typically send one to two text messages per month on my current phone. I have a sufficient address book on my current phone that I don't need a PIM or PDA for that sort of stuff.

Basically, the iPhone is "too much" for my needs. Sure is pretty though...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
No need to be angry--just don't get an iphone. AT&T isn't making you do anything.
Really? Whew...that's a load off my mind.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2008, 02:43 PM

One thing to weigh in on whether data plan is worth of $30 is your wifi accessibility.

Both my house and work place have wifi access (who doesn't these days?), and my iPhone is rarely leaving wifi to access the data. My last att bill shows that I only use like 20 MB data bandwidth per month. That translates to $1 per MB.

I hope that ATT at least provides some cheap pay-as-you-go data plan for those who only need 3G data access occasionally. But what can I expect from BOPC (Big Old Phone Company)?

/sigh
( Last edited by iPoder; Jun 13, 2008 at 02:55 PM. )

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2008, 05:53 PM

I say, just buy a your 3G iPhone from Apple as it sounds as though they will allow you to just purchase the phone outright without activation in the store as they have done before. Then unlock the phone using ziPhone, as you know he's going to provide the solution eventually, and the finally just take your old iPhone 2G sim card and pop it in the new 3G iPhone. Viola, you don't even need to talk to an AT&T rep, and your original voice/data plan is grandfathered on your new phone.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Neo.cmg View Post
I say, just buy a your 3G iPhone from Apple as it sounds as though they will allow you to just purchase the phone outright without activation in the store as they have done before.
Where do you get that from? Everything I've heard seems to suggest that no iPhones will be leaving either AT&T or Apple stores without being activated.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Neo.cmg View Post
I say, just buy a your 3G iPhone from Apple as it sounds as though they will allow you to just purchase the phone outright without activation in the store as they have done before. Then unlock the phone using ziPhone, as you know he's going to provide the solution eventually, and the finally just take your old iPhone 2G sim card and pop it in the new 3G iPhone. Viola, you don't even need to talk to an AT&T rep, and your original voice/data plan is grandfathered on your new phone.
Wow, you are so wrong on every point.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008, 12:08 PM

I've seen several posts where people have called into Apple at their retail stores and their customer service line, and each has been given the response that you will be able to leave an Apple Store with a 3G iPhone without activation, despite the AT&T internal memo--which I might add allows for activation through iTunes as you have in the past.

The 2.0 firmware will eventually be cracked and the ability to unlock these phones is just a matter of time. Thus, unlocking a 3G iPhone and swapping your old iPhone sim into it seems likely and very reasonable to me.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 10:34 AM

Not all AT&T customers eligible for $199 iPhone 3G | iLounge News

Did you guys see this bull****? I've been an AT&T customer for 5-years and it looks like I'm going to have to pay an additional fee. Hooray!

I had to do this last year when my phone went through the wash, and the fee was $50. If the current fee is $50 I will grumble under my breath, pay it and move on with my life. If it's something like $100 bucks, I'm going to have a hissy fit of epic proportions.

AT&T needs to lay all the details out on the table ASAP. There is so much we don't know. It's pretty lame.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 12:52 PM

WTF!

So not only am I going to get a new plan for 30$ extra a month they are going to charge me more because...my current plan is $45, and I've been with ATT for 8 months.

God dammit I hate all cell phone companies, bunch of ****ing swindlers. So If I wasn't an ATT customer AT ALL I can get an iPhone cheaper? Awesome...

<sigh>

I agree with Ort, I'd like to know all the fact of this ridiculous situation ASAP, because evry day something new and even more ridiculous comes out about this iPhone 3G business.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 03:45 PM

It's kind of like Nickel and Diming... only instead of Nickels and Dimes, it's $20 and $50 dollar bills.

Brilliant!

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 17, 2008, 04:07 PM

It is terribly lame that neither apple nor ATT have put up a list of actual rate plans for the iPhone with details about text messages, data plans etc. Really lame.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 04:20 PM

Apparently unless you are a current iPhone owner, or a brand new AT&T customer, you are going to have to pay FULL RETAIL PRICE for an iPhone.

What the hell is that? If that turns out to be true I am going to be really pissed off. Like, pissed off enough to drop AT&T after almost 6 years of being a customer and telling each and every person I know to avoid them like the plague. They will earn lifelong enemy. Anytime the topic of cell phones, iPhones or AT&T comes up between now and the day I die, I will have nothing but terrible things to say about them and will gleefully slander them at every opportunity.

Hey, you can't buy that kind of publicity. Or maybe you can.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 04:24 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to charge people who already have iPhone full price? Why discourage people who don't have one yet?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 04:38 PM

Apple probably had that stipulation in their contract... since they know better then to piss off their core customer base.

A lesson that AT&T apparently doesn't understand. It seems they like to take giant dumps on the faces of their most loyal customers.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 05:13 PM

Apparently unless you are a current iPhone owner, or a brand new AT&T customer, you are going to have to pay FULL RETAIL PRICE for an iPhone.
That's normal cell phone tactics. Unless you're eligable for a new phone, entering a new contract or renewing the contract, you pay full price. From what I've read you will get the discount if any of those statements are true.

If you bought an iPhone last week, lost month or last quarter then you'll have to pay the full price.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 05:21 PM

The difference here is that they had a big press conference with a huge $199 price flashed all over the place.

There was no asterix. The price is not $199. We were lied to.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post

If you bought an iPhone last week, lost month or last quarter then you'll have to pay the full price.
Actually, according to what I've heard, current iPhone customers are exempt and will be able to pay the $199/299 discounted price.

But someone like me, who signed up with AT&T about 3 months ago in anticipation of the new iPhone, gets screwed.

I guess there's always the standard tactic in this scenario--call customer service, raise hell, threaten to tell all my friends and family to avoid AT&T, and basically whine to the supervisors until I get what I want.

Immature? You bet. Would I try it to save $100 or more? Absolutely.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post
But someone like me, who signed up with AT&T about 3 months ago in anticipation of the new iPhone, gets screwed.
No offense but why buy a new contract when you were already expecting the new iPhone. You were expecting to pay the full price then because that as the only option. Nothing has changed in your situation. You expected AFAIK to buy a new iPhone and the going rate was what it was. That same rate is in affect (for existing ATT customers).

I held off on both, the iPhone and the contract because the new iPhone wasn't released. You're correct, that you might get lucky and still buy an iPhone for the lower price but you were premature in signing up, if you were looking to sign up just to buy an iphone.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 05:48 PM

Well, my raging boner for July 11th has become flaccid thanks to this new development.

If I am indeed screwed on the $199 price tag then I'll get a f**kin Blackberry and be done with all this mumbo-jumbo.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 05:50 PM

I've decided to calm down and wait for some actual real news.

But right now I just feel very disappointed. I've wanted an iPhone since day one, and I've VERY PATIENTLY waited for rev2, because I knew I wanted 3G. It's been a very hard wait. I've been suffering from major technolust this entire time.

The iPhone is very close to the device I have been dreaming about for years and years.

I was so excited about it last week. I could FINALLY get an iPhone with everything I wanted and at a great price. I was on Cloud 9.

Since that initial rush however, things keep happening to make me feel worse and worse about the iPhone. I currently feel very frustrated and deflated about the whole thing.

If these rumors turn out to be true, it's going to be very upsetting. Especially after I have given both Apple and AT&T massive amounts of cash through the years.

To turn around and punish existing loyal customers and favor brand new ones is just a stab in the back. It's terrible. It's a terrible policy.

What needs to happen is AT&T needs to get their **** together and put all of the info on the table.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 05:52 PM

Yes, even if it's bad news for yours truly I'd rather know now because my current phone is a complete POS and if the iPhone ain't gonna happen I'm going to an ATT store ASAP to get a replacement.

Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Then the iPhone isn't for you. Move on and buy a Moto Razor - you should be perfectly happy with that.
and that is, essentially, what I'm going to do. i just would much rather have my iPod touch and phone be one device, and there's nothing preventing that from happening other than exorbitant pricing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 07:38 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with AT&T and was 100% guaranteed, over and over, that I would be able to buy an iPhone for $199 on July 11th, and that no current AT&T customer would have to pay any extra because of the subsidized price. She even checked with her boss or whatever. I made her note that I was promised that on file and she read it back to me twice.

So either she lied her ass of to me, she is an idiot or something has changed.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2008, 09:58 PM

That's a better response than I got. It provides lots of hope!

When I called, I talked to a lady who seemed to have no idea a new iPhone had been announced and insisted on reading me every last detail about the original iPhone and its plan.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2008, 09:14 AM

Well, I just got off the phone with AT&T and was 100% guaranteed, over and over, that I would be able to buy an iPhone for $199 on July 11th, and that no current AT&T customer would have to pay any extra because of the subsidized price. She even checked with her boss or whatever. I made her note that I was promised that on file and she read it back to me twice.

So either she lied her ass of to me, she is an idiot or something has changed.
Not pay extra, but would you have to extend the term of your contract?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Not pay extra, but would you have to extend the term of your contract?
Almost certainly. You'd probably have to extend it to match the minimum contract length for non-customers. Which should not be a big deal. They do this with all their contracts AFAIK. When I replaced all three of my family's RAZRs last summer, I did it about 6 weeks before the end of our contract, so to get the price break I just extended that almost expired contract. No biggie.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2008, 12:08 PM

Yeah, it would be a new two year contract. That has always been the case.

From what I hear, it's actually illegal for cell companies to have a longer term.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 21, 2008 at 12:28 PM. )

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2008, 12:58 AM

I can understand that not everyone qualifies for an upgrade because it's a subsidized phone, but what I don't understand is how it could be ok for Apple not to mention the subsidy at all. During the keynote, there was no asterisk next to the prices or anything like that. It was presented as being $199/$299 period.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 10:22 AM

iPhone 3G $399-$699 U.S. price options, 8AM launch announced | iLounge News

AT&T has revealed details regarding its pricing policy for the iPhone 3G in the United States. As previously announced, the 8GB model will cost $199 and the 16GB model will sell for $299, and will be available at those prices to customers who bought the iPhone before July 11, who are activating a new line with AT&T and/or who are eligible for an upgrade discount. For customers who aren’t eligible for the upgrade discount and who agree to a new two-year service plan, the 8GB model will sell for $399 and the 16GB model for $499 — identical to Apple’s unsubsidized pricing on the first-generation iPhone. Finally, AT&T will also offer the iPhone 3G on a no-contract-required basis, with the 8GB model priced at $599 and the 16GB at $699. The iPhone 3G will go on sale at 8 a.m. local time, July 11.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 11:06 AM

Heh, bought mine on July 15th. AT&T can kiss my ass, I'm staying with what I have.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 11:50 AM

Yeah, from the sound of it, AT&T is going to be seeing a lot of my ass as well.

I really want an iPhone, but at some point, the expenses just become ridiculous. Especially considering it's a completely unnecessary luxury item.

I can deal with the $30 data plan and a $299 phone, but a $499 phone and a $30 data plan? Forget it. It starts to really lose it's value.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Heh, bought mine on July 15th. AT&T can kiss my ass, I'm staying with what I have.
Customers who bought the iPhone before July 11, 2008. Not 2007.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 12:02 PM

AT&T has announced its AT&T Nation and AT&T FamilyTalk plans for iPhone 3G. Its AT&T Nation plans, meant for individual users, range in price from $69.99 to $129.99 a month, and include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. The $69.99 a month plan includes 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night & weekend minutes, and any overages will cost $0.45 per minute. With the $89.99 a month plan, users receive 900 anytime minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, and an overage rate of $0.40 per minute, while the $109.99 a month plan provides 1350 anytime minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, and an additional minute charge of $0.35 per minute. Finally, AT&T is offering an Unlimited individual iPhone 3G plan for $129.99 a month, which provides unlimited minutes in addition to the unlimited data and Visual Voicemail mentioned above.

AT&T’s FamilyTalk iPhone plans cover two lines and include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling, and unlimited nights & weekends. The $129.99 a month plan provides 700 shared anytime minutes and additional minutes for $0.45, the $149.99 plan offers 1400 shared anytime minutes and additional minutes for $0.40, while the $169.99 plan offers 2100 shared anytime minutes and an addition minutes rate of $0.35. Plans are also available at $209.99, $259.99, and $359.99 points, and include 3000, 4000, and 6000 shared anytime minutes, respectively. Each additional line added to any of the above FamilyTalk plans runs an additional $39.99 per month. An Unlimited FamilyTalk plan will be available for $259.99 a month for two lines, with each additional line costing $129.99 a month.

In a notable change from AT&T’s prior plans, SMS Text messaging is now always sold at an additional charge, and will cost individuals $5 per month for 200 messages, $15 per month for 1500 messages, or $20 per month for Unlimited. For FamilyTalk plans, SMS can be added for $30 per month for unlimited texts, or for $0.20 per message.

AT&T iPhone 3G plans: $70-$130 single, $130-$360 family | iLounge News

AT&T

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 12:10 PM

So im eligable for an upgrade...do i have to hand inmy old iPhone to get the new one?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Customers who bought the iPhone before July 11, 2008. Not 2007.
Is that confirmed? It makes sense to me that they would deny the discount to people who haven't been with them for a year...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 12:32 PM

God, the people at AT&T are completely useless. I knew more then the damn representative.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2008, 01:40 PM

For those not eligible for an upgrade, the iPhone 8GB will cost $399. So, when Steve Jobs said no one will pay more than $199, he lied. Am I right or am I missing something here? Am I imagining a comment Steve didn't make?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 01:43 PM

In a notable change from AT&T’s prior plans, SMS Text messaging is now always sold at an additional charge, and will cost individuals $5 per month for 200 messages, $15 per month for 1500 messages, or $20 per month for Unlimited. For FamilyTalk plans, SMS can be added for $30 per month for unlimited texts, or for $0.20 per message.
So the cheapest plan for the 3G iPhone is now at $75 a month? Yikes! That's a little too expensive for me. I'll stick with my 2.5G iPhone for as long as I can.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules