Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > PV-GS120 & Macintosh

PV-GS120 & Macintosh
mgw2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 11:32 PM

I'm interested in possibly purchasing Panasonic's PV-G120, a 3CCD Mini DV camcorder; however, I've noticed reference to a 3 Way PC Link and mention of Windows compatibility.

Does this mean it is not compatible with a PowerMac?

On the other hand, I read on a forum posting that IMovie works well with the camera?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 11:22 PM

I might be able to shed some light on your query as I picked up this very camera 2 days ago.

My thoughts so far: Very small, awesome colour, connects perfectly and has all the features with final cut express and my Dual 2.0 G5 over firewire, feels good in my hands, nice solid construction, has Digital Pass Through which allows you to connect an analog device through the camera then digital to your Mac and record straight into an application. Decent feature set overall with some really outstanding qualities that make up for some compromises.

For me it was a toss up between the Sony HC 65 and the Panasonic. I liked the Sony's bigger LCD display and the manual focus ring, but the touch screen was a big turn off. The Panasonic doesn't have the same low light/zero light capabilities as the Sony, but you can shoot in zero light with it. As for all the other features, the Panasonic and Sony essentially had them all but came about them through different means.

Some other stuff: I haven't been able to get the digital camera part to either mount or transfer images from the card to my Mac, but I think that is my fault so far. The digital camera isn't very impressive, but it is not the reason I bought the camera.

In the end I went with the Panasonic because of the awesome image from a camera this size and price, which for me is the whole point of a video camera.

If you have any questions, or want me to try anything, post and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

titan44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 03:56 AM

I've got the NV-GS400, It's been a great little cam, Have'nt had a problem with imove/FCP, The only hang up i found was that the SD Card needed the USB link From The cam, which would'nt work on the Mac, Got a Cheap USB Reader And was fine. Love that 3CCD

mgw2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 08:53 PM

Thank you for your very positive and informative assessment of the PV-GS 120.

I just purchased it and I'm now concerned about what additional batteries to get since the one supplied with the camera is not a long-runner. With the related issue of the added weight and size of higher length batteries a possible detractor for obtaining more battery power.

If I selected Panasonic's CGA-DU21, (4 hour maximum continuous recording time) would that one add too much bulk to the backend of the tiny camera for comfortable handling? Or would the CGA-DU14 (2 hrs. & 40 mins.) be better?

Originally posted by atFault:
I might be able to shed some light on your query as I picked up this very camera 2 days ago.

My thoughts so far: Very small, awesome colour, connects perfectly and has all the features with final cut express and my Dual 2.0 G5 over firewire, feels good in my hands, nice solid construction, has Digital Pass Through which allows you to connect an analog device through the camera then digital to your Mac and record straight into an application. Decent feature set overall with some really outstanding qualities that make up for some compromises.

For me it was a toss up between the Sony HC 65 and the Panasonic. I liked the Sony's bigger LCD display and the manual focus ring, but the touch screen was a big turn off. The Panasonic doesn't have the same low light/zero light capabilities as the Sony, but you can shoot in zero light with it. As for all the other features, the Panasonic and Sony essentially had them all but came about them through different means.

Some other stuff: I haven't been able to get the digital camera part to either mount or transfer images from the card to my Mac, but I think that is my fault so far. The digital camera isn't very impressive, but it is not the reason I bought the camera.

In the end I went with the Panasonic because of the awesome image from a camera this size and price, which for me is the whole point of a video camera.

If you have any questions, or want me to try anything, post and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 09:13 PM

When I bought my camera I picked up the DU14. Mostly because, as you pointed out, the stock battery has a short run-time. Really, what it should come down to is what you intend to film. I used the stock battery oven 2 days of friends and family stuff, for about 30 minutes of video and an hour of runtime. Even then it was only at half charge.

I don't find the DU14 sticks out much at all; it's not even twice the thickness of the other battery as there is likely a little circuit board in there too, which only needs to be in there once regardless of battery size. I guess your best bet would be to bring your camera to the store and ask them to throw the DU21 on there for you to try.

Right now, I don't know what I would film that would be four hours long, or that I would be that far away from the charger for that long. I think a plus for the Panasonic is that it comes with a AC adapter so you don't need to use it with the battery when transferring video to the computer.

So far, no regrets for buying this awesome little camera. A buddy keeps telling me to take it back, but he's from the Sony camp so I ignore him and let him live by himself with is dull colours. I've even got another friend buying a Panasonic digital camera after playing with the GS120.

mgw2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 02:45 AM

Thanks again for your insights; I bought two Energizer DU14s via Chumbo.com and they seem like a good, medium size, and hopefully enough battery power for intensive, extended use.

Here's another newcomer's question:

I've been trying to read up on the camcorder's many facets in the supplied operations manual, prior to actually attempting any test run-throughs.

The Image Stablilization (EIS) function seems unclear.

When do you turn on EIS? Do you leave it off for general shooting, or do you have to take meticulous account of the taping atmosphere you are dealing with, under all circumstances? Certain situations are described for not having it on, but it's rather vague as to whether you put it on mostly if you have an unsteady hand?

When I bought my camera I picked up the DU14. Mostly because, as you pointed out, the stock battery has a short run-time. Really, what it should come down to is what you intend to film. I used the stock battery oven 2 days of friends and family stuff, for about 30 minutes of video and an hour of runtime. Even then it was only at half charge.

I don't find the DU14 sticks out much at all; it's not even twice the thickness of the other battery as there is likely a little circuit board in there too, which only needs to be in there once regardless of battery size. I guess your best bet would be to bring your camera to the store and ask them to throw the DU21 on there for you to try.

Right now, I don't know what I would film that would be four hours long, or that I would be that far away from the charger for that long. I think a plus for the Panasonic is that it comes with a AC adapter so you don't need to use it with the battery when transferring video to the computer.

So far, no regrets for buying this awesome little camera. A buddy keeps telling me to take it back, but he's from the Sony camp so I ignore him and let him live by himself with is dull colours. I've even got another friend buying a Panasonic digital camera after playing with the GS120.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 06:21 AM

try to use the prg "image capture" in your prg folder... maybe therefore your camera has to be connected via usb...

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by mgw2:
The Image Stablilization (EIS) function seems unclear.

When do you turn on EIS? Do you leave it off for general shooting, or do you have to take meticulous account of the taping atmosphere you are dealing with, under all circumstances? Certain situations are described for not having it on, but it's rather vague as to whether you put it on mostly if you have an unsteady hand?
I have no idea what the best setting is for general shooting with this camera. If you are zoomed at all the EIS is essentially nonexistent. However, I don't know of any drawbacks to leaving it on all the time. I could see the EIS trying to stabilize scene movement and make you video a little worse, but I shot a car race with it on while using a tripod and it looks pretty good. I will have to try it without the EIS on.

I would have the EIS on when shooting with the camera in my hand while making sure to stay away from telephoto shots. For all else I think it would be a good idea to turn it off.

With my basic background it product photography I believe that you need to take account of the environment you are dealing with as much as possible/necessary.

Originally posted by k_munic:
try to use the prg "image capture" in your prg folder... maybe therefore your camera has to be connected via usb...
Connected via USB is indeed the solution. The connection for this camera is the only type of USB cable that I do not yet have. I borrowed one from my brother-in-law and the camera shows up in image capture.app, iPhoto.app, and iView Media Pro. I got what I expected: lack luster low-res images, but again it's all about the video.

Forum Links
Forum Rules