Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport 4.1 update problem

Airport 4.1 update problem
RonnieoftheRose
Nov 16, 2004, 11:45 PM

After installing yesterday's Airport update my Airport Extreme Basestation has gone mad on me. Not the first time an update has done this. Apple released a bugged update last year that did the same.

I've reset the station, left it unplugged for hours, zapped my computer's PRAM, logged on to another wireless network...the damn station can't be found by my computer at all.

Has anybody else experienced such problems before and if so how did they recover a connection?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2004, 01:24 AM

Trash your Airport plists. Restart computer and Airport station.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

RonnieoftheRose  (op)
Nov 17, 2004, 01:35 AM

The Airport update reset my basestation to factory defaults. When I saw it in the list of networks I thought it was someone else's basestation. Took me a while to figure out it was mine.
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Nov 17, 2004 at 12:53 PM. )

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2004, 10:30 PM

I've spent ALL afternoon fixing the problems this update caused me!

There's a TON of discussion at the Apple discussion forums, mostly in the area of printing. In my case, I was not able to print at all. I had to downgrade to Firmware 5.4, and that fixed the printing problem.

BUT, my Internet connection still seems a good bit slower. What can I do to help? Will deleting the Airport plists help that? How do I do that, exactly?

I've been a Mac user for just about a year -- it's been a great experienced, except for today!

FYI, I have 2 PBs connected to AEBS and HP5150 USB printer.

Thanks!

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 03:39 PM

I guess I was actualy lucky since ti caused no problem with any of the three macs with airport extreme or the aiport extreme or airport express basestaions I have. Not saying anything about you guys just I waited for problems and didn't really read about too much so I went for it and all is good.

I have one lingereing complaint. They still did not give you the ability to set the MTu speed in the aiport configuration utility. Sure I can do a terminal command but that only works until the computer is restarted the next time. I don't restart that much but it just something that should be a standard setting. The default mtu 1500 setting can cause problems with my dsl account.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2004, 11:48 PM

Try Cocktail, you can adjust mtu settings with it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 03:10 PM

Hmmm, didn't know that. I'll check it out. It's stil ashame that Apple hasn't incorporated a common router setting into the Airport routers.

Funny, when I called them to ask about it they told me you set it from the network menu in system preferences. I had to explain it to the guy that was only for the ethernet port. He put me on hold or a real long time verifying it and said they finally had to look it up and I was right. Whatever........
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules