Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What does the white spot look like?

What does the white spot look like? (Page 2)
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 08:22 PM

As I've previously posted, I have 2 white spots on my revA PB17 LCD screen delivered Mar 27. 2003 [this is an early revA PB, ordered a little after being announced]. One spot is more severe than the other.

I found a gentle rubbing on the LCD screen greatly diminished the spots' effects, but one is still annoying. Indeed, I am sorry I tried -- the LCD is enough better that AppleCare may not want to repair it right now.

The spots really seemed to appear out of nowhere, but they clearly are due to some support piece becoming tight on the LCD (you can gently push on the aluminum and see the spots get worse). There is no sign of a dimple or anything on the aluminum backpanel, however, so I am at a loss to explain why they've appeared at all.

This machine has now traveled twice to AppleCare (one for a dead modem, another for a random board failure), and I'm wondering if the extensive bouncing around has caught up with the LCD. I carry it in a nice Targus bag for 17" notebooks, these spots are not due to my mishandling.

And my screens on my previous notebooks -- a Lombard, Pismo, and a TiPB -- have yet to show any such problems, in spite of 4 years of similar usage. They're all still in service with happy new owners.

I really hope that this case is, like my modem failure, just 'one of those unlucky' breaks for me. But if you're a PB17" owner with spots, post them here.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 11:33 PM

I bought my 15" AlPB just before Christmas and now a small white spot has shown up just to the right of the center. It's noticeable, but not annoying...yet.

teamarc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 12:24 PM

I also have found two splotches on a 17" bought in October 2003.

I reported it to Apple Care in December and they never heard of it happening to the 17s, only the 15s.
They asked for me to bring it in to a store to have pictures taken for evaluation. I finally did so just the other day and the tech said that it is almost definetly not covered under warranty... Of course he didn't think pictures could do it justice, and I don't have two weeks to wait for it to be evaluated to find out they want to charge $1200 to be replaced.

But something in the design went wrong.
First: no pads to keep screen from hitting the keyboard area and leaving the black lines all the time. Second: Why isn't there some kind of padding withing the screen to protect the LCD?

Funny thing is if you pull up the original picture someone took on their 15" and set it your resolution to the 15's, the spots are in the EXACT SAME SPOTS! Seems like a manufacturing issue to me.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 12:16 AM

As I type, my PB17 is now at Apple for repair of the two white spots on my screen. I couldn't take it anymore and finally took it to an Apple Store, and the genius bar technician saw the spots right away. He said it was the first time he'd seen it on a 17".

I hope it comes back fixed -- this maxed out G4 iBook is pretty good, but it does not compare to my PB17 (even WITH the spots!)

BTW, I have a 3 year AppleCare -- so not sure if there would be a difference between warranty work and AppleCare.

UPDATE: Received my PB17 back from Apple (took them parts of 2 days to repair), with a note that they replaced the LCD. Interestingly, this process did not require replacement of the aluminum lid or hinges. It's good to have it back and with a fully operational screen.
( Last edited by SEkker; Mar 12, 2004 at 03:12 PM. )

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2004, 10:46 PM

i've got whitespots on a RevB 17" too ... i'll have to take it in when i get time (writing up to graduate soon)

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by teamarc:
[BFunny thing is if you pull up the original picture someone took on their 15" and set it your resolution to the 15's, the spots are in the EXACT SAME SPOTS! Seems like a manufacturing issue to me. [/B]
i cannot adjust my screen resolution to the 15" (1280; only 1440 or 1152). the two spots i have are near, but do not line up perfectly (probably because of the resolution difference?)

teamarc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 03:10 AM

I know the resolutions are different, but by using the correct sized, scaled image (or the equivalent of xeyes), you can line them up and they virually match perfectly.

I hope they do replace the screen without issue, but they did not seem likely to do so when I went to apple store a month or so ago.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 06:45 PM

are these screens the same as the tibooks, or different? it doesn't make sense to use a different one.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

talisker
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 09:04 PM

How come everyone's in such a panic about this? If you spend $$$ on a Powerbook, and through normal use it develops white spots on the display, it is clearly a defect. Whatever internal policy Apple may have about how they treat this should be irrelevant to you, as a consumer. You bought it, it has a fault, if it's within warranty they will fix it or replace it. Whether you get an easy ride or have a lot of hassle getting them to fix it is a different question. But you are the customer. Don't put up with a refusal. I never cease to be amazed at the attitude of (broadly speaking) Americans on macnn who seem to accept the "rules" and "policies" companies put in place for complaints. It's not up to them to make the rules. And I thought the customer was king in the US!

Anyway, my point is really if you have a problem that you're not happy with, take it back and keep at them until they sort it. For free.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 09:30 AM

On my year old 17" powerbook, it has a white spot in the far top right corner, right where your username is in the menu bar, since that's white anyway i don't notice it. But i do see it when i watch dvd's fullscreen. I'll probably try to have it repaired if it spreads.

Beer Penguin
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
How come everyone's in such a panic about this? If you spend $$$ on a Powerbook, and through normal use it develops white spots on the display, it is clearly a defect. Whatever internal policy Apple may have about how they treat this should be irrelevant to you, as a consumer. You bought it, it has a fault, if it's within warranty they will fix it or replace it. Whether you get an easy ride or have a lot of hassle getting them to fix it is a different question. But you are the customer. Don't put up with a refusal. I never cease to be amazed at the attitude of (broadly speaking) Americans on macnn who seem to accept the "rules" and "policies" companies put in place for complaints. It's not up to them to make the rules. And I thought the customer was king in the US!

Anyway, my point is really if you have a problem that you're not happy with, take it back and keep at them until they sort it. For free.
I'd like to point out that the Apple phone people often lie about what is covered under warranty to slow the influx of people bitching about the problem. When the paint started peeling on my TiBook, I called Apple, and they told me that the warranty didn't cover aesthetic defects. I almost accepted this, but then read my warranty and found that it wasn't true. When I called back and accused them of lying, they made sure to make me happy.
Dooby, dooby doo.

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by baglunch:
On my year old 17" powerbook, it has a white spot in the far top right corner, right where your username is in the menu bar, since that's white anyway i don't notice it. But i do see it when i watch dvd's fullscreen. I'll probably try to have it repaired if it spreads.
I think you're mistaking white spots for dead/bright pixels. They are completely different things, and your "spot" won't likely spread.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 10:04 PM

--

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 12:12 AM

i got my 12" completely dead pixel free. (unlike my ibook g4}

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 10:45 AM

oh, how handy.
iMac G3 600MHz,
20GB iPod 3G,
and a PowerBook G4 soon i hope!

nate_02
Senior User
May 30, 2004, 04:51 PM

I'm sending mine in for the third time now. first time was white spots, now its just really bad uneven illumination problems. Apple said this is the las time they're gonna fix it before they "figure out something else"
-nate

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 03:31 AM

Well, I finally had my display replaced under AppleCare. Apparently Apple switched vendors with the release of the current PB revisions. New display and foam diffuser. I was assured by the Mac Genius that I should never have this issue again.

*Crosses fingers*

badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:14 AM

Does anyone have a photo [jpeg] of the white spots on the monitor?

I remembered there was a jpg that was on here awhile back that had a jpg of a monitor with the white spots, with the white spots circled in red.

???

my brother called and said he's getting white spots. Is the procedure to fix this to bring it to an apple store? [do they take your laptop then? [will they format the data?]]

thanks

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 08:42 PM

The pattern is pretty consitent. Thumb-sized blobs, midway up, 1/3 left, 1/3 right, or both. And/or a smaller vertical row (pinky-sized) ofhtree or four near the middle.

I called and described the prob last Thursday, and the guy just gave me a case number sraight away. "Known issue." I picked it up today, with an entirely new display and foam diffuser, as well.

It, at this point 8 hours later, is perfect.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 05:57 PM

how is the procedure on having it replaced?

do you mail it to them?

or bring it to an apple store?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 07:27 PM

They had me drop it off at a local "Authorized Repair Center," which was actually a small store here in town that's independently owned, but appears to make most of their money by servicing Macs. I had to drive a few miles, but it probably saved me a day or two ship time.

Comuzone, on Shoal Creek Blvd, for you Austinites. BTW: They have iPod minis in stock, as of yesterday.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

nate_02
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by nate_02:
I'm sending mine in for the third time now. first time was white spots, now its just really bad uneven illumination problems. Apple said this is the last time they're gonna fix it before they "figure out something else"
Well I got it back a week ago or so and it it better, but when on lowest brightness, The left side is much darker thatn the right side. I would consider sending it in again, but I'm not sure I'll ever get a good display
-nate

Gig103
Jul 2, 2004, 08:51 AM

Hi all,
I just ordered a powerbook and it arrived on the 28th. Is there a good likelyhood I will have to worry about this?
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Gig103:
Hi all,
I just ordered a powerbook and it arrived on the 28th. Is there a good likelyhood I will have to worry about this?
Probably not. It was the first generation of Aluminum Powebooks that were the most effected. The problem seems to have smoothed out with the most recent speed bump.

CV

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Probably not. It was the first generation of Aluminum Powebooks that were the most effected. The problem seems to have smoothed out with the most recent speed bump.

CV
phew..thank goodness..i will be ordering my 15" later this week
blah

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 12:01 AM

A reader wrote in with a theory on what's causing the "white spots" on Aluminum 15" LCDs to appear. The reader suspects it has something to do with the reflective material used in conjunction with the backlight. When the "spot" area was rubbed behind the screen, the spots moved around. This suggests not a problem with any of the pixels themselves, but an issue with the basic illumination of the panel. The best explanation of this occuring is some sort of anomaly with the reflective material behind the screen, warping or bubbles that are causing the spots. Can any reader confirm or offer a different explanation?

i also found an image of these spots for those of you who would like to see, one being me

http://josephtate.com/images/whitespot102403.jpg

just slightly too big to make part of forum.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
A reader wrote in with a theory on what's causing the "white spots" on Aluminum 15" LCDs to appear. The reader suspects it has something to do with the reflective material used in conjunction with the backlight. When the "spot" area was rubbed behind the screen, the spots moved around. This suggests not a problem with any of the pixels themselves, but an issue with the basic illumination of the panel. The best explanation of this occuring is some sort of anomaly with the reflective material behind the screen, warping or bubbles that are causing the spots. Can any reader confirm or offer a different explanation?

i also found an image of these spots for those of you who would like to see, one being me

I would be pi$$ed!!!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

moep
Senior User
Aug 14, 2004, 06:22 PM

I think I just discovered a first white spot on my 17" Rev C (bought 3 weeks ago). Another thing I noticed was that if I gently press the backside of the Display, the area around the spot gets discolored - just as any LCD does when you press on its panel with your finger.

Seems like my white spot is caused by something thats applying force onto the LCD from the backside. Maybe all others are caused by this too... could anyone confirm this?
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 04:02 PM

For those who have "faint" white spots, do they get worse as time goes on, are the indicative of a lcd failure down the line. That is if I don't get it fixed will it fail a few months later.

I just noticed that my 15"al has them - very faint. This is the revision (last years) that was getting them either I never noticed or they just appeared.

Also how are they repaired? Will I get a complete furbished PB or will the lcd be replaced. My concern is, I have a nice defect free (accept for the white spots) PB and I would hate to get a machine thats more problematic.

Mike

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
For those who have "faint" white spots, do they get worse as time goes on, are the indicative of a lcd failure down the line. That is if I don't get it fixed will it fail a few months later.

I just noticed that my 15"al has them - very faint. This is the revision (last years) that was getting them either I never noticed or they just appeared.

Also how are they repaired? Will I get a complete furbished PB or will the lcd be replaced. My concern is, I have a nice defect free (accept for the white spots) PB and I would hate to get a machine thats more problematic.

Mike
They will just replace the display. They stuck mine back inside the same lid, even. I had 1 very minor scratch on the outside of the lid when I sent it in, and the scratch was still there when I got it back, but the white spots were gone. It's been over 2 months now, and they have yet to reappear on the new one.

powerduck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 07:50 PM

3 small and 2 large "faint" white spots appeared on my 15" rev A after some three weeks of light use. The spots remained stable (number, size, shape, intensity) from October 2003 through late August 2004. The PB was fixed under Apple Care last week within the 1 year warranty (took less than a week from calling in to receiving fixed PB). The parts repaired/exchanged are:
603-4549 Foam diffuser Assy, PE, Displ, PB 15"
646-0222 Dspl 15.2, XGA,P88, Samsung, W4

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2004, 08:10 AM

Well I did it, went to my local apple store. Talked with the Genius who by the way tried to convince me to not ship it.

His logic was can I be without it for a couple of weeks. Apple is pretty backed up.
Not a bad argument

The white spots are faint, and "usually" don't get worse
True but what does usually mean, I would hate have them worsen

If they did get worse bring it in then (its out of warranty at the end of the month unless I purchase applecare). He said he would honor it regardless of the warranty because its a stated problem.
While I did believe his sincerety I did not believe apple would, so not wanting any nasty surprises later I opted to send it in.

With the Labor Day holiday Monday for us who live n the U.S., that means the PB won't go out until Tuesday. I'm hoping this baby will be back ASAP - and fixed)

Thanks for all your help
Mike

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:

I've been waiting for one of these, thanks ! now I know what to look for ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2004, 10:26 PM

interfx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 08:20 AM

Since Apple is going to replace the defective LCD's back - has anyone ever takne one apart to see what is causing it?

I read somewhere that the films in the LCD backlight are scratching each other, or scratching the light guide - until you see this type of image defect... I'm not sure about the reflector bubbling causing this? They're usually just white, and would think some of the optical films in the back light are causing this...

Let me know if soemone takes one apart... Would be interested in seeing what the different back light parts/films/light guide look like... (ie. scratching, ...)

interFX

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by interfx:
Since Apple is going to replace the defective LCD's back - has anyone ever takne one apart to see what is causing it?

I read somewhere that the films in the LCD backlight are scratching each other, or scratching the light guide - until you see this type of image defect... I'm not sure about the reflector bubbling causing this? They're usually just white, and would think some of the optical films in the back light are causing this...

Let me know if soemone takes one apart... Would be interested in seeing what the different back light parts/films/light guide look like... (ie. scratching, ...)

interFX
My guesses about the white spot cause is one of two things:
1.The keyboard is pressing against the display and that that causes lasting damage over time, or
2.Heat. If you feel the flange to which the LCD is attached on a AlPB, you'll notice that it gets quite hot. I simply wonder if the heat, over time, doesn't simply cause the glue between the layers of the LCD to bubble and expand in certain places.
weird wabbit

danny_gasperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by interfx:

interFX
The LCD "white spots" is a known issue that has affected models of the 15" Titanium and 15" Aluminium PowerBook. Although, it is possible in other PowerBook models. In Australia, Apple is replacing the LCD for units still under warranty without a problem.

The technical reason for the "white spots" is as follows: Foam spacers used in between the LCD panel itself and the inside of the display housing, can under certain circumstances (eg, closing the PowerBooks display and applying pressure to both sides of the PowerBook) come into contact with the LCD itself. The pressure from this contact can permanently affect the colour integrity of the LCD at the point of contact. The "white spots" appear in a pattern consistent with the pattern of the foam spacer arrangement. After the Rev A. PB 15" Aluminium LCD issues, Apple have redisigned the foam spacers so this problem does not occur. Any LCD, however, that has sufficient force applied to it can develop similar "white spots" if this force is sufficient enough, or continues over an extended period.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 06:42 AM

My powerbook 1Ghz 17" started showing whitespots last week. they are quite huge, but only show in black areas on the right. if i dont look at them and use a little bit of imagination, I don't notice them. Still, it sucks.

I don't know what happens in the future, will they get bigger?? If so, I better sell this one.

edit : i just watched the link above, my white spots are totally different, much less obvious. They kinda fade into the screen
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 10:18 AM

Just noticed I have a very small (1/2 the size of my pinky fingernail) white spot on my 12" rev C 1.3 g4 powerbook.

It may have been there longer though...I noticed it when I was watching DVD's on it ...seems to only be really visible when a dark background is used.... at this point its not a huge issue but am watching it...if it gets worse/larger I'll send it to Apple to get replaced.

Phiber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 12:50 PM

Well, it's already proven that iBooks come apart where they are glued.
01110011011011100110111101110111011000110111001001 1000010111001101101000

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 09:43 PM

I have two white spots on my display. I took it to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they said that Apple would replace the screen (should have got that in writing). I want to buy an external FW HD before I ship my PowerBook so I can backup the hard drive. Then it's off to Apple. These spots are beginning to drive me nuts!
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 10:49 PM

Well, I've had the Rev B display for quite some time after posting earlier in the thread. No problems so far...knock on wood.

Can those who continue to experience white spots post whether their machine is a Rev. A? I haven't heard of any Rev. B or newer display problems.

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 07:15 AM

PowerBook 12" (1GHz) bought in June 2004. The bottom of the display is much darker now than the rest of the screen. Especially at the bottom corners.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 11:27 AM

I bought an iBook 14" 700mhz around the end of 2002...after about a week I noticed about three spots in the center of the top half of the screen that were slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. It wasn't too noticeable on anything other than a solid color so I never thought much of it. Two years and some later I finally read this thread and see what the white spot issue I heard of the AlBooks is all about, check Apple's page, and realize that this is what my iBook has had all along! Probably won't worry about it, though -- have a new PBG4 on order, should have it in a couple of weeks. Anybody noticed anything with the RevC or D PBs yet?

galaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 05:00 PM

I got my rev. b 15" albook just under a year ago. After a month or two I started noticing uneven illumination in the bottom right corner. This slowly worsened until about a third of the display was much darker on the right hand side. Then eventually the keyboard backlight stopped working occasionally and one of the little keyboard blanks fell off. I also noticed slight corrosion of the aluminium where I rest my hand when using the trackpad.

So I called Apple and sent it in to get repaired. It was away for 3 weeks and came back a couple of days ago, having had the screen and the top casing replaced. Everything seems fine apart from one little thing... I have noticed a very faint white spot just slightly above dead centre on the screen. It is quite small and faint- although when I played 'find the white spot' with my girlfriend, she got it first time.

I was under the impression that the white spot issue was well and truly a thing of the past; so now I find myself in a dilemma because my standard warrantee runs out in a week. I'm pretty broke and Applecare isn't exactly dirt cheap for another year of cover. So I've got to gamble on whether or not the white spot(s) will develop or not. (I don't think I can send it back in already since the spot is only noticable to a white spot spotter).

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

TIA

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 02:35 PM

GOOD LUCK?

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2005, 08:49 AM

Just for the record.

My 1.5GHz PB was just sent in last weekend for service for dead pixels. During the initial inspection at the shop, white spots were found as well.

Will be calling later today to get the repair status.

3/21: update. Just got the PowerBook back from the shop. Verdict, warranty covered the replacement of the screen. My PB is now back on my desk with a brand new display!!
( Last edited by MRTrauffer; Mar 21, 2005 at 04:32 PM. )
I gotta have more cowbell.

LLcoolJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by MRTrauffer
Just for the record.

My 1.5GHz PB was just sent in last weekend for service for dead pixels. During the initial inspection at the shop, white spots were found as well.

Will be calling later today to get the repair status.

3/21: update. Just got the PowerBook back from the shop. Verdict, warranty covered the replacement of the screen. My PB is now back on my desk with a brand new display!!
Lucky you...didn't work for me

bishopdante
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2005, 11:44 PM

Oooh. I know the one. It's not exactly spots. It's more like a continent. All over baby. Suckage.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 04:11 PM

damn, I better check my PB. I just opened the box up yesterday, after an entire week of it sitting around the apartment.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules