Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Store Mac "Genius"

Apple Store Mac "Genius"
delafoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 08:05 PM

So, I took my new refurbished Macbook Pro into the local Apple store to see if they could help me fix some cosmetic issues. Mine came with three tilted keys and an annoying "bump" in the metal just above the latch button.

Anyway, after waiting my turn, I showed the "genius" my problems and he proceeded to push down really hard on the eject key (the worst of the tilted keys) to try and seat it. When that didn't work, he picked it off with his fingernail, then he looked at it and pushed it back on. Still tilted. His solution: he picked it off again and bent the plastic up on the lower end, then pushed the key back on. Now it's straight, but it's higher than the other keys. Then he said, "how's that?" I was dumbfounded.

I brushed it off because I figured this was futile and it was better than nothing. Then I told him about the other two keys, which weren't as bad - the tab key and the \ key. He picked at them a little after looking at me funny, then said all keyboards have a little bit of that. I looked at him funny, then moved on, hoping he would see my plight on the next order of business.

I pointed out that the metal is warped above the latch key. He glanced at (didn't touch it) and told me that they are all like that to some degree because of some space needed to repair it should that need arise or something. Well, it looks like someone tried to repair mine with a screwdriver.

I told him that I could feel an actual bump when I ran my finger over it and, as an example I hoped he would follow, did just that. He just looked me in the eye and said the same thing as before. I felt like I was being treated like a kid.

I gave up at that point and, begrudgingly, said thanks. Then I felt up the Macbook Pros on the way out. None felt anything like mine nor looked as bad or even out of the ordinary. I wanted to tell all the people in the store that at least the guy who helped me was an idiot. He had just finished telling a kid that he couldn't wear his ipod hiking and used the analogy of strapping your laptop to your back and going hiking with it. "There's a hard drive in it..."

Being as this store is an extension of Apple itself, I feel they are represented poorly. I did not leave with a good feeling. I felt like they thought I was stupid. I have been working with computers for a long time and have a gift for figuring them out quickly. OSX and this laptop are not too difficult to understand (so far). I popped the two remaining tilted keys myself and, though they were hard to put back in, generally fixed them. Does that make me a genius?

P.s. My first post was in the "positive macbook pro feedback" thread. I love this computer and will try anothe store, I just thought I'd share my first impressions working with one of them there so-called geniuses. Why don't they call them what they really are: people who know a little more than you do?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2006, 08:38 PM

If they literally were geniuses, they would most likely not be working retail. You may get more satisfaction if you take your unit to an authorized Apple retailer instead of to the Apple Store. Many of those companies have far more experience with repairs than the Apple Stores.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 08:52 PM

Even better, move to India :-) The Apple guys will come over to your place, check it out and try and fix it there, or take it back to theirs, and have it sent back in the evening..

.. On a stick to the topic note, I doubt the genuises will be too keen on fixing cosmetic issues. I've had my powerbook dented a couple places, not major, but they're almost impossible to mend back into place. Only option is to get a new housing if you want the new look, only problem - aluminium bezels cost as much as a mini if not more

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2006, 08:58 PM

Sounds like some tremendous service indeed! And I would agree with your assessment, macboy. From the anecdotal experiences of others it sounds like Apple only repairs cosmetic defects if they're factory defects that clearly impair the proper functionality of the machine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 09:28 PM

I've had much better experiences getting the (Chandler, AZ) Apple Store to do cosmetic and non-essential repairs to my Powerbook 15".

Just last week, I took in my laptop to get the following done:

1) Top case replaced - I had minor (sweat-induced?) corrosion on my right wrist rest.
2) Hinges / Clutch assembly replaced - Over the past year, I've always had pretty sticky hinges. Explained it to the genius, and she was glad to replace it all entirely.
3) Latch hook & acceptor replaced - I've had a few problems getting the lid to stay closed. It's been very intermittent, and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem for the genius, but she did it anyway.

Granted, only #1 is truly cosmetic, but the other two are surely non-critical.

When I got the laptop back, the keyboard was warped and "wavy" -- it wasn't level. The genius advised that sometimes this happens after a repair, but said that if the "hills" in the keyboard wouldn't stay flat after a day or two of continually pushing them back down (there's adhesive), that she'd be happy to order a brand new keyboard and replace it as well. I went back, and she did. I was very pleased with the service I got.

((On a side note, the laptop immediately got turned around for even more service ---- in the store on the day I picked it up last, I noticed that my lower memory slot wasn't recognizing RAM. *Sigh*... off to the depot for a logic board replacement. I sure hope this all gets resolved soon -- I need my Mac back!))
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

delafoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 10:05 PM

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't take the name literally, but the genius monikar gives them big heads, I think. It seems really pompous. It's a shame to pay all this money for a notebook that should have better QC and a company that admits their issues, too.

The casing should be close to perfect or at least have a nice, streamlined appearance. I know it's aluminum and malable, but this is unusally bent. I notice it every time I go to open my book. If it isn't the way it should be, they should glue it into place. In fact, that's what I'm thinking of doing, since if I push it in, it stays flush with the side for a second. Macs are as much about form as function in my book.

you know, good customer service goes a long way, no matter how small or inconsequential the problem may seem. I'm really glad I don't have the hardware or cosmetic issues others have, though. Glad you were well taken care of, azdude.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2006, 12:07 AM

Zerro,

i had a similar experience at the apple store soho. the guy was a jerk. what i did is a stayed behind and talked to a man who was next to speak with mr. jerky pants. and sure enough mr. jerky pants was rude to him too.

so we collectively asked to speak with a manager. he was also rude and not helpful... so we collectively waited around and spoke with someone who we saw and seemed to be polite. (this last part took about 3-7minutes) the other lady was very nice, she got me a different major, the other guy that was waiting to me was able to get his computer replacement that mr. jerky pants refused to try and get. i was able to get my repair started. the entire time mr. jerky pants was staring us down do EVERYTHING he could to stop the guy who was waiting with me from getting a replacement. but we were polite and firm. he got what he needed and so did i.

i did ask the woman who helped us to speak with mr. jerky pants and she said he was new.

so i guess. wait around for someone else who is more polite and let them know that you spoke with someone who was rude and not helpful and that you would like to speak with someone else. be sure to remain polite and calm.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 12:18 AM

yeah. I've had pretty awful service at the mac store here in Tampa, FL.
I've been in there several times for ipod failures and i've always been treated like a kid who has no idea what he is doing. They have always acted rude and pompous. The people who work there just truely aren't nice or friendly at all. More than half the times I've been there i've left unhappy.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

Pennstate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by drewcifer
yeah. I've had pretty awful service at the mac store here in Tampa, FL.
I've been in there several times for ipod failures and i've always been treated like a kid who has no idea what he is doing. They have always acted rude and pompous. The people who work there just truely aren't nice or friendly at all. More than half the times I've been there i've left unhappy.

I have had the same experiences at the Towson MD store. The geniuses are very arrogant, acting as if they don't want to you to buy Apple products. It's kind of sad. Curiously, the hippy-looking, the "my other job is in a Rock band" types are the most helpful and polite. It's "normal-looking" employees that act as if they are Steve Job's lieutenants. I guess the Apple store is where they can feel good about themselves. I mean get over yourselves. You are no different than the associates at the Payless Shoes next door, and probably get paid about the same. Don't get me wrong, I've held lowly-paid jobs before, bus-boy, dishewasher, waiter, etc. But I never had to justify myself by acting "holier than thou".

delafoo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 02:05 AM

Yeah, when I go back for anything else I'll talk to someone different until I get someone nicer. I'm always polite and probably too nice even if the employee is being rude to me. They can probably sense that.

Thanks for letting me know it's not just an isolated incident. It really should be monitored better or they should have a comment box nearby.

MacGobblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 08:46 AM

My Genius told me for sure the express cards were in at Verizon. I left the Apple store in the mall and checked his story at a Verizon Kiosk. Of course they weren't. The interesting part is the Verizon guy said of course they were in till I made him check his terminal. He pulled up a PCMCIA Kyocera KPC650. Today I terminated my contract with Verizon Broadband after getting a Samsung A900 mobile phone that connects my Powerbook by either Bluetooth or USB with Broadband access. Guess it depends on which genius you talk to. Every company has some shmuck to mess up the works anywhere you go. I didn't terminate with Verizon out of spite, just to cut costs of $80/month. Now I will be taking a $140 hit to cut costs with a cingular voice plan of $50/month. In the end I get both a voice plan with Sprint and EVDO for my Powerbook using the Samsung A900 all for $86/month including tax.

So now that I can easily connect by BT or USB with aa A900 I will much more seriously consider the Macbook. One off topic questio; how do you Macbook owners download pics from a camera without a digital cam card slot? Second, is Apples fastest HD for the Macbook 5200 RPM?

Forum Links
Forum Rules