Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple-centric Cell Phone Puchase Tale (or, a little knowledge is dangerous)

Apple-centric Cell Phone Puchase Tale (or, a little knowledge is dangerous)
mattfratt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2006, 11:41 AM

It has been four years since my last cell phone purchase. (last time I said that was in a confessional...) So I bought a new one.

After looking at this page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html) it seemed like Motorola, Sony Ericsson and Nokia where my best options to use iSync for an Apple-centric phone. An Apple Care guy told me that he never had iSync problems with his Motorola phones, but I like the usability and solidness of Nokias (I like that they tend to be a little heavier). My girlfriend and I must have the same carrier because 80% of our minutes are with each other, and she was under contract with Cingular. I wanted a good camera. Internet connectivity was a nice bonus, but I didn't want to pay a lot for a data plan.

In the end I bought a Nokia 6682:
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6682/0,2803,,00.html (it's a renaissance phone, it does everything well enough)

My dream phones were:
Nokia N80 http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.h...US#product,n80 (i like that it has wifi and good camera)

Nokia N73 http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.h...US#product,n73 (i like that it has an autofocus camera)

The problem with getting high-end phones is:
...Most carriers do stock high-end phones because of low demand in US. This means that you have to buy an expensive unlocked version (and the warranty works through the manufacturer, not the retail outet). It also means that you may have to talk to the manufacturer to get your phone to adjust to your carrier.
...They may not be supported by iSync. Sure there are iSync hacks but I don't want to go down that road.

Things I Iearned:
...CNet.com is a great resource for getting to know a phone. They have video demos, objective data, a review from an expert, and several reviews from readers. Wikipedia was useful to get an objective point of view and to explain all of the jargon.
...Buying a phone (for anything more than voice) takes a lot of time because there are so many factors to balance (carrier, manufacturer, features, value, Apple connectivity)
...If you want a high-end GSM phone, I think you need T-Mobile service, because they are the only carrier supporting the 1900 frequency (although T-mobile apparently has the worst coverage of the big four)
...While there is only one Nokia store in the nation so far (Chicago), at least one mall (Pentagon City Mall in DC) has a Nokia Experience information kiosk (they don't sell phones, but they have knowledgeable staff and lots of phones to touch, including "coming soon" phones)
...A good way to compare phones is to do a Google search on the phone that you want, and then right click to open up the first ten results in new tabs. Then open up a new browser window, do a Google search on a different phone, open up ten tabs... compare, rinse, repeat.

I'm grateful for any feedback you may offer.
( Last edited by mattfratt; Aug 13, 2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo in title)
macbook pro 15"
www.mattfratt.com

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 12:19 PM

2 things to add:

Howardforums.com has lots and lots of information about new cool phones, if you can handle the gigantic sig images and lots of 1337 5p34k (did I spell that right?)

You don't necessarily have to pay full price for unlocked phones. Many shops that carry import/unlocked phones also sell service, so you can get the new-contract discount on any phone you buy from them. Of course, with things like the N series or the newest hottest Sony Ericssons, this still adds up to a pretty expensive phone.

Not that any of this will be of any use to you in the next 2 years... But that Nokia seems like a decent enough phone. What'd you pay for it?

mattfratt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
What'd you pay for it?
I

I paid $210 before tax. The phone is actually discontinued, and I feel a little uneasy about buying a discontinued phone. But I looked at the Nokia lineup and there was no other low end Apple freindly Smartphone. It takes pretty good pictures, it can do basic internet tasks, it's well built and designed. Doesn't do anything great but does a lot of things well. Motorolla phones can't handle a to do list so they were out. Most of the low end Sony Ericsson Apple friendly Smartphones had a lot of music capability which I didn't really want.
macbook pro 15"
www.mattfratt.com

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2006, 07:57 PM

Cingular supports 1900MHz. They also support 850MHz. I've found that their service is much better than T-Mobile's. YMMV...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by mattfratt
...If you want a high-end GSM phone, I think you need T-Mobile service, because they are the only carrier supporting the 1900 frequency (although T-mobile apparently has the worst coverage of the big four)
Actually, they have the best coverage after Verizon. They have a sharing agreement with Cingular, so you get tmo service anywhere tmo or Cingular has service.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 12:09 AM

ISTR from HoFo that Cingular's 1900 MHz coverage was very spotty, so that it's risky to use a phone without 850 on Cingular unless you live in a city that's confirmed to have good coverage and don't travel much.

I've been pretty happy with my K750i (tri-band, no 850) on T-Mobile, but have only been out of town with it a few times..

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 07:49 AM

If Cingular has a sharing agreement with T-Mobile to use their cell towers and T-Mobile only operates on 1900MHz, I would think that Cingular's coverage would be greater since they also have access to the 850MHz band.

Forum Links
Forum Rules