Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What can't I do on my 17" 1ghz? Upgrade to 1.33?

What can't I do on my 17" 1ghz? Upgrade to 1.33?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2004, 12:53 PM

Hi,

I recently got my 17" 1ghz with 1gb Memory, and applecare for $1700.

I am still learning about this gorgeous machine, and I really haven't run into any problems with any of my applications on it.

I was just wondering if there are certain applications I will not be able to run that the newer 1.33 17" will be able to.

I don't do gaming, so that shouldn't be an issue. So besides that, how much better is the 1.33 17"? Is it worth going for the upgrade?

Thanks!!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2004, 01:05 PM

Not really. Your 1gHz will be fine for a while, so hold on to it and use it until your upgrade gives you a larger speed boost. I rarley upgrade every time a new speed bump comes out. I figure my next powerbook will be the second revision of the G5 Powerbook, sometime around mid 2005.

It also saves you time, since you don't have to migrate to a new machine so often.
<This space under renovation>

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 01:14 PM

There's probably barely any speed difference between the 1.0 GHz and the 1.33 GHz. Main differences are the 333 MHz faster CPU speed (of course) and the video card (Mobility Radeon 9600 vs. GeForce 440 Go). But neither of those will show you any more than perhaps a 20% actual performance gain. Definitely not worth the upgrade.

Start thinking about perhaps upgrading once a 2.0 GHz G5 PowerBook comes out. Until then, you should be fine unless you rely on absolute speed above all else for your work. Of course, if you needed that, you would have used those $1700 towards a G5 desktop rather than a G4 laptop.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 01:47 PM

Drakino and Luca explained it very well, not worth. I upgraded from a Pismo 500 MHz 1 GB RAM to a 17 " PB 1 GHz 1 GB RAM, there are three tech-years between and the Pismo is still a great machine to work with. Your PowerBook�ll serve you easily three or four years.

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2004, 01:53 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reassuring me with my purchase!!

Are there any major limitations I should be aware of with the 17" 1ghz?

For example, is there any software that the Powerbook will not run, or will run with major problems?

Thanks!!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 02:33 PM

There shouldn't be any problems with using software on your 1 GHz G4. At least, there won't be any problems on the 1 GHz that there won't be on the 1.33 GHz. The only thing I would anticipate causing problems are very demanding programs that are either dual processor optimized or G5 optimized, but a 1.33 GHz G4 will run into the same problems a 1 GHz would.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 04:25 PM

A little off topic, but where on earth did you buy that computer for only $1700? That's a great price.

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2004, 06:54 PM

Hi,

I got it from our friends on ebay. The applecare that came with it was made the package even more worthwhile.

I actually got a 12" 1ghz 80gb/superdrive/AE mint condition model for $900 1.5 months ago.

And another deal was also for $1700 for a mint 15" 1.25ghz 1gb Memory, extra battery. If you saw it, I had a post where I was trying to decide between the 17" and 15". Obviously, you now know the end to that story.

Just to show you what kind of deals you can find on ebay. Of course we have to beware of scams, especially since many of you would have said these were too good to be true.

Thanks for your opinions, please keep them coming!!

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by kmarketing:
Hi,

I got it from our friends on ebay. The applecare that came with it was made the package even more worthwhile.

I actually got a 12" 1ghz 80gb/superdrive/AE mint condition model for $900 1.5 months ago.

And another deal was also for $1700 for a mint 15" 1.25ghz 1gb Memory, extra battery. If you saw it, I had a post where I was trying to decide between the 17" and 15". Obviously, you now know the end to that story.

Just to show you what kind of deals you can find on ebay. Of course we have to beware of scams, especially since many of you would have said these were too good to be true.

Thanks for your opinions, please keep them coming!!
Can you post a link to the seller who gave you that deal?

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2004, 09:26 PM

Hi,

I'll check for the links, but they were not businesses or anything. They were just 3 different individuals trying to sell their computers for their own personal reasons.

Thanks!!

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 11:59 AM

I love my 17" albook, does every thing i need it to, like you i don't miss not being able to play many games. my general rule is not to upgrade unless I see 100+% increase in performance or a major architecture change. A 2+ghz g5 powerbook would fit that slot, but even if it comes this year, i'll probably wait for rev.2, i'm not really looking to upgrade for another two years.

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 12:17 PM

Hi,

Nice to hear from you, baglunch. I am in NYC also!!

Is there anything that you have trouble running on the 17" 1ghz?

I am a newbie to the world of mac, so I am still learning. I can't imagine that the things available for the 17" will not be enough, but you never know

I'm hoping to follow your route, wait not just for the g5 powerbooks to come out, but for the 2nd version g5's or buy a used and tested first edition like I did with the 17" 1ghz.

I do like though how the 17" 1ghz looks exactly like the latest version. Makes me feel like I have the new one

Thanks!!

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 03:24 PM

No real trouble running anything, but i think this is subjective since it depends on the use, the application(s) you aim to use, your work load, and what you find acceptable wait time.

bluejam
Apr 6, 2004, 01:44 PM

$1,700! You sure this machine isn't hot?
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 02:11 PM

Hi,

I'm positive, I mean there was apple care on it and everything!

Envious, huh?

But check out the other deals I got too... I'm just saying that if you look for them you can get some also.

I have had other great deals also that I got for friends and family, most from ebay.

Good Luck!!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by kmarketing:
I bought an iBook 700 off eBay a couple months after the model came out back in early 2003. The seller was a PC user and didn't want to take the time to learn OSX. She had only purchased it one month prior and hadn't even called the Applecare in. She also included 5-6 new programs and 512MB memory module. I got it on a Buy It Now for $600 which included overnight shipping. The person had excellent feedback and was a steady seller. She took PayPal so I felt secure about the deal. I basically got a new iBook with 3 year Applecare for near nothing and even the ORIGINAL RECEIPT from CompUSA. All the original disks, accessories, and box where included and in mint condition. The retail for the iBook was $999, Applecare $249, and memory was $200 plus tax on the whole lot. I can't remember the cost of all the programs that she sent. I would guess about $200. I got a hell of a deal. I would have driven all the way to Colorado and kissed her

I guess my point is this: You can find a great deal on eBay. You just have to be careful and smart about your dealings. Don't send cash. Make sure the seller is in the United States if possible. Most scams ask that you send the money with Western Union to a different country and require Pre-Approval in order to bid. Check the feedback to see if the seller has sold anything recently. Also check to see what they have sold. Use PayPal's satisfaction guarantee option. It costs a few dollars more but it could come in handy. I saved about $1000. The odds of me getting another one like that is slim.
( Last edited by discotronic; Apr 6, 2004 at 02:40 PM. )

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 02:48 PM

Congratulations on the new machine. Yeah, there isn't anything that the new one is significantly better than the old one.

The biggest thing is probably the CPU and GPU. Since the new one has 512k of L2 cache that helps a lot. But the old one also has 1mb of L3 cache that is suppose to help in terms of video editing, the new one lacks. In terms of GPU, I always liked the ATi cards. But there is also 64mb in the Nvidia, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Enjoy your new machine.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 10:50 PM

There is certain software that will give problems with OSX on a machine that can't be booted into OS9. Certain games like Myst and FLY II gave problems as well as my new musician keyboard which has a USB port for importing new sounds- but only with OS9, not the emulated OSX classic stuff. But I can't think of any other incompatability problems in my experience, which is a good thing. Congrats on your 17". I've had mine for a full year and still love it. Sure wish Apple would send it back soon. The screen was giving problems so I believe they said they will replace the LCD, which is also a GOOD thing since the old LCD had one dead pixel. Hopefully it will now look brand new. I do expect the newer revisions will have 128 MB GPU's and I may consider selling mine for about $1850. It should look brand new when it comes back.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Apr 7, 2004, 12:44 AM

The only app that has problems is Garageband: it quits after 90 seconds. I don`t know what kind of setup is necessary for it to work without running into trouble.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Forum Links
Forum Rules