Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Modding blue & white G3 case

Modding blue & white G3 case
limepile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 10:39 PM

I seem to be the proud owner of a dead Mac. PPC G3 blue & white tower.Could be the RAM or the HDD thats kaput. Obviously its not worth spending any money on ,I'm saving for the latest iMac , so, what to do with this one ?
As far as I know this cannot be made to go any faster with its current logic board. Can I chuck any old logic board in it if I can find one with its CPU still attatched ? I know it would be pretty easy to turn it into a Windoze server, but wheres the fun in that ?
As this is the start of a new journey any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Education- the best defense against stupidity.

I wanted to be a cowboy.
What the hell went wrong?

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2008, 12:55 AM

I actually just acquired a B&W G3 today as well. I have a plethora of 6gb hard drives and 128mb pc100 memory sticks from work, so as of now I am wiping several hard drives to put inside of it. I'm considering making it some sort of music server, but not too sure on that one.
Other than that.. the computer would make an awesome secret compartment. At the moment my feet are propped up on the tower, its just the right height for me. Maybe when this one and my G4 finally bite the dust I'll mount a piece of glass on the top of them and make a coffee table for a den or something.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 05:55 PM

A music server sound like a great idea.

stevebez
Jul 2, 2008, 05:26 AM

There is a 1.1 ghz G3 processor you can get but it is probably not worth spending the $ on. What speed processor does it have now? I have a B&W at work with the stock 450 mhz processor and 512 mb of ram and I find it to be perfectly usable for most tasks. My only real complaint with the B&W is the lack of deep sleep.

You should definately check and make sure that you have a rev 2 logic board before you start throwing a bunch of random drives in there, otherwise you could end up with major data corruption. There is a ton of info on the B&W @ xlr8yourmac.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules