Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > No stand-alone version of Snow Leopard?

No stand-alone version of Snow Leopard? (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
In response to the Windows 7 upgrade chart releasedtoday, Fake Steve had a hilarious post with the Snow Leopard upgrade diagram:

I love it.

In case some of you guys haven't seen it yet:

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!1!

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 01:12 PM

I laughed at the chart's poor construction, but the rules are pretty simple.
To upgrade, you have to stay in the same bit version. You can go from home to home, business to business, or anything to ultimate. That's it.
Anything else is equivalent to an OS X Archive & Install.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
So looking at that chart it means you can only upgrade to Win 7 and retain your documents, settings, etc. if you have a few select versions of Vista (the green boxes). All the blue boxes mean you get to migrate your stuff manually? LOL.
No. The green boxes ("In-place Upgrade") are like OS X Upgrade. The blue boxes ("Custom Install") is like OS X Archive & Install. There's no manual data migration.

Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 01:15 PM

I don't think so... there's really no difference between the two to the end user, except that Archive and Install saves a copy of your previous system files. I don't see how that's not an "in place upgrade."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 01:21 PM

I laughed at the chart's poor construction, but the rules are pretty simple.
To upgrade, you have to stay in the same bit version. You can go from home to home, business to business, or anything to ultimate. That's it.
Anything else is equivalent to an OS X Archive & Install.

No. The green boxes ("In-place Upgrade") are like OS X Upgrade. The blue boxes ("Custom Install") is like OS X Archive & Install. There's no manual data migration.
actually, from what I've gathered, the green boxes are like archive & install, while the blue boxes are like installing a fresh system and manually copying everything back from the external backup.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 02:51 PM

Are you sure? If you are going from XP you definitely have to do a wipe and install. There is no ability to do an "archive and install" for XP users at all and I don't see any visual difference in that chart between XP and the other Custom installs (from the screen shot above, that is).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
actually, from what I've gathered, the green boxes are like archive & install, while the blue boxes are like installing a fresh system and manually copying everything back from the external backup.
Exactly. The best MS can offer is the most tedious solution on OS X (next to doing it all by hand). Most Vista and all XP users will be forced to wipe and install. Something as easy as OS X update doesn't even exist for 7. Laughable.

erikschmidt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2009, 05:59 PM

Amazon's Snow Leopard bundles and pricing:

* $29 for Snow Leopard
* $49 for Snow Leopard Family Pack (5 user license)
* $169 for Snow Leopard Box Set
* $229 for Snow Leopard Box Set (5 user license)

Several blogs that are members of Amazon's affiliate marketing program have links directly to these items in the Amazon store. I point this out not to suggest that Amazon is the place you should buy Snow Leopard, but to note that the pricing is no mystery.
( Last edited by erikschmidt; Aug 7, 2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Clarification of purpose)

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2009, 10:47 AM

Didn't see it posted but it appears that Apple won't be releasing a stand alone copy of SL for $129. According to their specs page:
Upgrading from Mac OS X Tiger
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ’09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ’09, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

The right sidebar under How to get Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2009, 12:44 PM

Gizmodo's Snow Leopard upgrade chart:

I LOLed.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2009, 01:33 AM

This thread got really entertaining...

By the way: that 5-pack is for use in the same household only, I guess, not for family members who have their own apartment...
( Last edited by Veltliner; Aug 14, 2009 at 01:42 AM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
By the way: that 5-pack is for use in the same household only, I guess, not for family members who have their own apartment...
Yep. As it has always been.

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What's with the premature panic? And why ask Amazon rather than Apple?

Apple said they will offer three packages: The SL update for Leopard for $29. The full SL DVD for $129 (just like Leopard, Tiger, etc), and the SL Mac Box set for $169.

Lock please.
Can't go wrong with the "SL Mac Box"

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2009, 08:30 AM

The only thing that sucks about the Box Set is that iLife is usually released in January, so you buy the box set in September, and then 4 - 5 months later theres iLife '10..
Ah well, always newer things around the corner!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Aug 18, 2009, 06:23 PM

I'd like to know if the iLife and iWork included in the box set will be 64-bit...
Who'sDaMac?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by I'mDaMac View Post
I'd like to know if the iLife and iWork included in the box set will be 64-bit...
If it's the '09 versions, no.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 10:25 AM

So the $29 Snow Leopard is an upgrade only? If I want to do a clean install I have to load up Leopard first and then put Snow Leopard on top of it? That kind of sucks.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
So the $29 Snow Leopard is an upgrade only? If I want to do a clean install I have to load up Leopard first and then put Snow Leopard on top of it? That kind of sucks.
I'm getting the full SL install DVD just because of that. Bummer really. I'd have a proof of purchase to show I bought Leopard. So I don't understand why I should be forced to install Leopard first.

It's ironic that although the quick install is a key selling point for SL, people whoch chose to install SL with their update DVD will actually spend more time installing it than they spent with Leopard.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2009, 12:18 PM

Considering that no one here has the $29 disc, it's premature to assume you can't erase the disc once the installer has detected a Leopard install.
Vandelay Industries

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Considering that no one here has the $29 disc, it's premature to assume you can't erase the disc once the installer has detected a Leopard install.
I'm assuming the latter is a given. But what about all those people who would want to install it on a brand new disk?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2009, 05:58 AM

I would then go as far as using my Leopard restore disks to install from scratch and then run the SL DVD. Is it so out-of-the-ordinary that I would like a fresh system?

Forum Links
Forum Rules