Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > recycling old computer... need help

recycling old computer... need help
epop2357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 10:36 AM

A few months ago my Imac G5 crashed and would never attempt to restart. I took it to the Apple store to get it fixed. They told me that either the mother board or the power supply or both had gone bad and it could cost as much as $900 to fix the mac. I bought a new imac dual core 20". I pulled the hard drive and the super drive out of the old computer and use them as externals now. I was told by a friend that there was a way to use the housing and monitor of the old machine as a second monitor for the aluminum mac. Any help I could get from you smart guys would certainly be appreciated.

Bill

P
Aug 26, 2008, 10:44 AM

That trick involves booting the iMac and running certain software on it (a hack on VNC, basically), so it's not an option for you. Trying to figure out the video pinout, routing it to a regular DVI port and replacing the PSU with one that works is going to be more expensive than getting a new display, so don't bother.

epop2357  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks alot.... That saves my trials and failures

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2008, 01:00 PM

honestly, I'd put the hard drive and optical drive back in and sell the imac as broken and as-is on ebay or craigslist. you'll get more than enough back to buy another hard drive, optical drive, and second LCD.

epop2357  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2008, 02:35 PM

Thanks

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2008, 06:07 PM

I've had two G5 iMac's repaired, for free, by Apple...exhibiting the same issue. In both cases, the motherboard and power supplies were replaced. (both out of warranty and neither ever had AppleCare)

iMac G5 Repair Extension Program

Forum Links
Forum Rules