Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac DVD sound is not synched with video

imac DVD sound is not synched with video
omarv
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 1999, 06:23 PM

I have begun to notice that when I play dvd movies on my iMac DV SE the sound is not synched with the video, usually the sound is ahead of the video, I was hoping somebody could help me solve this problem

DWLee
Oct 19, 1999, 09:51 AM

I have noticed the same problem with my blueberry iMac DV. In my experience so far, it seems to be a problem mainly when you select a chapter rather than playing from the beginning. It does seem to correct itself every once in a while, too. I was thinking about trying the 1.3 version of Apple DVD Player (the iMac comes with a beta of versoin 2)... Has anyone tried this?

lowetwa
Oct 19, 1999, 10:10 AM

I have the new (9/30/99 shipped) G4 450 MHz machine. Yes - have observed the same problem of sound delay to picture, during view of a movie. Other than that, view and coloring/detail is awesome! Also interested in a PCI card that will let me project the screen onto a TV with 700 line resoultion - any ideas?

Ster
Oct 19, 1999, 10:23 AM

hi,
i think the sound synch problem is something that affects ALL dvd systems. the dvd format stores the audio and video in multiple tracks, and they sometimes get out of synch. (same thing happens w/ quicktime movies; try playing a big movie while having the harddrive busy, you'll notice it most) i assume that the problem is also there w/ standalone dvd players, only, since all they do is dvd video, they have some better hardware to handle the synching.
just a thought,
ster

Brian Marsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 1999, 01:39 PM

I believe that apple has posted a notice in several areas (if not an insert in the iMac DV) saying that an updated DVD Player would be available either with MacOS 9, or by the end of the month (October)...

the version of the player that shipped with the initial iMac DV's was beta 2, and one of the known problems is the audio falling out of synch

smckenzie
Oct 19, 1999, 02:18 PM

Anybody able to play the Matrix DVD? I'm still on 1.1 version of DVD Player and it doesn't think its a DVD.

------------------
MacFam Daddy

Ster
Oct 19, 1999, 02:50 PM

smckenzie:
search the news archives for the matrix, there'll be an article or link that tells how to fix the problem. sorry i can't be more specific, but i'm heading out the door right now.
ster

James Z
Oct 20, 1999, 08:46 PM

One reason newer DVDs like Matrix, Mummy and others, won't work is because there was a change several months back in the way DVDs were formatted. Sort of a DVD 2. It's not really that different, but older DVD software will not likely regonize the the newer format. You can tell if the disk is older or newer, by if it has a screen like FBI Warning or something before the disk even gets to the menu. DVDs that jump striaght to the menu are in the older format. Try upgradeing your DVD software. It worked on my Wives' Gateway.

smaffei
Banned
Oct 20, 1999, 09:55 PM

Actually, the problem with DVDs like "The Mummy" and "The Matrix" has to do with the fact that they are formated ISO 9660. This is so that can have interactive PC programs. They are not formatted for UDF.

Sam

marlond
Nov 5, 1999, 04:46 PM

James Z- You make your wives share a Gateway! How terrible! Buy them all iMacs! ;-)

Just kidding.

But seriously, I have a copy of the Matrix waiting and ready to go when my iMac DV arrives. Who produces the patch for getting it to work? Is it from Apple?

rjc3
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 1999, 06:11 PM

Have an iMac DV SE myself with the same audio/video sync problem. The iMacs use a software based decoder for mpeg decompression, vs. hardware decoders on the powerbook and towers. The DVD software 1.3 will not work on the new iMacs because they are only for hardware based decoders. DVD player 2 that shipped with iMacs is still beta software, so hopefully Apple will have a fix for this shortly. The Matrix played on my DV SE (albeit out of sync) after it rebuilt the DVD desktop file.

omarv  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 1999, 05:52 AM

matrix dvd works fine with my iMac DV SE except of course for the unsynched audio... sigh

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 1999, 01:41 PM

First of all, to get The Matrix (and other DVDs that aren't working) to work properly with OS 8.6, hold down command-option-i when you insert them. This will force them to mount under a different format that Apple DVD Player can recgonize (this is fixed under OS 9).

While I noticed the out-of-sync problem on my iMac DV, I have never had that problem with my PowerBook G3/400. Seems like a software problem with the beta DVD player under 8.6 on the new iMacs (and new G4s, perhaps).

------------------
Misha Sakellaropoulo
Senior Editor, MacNN
iMac2Day, iBook2Day

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 1999, 05:53 PM

Here the solution finally...
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/001133.html

This topic shows where to get the patch and it's quality
iGeek

Forum Links