Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto and Core Image

iPhoto and Core Image
Tom C
Apr 15, 2005, 03:11 PM

Can you use Core Image's Image Units when running iPhoto '05 under Tiger?

(If you're not familiar with Image Units, see here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/
)

If not, I'm assuming that the main selling point of iLife '06/iPhoto '06 will be the ability to use Image Units...another excuse to get $70 out of us.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 03:17 PM

You do not use Image Units; programs do. If you're asking whether iPhoto '05 will gain the ability to do arbitrary transforms on Tiger: I doubt it. Though there's always hope for iPhoto '05.1, I guess.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mchladek
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 03:18 PM

It will probably depend on how much Apple wants to alienate Adobe. Yes, iPhoto will probably never be a Photoshop-killer, but with the introduction of core image it could be a Photoshop Elements-killer. I don't know how popular Photoshop Elements is (I have it and really like it). But if it is a substantial portion of Adobe's income, Apple may not want to jeopardize their relationship.

On the other hand, until Apple implements layers into iPhoto, Adobe may have nothing to worry about.

Core image implementation with iPhoto would be neat.

Tom C  (op)
Apr 15, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
You do not use Image Units; programs do.
The various Image Units sounds a lot like plug-ins to me...halftones, blurs, etc. You may need a program to access the IUs, but it seems to me that they're meant to be used within a program just like a Photoshop plug-in...highlight the area to which you want to apply it, then select a plug-in (oops I mean IU) from the menu.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 03:26 PM

Even with the inclusion of filters in iPhoto, that's still not half of what Photoshop Elements does, is it?
Chuck
___

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2005, 04:25 PM

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's already in there.

iPhoto (editing especially) is terribly slow... perhaps there's unoptimized code in there for Panther (or non-core image) users now, and dormant CoreImage code in there ready for Tiger.

iPhoto's editing mode, with all its sliders and such, just seems to perfect a demo for core image to wait for the next version of iLife.

Someone watch MWSF '05 again (or WWDC '04?)... I *vaguely* recall a side comment about iPhoto & core image...
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

loren s
Senior User
Apr 15, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by mchladek
It will probably depend on how much Apple wants to alienate Adobe. Yes, iPhoto will probably never be a Photoshop-killer, but with the introduction of core image it could be a Photoshop Elements-killer. I don't know how popular Photoshop Elements is (I have it and really like it). But if it is a substantial portion of Adobe's income, Apple may not want to jeopardize their relationship.

On the other hand, until Apple implements layers into iPhoto, Adobe may have nothing to worry about.

screw photoshop if someone Apple or anyone can use core image to build a super fast photoshop killer more power to them! Apps have gotta get faster ideas flow way to fast to have to sit and wait for stupid old tech programs and destructive filters to render

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tom C
The various Image Units sounds a lot like plug-ins to me...halftones, blurs, etc. You may need a program to access the IUs, but it seems to me that they're meant to be used within a program just like a Photoshop plug-in...highlight the area to which you want to apply it, then select a plug-in (oops I mean IU) from the menu.
Image Units are plugins. They are meant to be used however programs want to use them. Manual image editing is one application. All the purdy Dashboard effects are another. To say they're "meant" for one of these uses and not others is a little short-sighted.
Chuck
___

drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2005, 12:02 PM

I just want to be able to scroll through more than 300 images on a Dual 2 with 2.5GB without iPhoto freezing!

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2005, 12:32 PM

With Core Image, it isn't necessary to have layers. You can switch the various filters on and off at will - i.e. if you apply three filters in a sequence you can disable any one of the three without having to first disable the others. The filters are non-destructive until you save the final image. Have a play with Core Image Fun House (part of the developer tools) to see the potential.

What I doubt you will be able to do in iPhoto is copy and paste other images into a photo, select outlines and remove other image data etc, so a basic Photoshop it will never be.

Slightly OT, but another feature I would love to see added to iPhoto is the ability to stitch panoramas together.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 29, 2005, 12:40 PM

iPhoto already has Core Image-like functionality. iPhoto '06 is sure to get more of it too.

Mind you, iPhoto's competition is something like a cross between Adobe Photoshop Album and Adobe Photoshop Elements, not Photoshop.

And Aperture is built to work with Photoshop. It's not a competitor to Photoshop either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules