Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Yup, that's my Congress

Yup, that's my Congress
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 03:18 PM

Congressional spending deal blocks pot legalization in D.C. - The Washington Post
The District will be prohibited from legalizing marijuana for the much of the coming year under a spending deal reached Tuesday between top Senate Democrats and House Republicans to fund the federal government through next September.

The development — upending voter-approved Initiative 71 — shocked elected D.C. leaders, advocates for marijuana legalization and civil liberties groups who earlier in the day had grown confident that the measure would be at least partially protected while Democrats still controlled the Senate.
By midday Tuesday, it appeared negotiators had found middle ground to legalize possession of marijuana but to allow no further action by D.C. officials to create a regulatry system for legal sales and taxation of the plant.

Under a spending “rider” included in the 1,600-page bill distributed late Tuesday, neither part would be allowed.

The language could also roll back a law passed by the D.C. Council and signed by Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) in the spring to join 18 states that have eliminated criminal penalties for marijuana possession
Maryland’s only House Republican also said he had no qualms about interfering with the results of the Nov. 4 election. On that day, voters in Alaska, the District and Oregon chose to legalize marijuana, but only the District’s vote was subject to oversight by Congress.

“The fact is the Constitution gives Congress the ultimate oversight about what happens in the federal district,” Harris said.
Another sign the measure was in trouble came when D.C. Democrats directed anger at senators of their own party. “I certainly don’t know why Democrats would agree to block legalization while we still control the White House, we still control the Senate — and who knows, they may even need Democratic votes to pass this,” said Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton.
So, judge overturns a gay marriage ban passed by a slim majority: "Thwarting the will of the people!"
Congressmen adding a rider to block a marijuana initiative that passed with a supermajority: "The Constitution says we have oversight!"

Go get ****ed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2014, 03:51 PM

For some reason, I'm less pissed of at the Republican for introducing it, than I am at the Democrats for voting along with it.

They're kind of a sack of pussies, no?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
For some reason, I'm less pissed of at the Republican for introducing it, than I am at the Democrats for voting along with it.

They're kind of a sack of pussies, no?
The floppiest kind.

Half the Democrats problem is they won't stand for the things they actually believe in.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2014, 04:08 PM

Well, their WERE some issues with the DC pot bill. Having pipes, bongs screens etc was still illegal???!!!? While having pot was just a misdemeanor.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 04:14 PM

You know, I could see this becoming a minor topic of interest during the 2016 presidential, a la Gay Marriage. Something that isn't a big deal, but might turn-off younger voters from the GOP. (meanwhile the Democrats remain non-commital and won't endorse anything more than medical marijuana).

reader50
Administrator
Dec 10, 2014, 04:22 PM

{Congressman} ... said he had no qualms about interfering with the results of the Nov. 4 election.
Power over the People.

Yep, democratic republic in action. Neither democratic, nor representative of public wishes. If the feds don't change their tune, they're going to forment a rebellion. That's what people do when they have no say in their own governance.

In unrelated news, the bulk phone collection order with Verizon was renewed again. For the 4th time since it was revealed to the public.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
If the feds don't change their tune, they're going to forment a rebellion
I'm sure they're shaking in their boots at the combined might of D.C. Residents.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2014, 06:34 PM

It's a federal district, not a state, and ultimately that's what killed it. I have to say I saw this coming, the Feds aren't going to allow pot smoking in their front yard while it's still a violation of federal law, not when they're still busting 100% state-legal medical MJ dispensaries in Cali.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2014, 06:41 PM

The fact that marijuana of all substances is still illegal anywhere in the country is just downright braindead on so many levels.

OAW

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2014, 07:21 PM

The fact that marijuana of all substances is still legal anywhere in the country is just downright braindead on so many levels.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2014, 09:14 PM

Why?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2014, 08:28 AM

Hypocrites! Ban smoking ciggies everywhere, and take the taxes to fund anti-smoking campaigns but supporting POT? WTF?? Its not like DC has any brains when they vote, BTW.
I don't hear the same complaints when a judge overturns some bill(Legislating from the bench) passed by a majority in a state, like Defense of marriage etc.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2014, 09:14 AM

I'm not surprised a rep for MD killed it. If Colorado is any indication DC would have seen a flood of MD and VA residents coming in. It'd need to be at least decriminalized in those places.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Hypocrites! Ban smoking ciggies everywhere, and take the taxes to fund anti-smoking campaigns but supporting POT? WTF?? Its not like DC has any brains when they vote, BTW.
I don't hear the same complaints when a judge overturns some bill(Legislating from the bench) passed by a majority in a state, like Defense of marriage etc.
That's not hypocrisy, it's still bringing the two closer to each other. You can't tax pot until it's legal.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2014, 02:48 PM

You can still smoke pot more places than ciggies. They still have to deal with the paraphernalia issues. When they ask you "if you smoke" for insurance purposes, of for a job...what do you say? Tobacco is legal, but that hasn't stopped various intolerant groups from banning it anyway, like in your own home etc., but not for pot. Its either all or nothing. What is the point of having no smoking programs funded by tax dollars when the message is more hypocrisy?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
That's not hypocrisy, it's still bringing the two closer to each other. You can't tax pot until it's legal.
But there sure are a lot of kickbacks for filling up private prisons.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
But there sure are a lot of kickbacks for filling up private prisons.
Precisely!

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2014, 04:10 PM

@BadKosh

Where is tobacco banned in the home?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
@BadKosh

Where is tobacco banned in the home?
$5 says Europe or proposed legislation that never materialized.

I've certainly heard talk of criminalizing smoking in a home with children.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2014, 04:12 PM

I think BadKosh is confusing the legality of possessing a substance with the legality of using the substance in public places.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2014, 08:24 AM

Some townhouse developments have banned smoking when NEXT DOOR THEY HAVE KIDS! You can't smoke on your balcony in some. You can't smoke in rental cars. But you can smoke pot all over.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2014, 09:42 AM

Some townhouse developments have banned smoking when NEXT DOOR THEY HAVE KIDS!
That's the private market isn't it?

But you can smoke pot all over.
(citation needed)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2014, 11:20 AM

California cities have banned smoking in private residences.
from 2011
Residential patio smoking ban first in O.C. - The Orange County Register

List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marin County, May 23, 2012 banned in all condos and apartments, as well as all patios within residential units. Anyone caught smoking will face a $100 fine and will be sentenced to five community day services. A second offense warrants a $300 fine and ten community day services, and a third offense being $700 fine and fifteen community day services. Landlords may opt out of smoking restrictions by designating 20 percent of their units reserved for smoking and may permit e-cigarettes to be used inside apartments and condos. All other outdoor areas, including bar and restaurant patios, and private homes that are not of multi-unit residences and smoking in cars are exempt from the ban.[58]
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2014, 03:57 PM

If you rent, it's not your home.

If you buy a condo you're deluding yourself into thinking it's your home.

We're talking one county in the entire United States.

That said, I kinda prefer it when places make it overwhelmingly clear they're populated by assholes.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2014, 04:33 PM

The slogan on DC license plates is "Taxation without Representation." Also legislation without representation, I guess.

Until the Constitution somehow gets Congress's fingers out of the governing of ONE municipality, the poor folks who live within the District will continue to be used as pawns by suits who like to make it look like they're doing something.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules