Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SuperDrive won't burn DVDs

SuperDrive won't burn DVDs
kennedy
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 06:33 AM

When I click "Burn", it starts preparing data and then pops up:

"Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an
unexpected error occurred (Error code -2147352480)."

I've tried burning several different things; I've tried different disks; same error.

So, I tried burning with Toast Titanium. Same basic result, but perhaps a more informative error message:

"The drive reported a medium error:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03"

A few months ago I burned DVD-R's from the same batch without any problem.

Any suggestions? Anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

tr
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 08:32 AM

you say you tried different discs, but what kind of discs are you using? i've gotten that error when using the cheap stuff. go out and buy some apple media, or another brand like panasonic, and see if that works.

just because you used these discs before, doesn't mean they are all the same, even if they came from the same batch.

tr

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by tr:
you say you tried different discs, but what kind of discs are you using?

tr
Verbatim... thought they were a respectable brand.
I guess I'll run to Apple Store later today and get
some Apple media.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 09:59 AM

I've found Verbatim media to be among the absolute worst media to buy especially for DVD media, it's even worse than Princo and DVDPro. This is especially important because DVD burners care a lot more about why type of media you try to use with them than CD burners.

You don't have to buy the mega-expensive Apple branded media either, just go to Meritline and get a 50 pack of Ritek media. I have over 300 successful burns with Ritek DVD-R and DVD+R at 2x and 4x.
( Last edited by dark3lf; Jun 28, 2003 at 10:06 AM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
You don't have to buy the mega-expensive Apple branded media either, just go to Meritline and get a 50 pack of Ritek media. I have over 300 successful burns with Ritek DVD-R and DVD+R at 2x and 4x.
You call $14.95 for a 5-pack of DVD-R's mega expensive?? Granted, the 50 pack spindle might be cheaper, but I consider Apple's price to be reasonable, and I have never had a bad burn yet with it.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 12:01 PM

i have used apple's dvd-r 2x and 4x discs in my emacs superdrive with no problems...also i have used some sony dvd-r's...have you tried burning at a lower speed...i burn all my dvds at 1x and i havent had any problems at all.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

a-poria
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 12:59 PM

I always use the apple dvd's and never have any problems. i am surprised by the comments on verbatim, as they have always been highly recommended for cd-r.

slightly off-topic: i am trying to find a way to burn a multisession DVD. I have tried both disc copy and toast and neither will allow it. any suggestions? i simply want to use a DVD for weekly backups.

thanks.

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by tr:
you say you tried different discs, but what kind of discs are you using? i've gotten that error when using the cheap stuff. go out and buy some apple media
Okay... brand new Apple media... same error.

Note that I get the error while it is still saying "Preparing data"... it hasn't really started burning yet... I don't think the media is an issue. But if it is, Apple media has the same issue.

So, any other suggestions?
(I desperately need to find a way to back up my system... the hard drive is getting flaky. )

Thanks.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2003, 03:31 PM

Just for the record, I've never had trouble using Verbatim discs with my Superdrive. Just be sure they are DVD-R not DVD+R.

zzzap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2003, 04:07 PM

Hmmm, I'm starting to get the same error messages. I really hope this doesn't mean I have to wrestle with Apple Support.

-zzzap

Forum Links
Forum Rules