Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 AND LOSS OF MEMORY

OS9 AND LOSS OF MEMORY
altivec
Jan 24, 2000, 11:20 PM

when i'm using my computer for the whole day and when i want to play games, such as quake or other memory hungry programs, i can't start it up. i can when i just turn on the computer or when i restart it. i have 128 mb of ram and with virtual memory off, the finder takes up 44 mb sometime 'about this computer' says i only have 33mb free. well i know 128-44 isn't 33 and how i could get bring back the missing ram. when i had my performa years ago, i used 'mac os purge' but it doesn't work for os9. does anyone know of any similar program that purges extra missing ram and makes it available?

john

Damien
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2000, 12:20 AM

The memory loss you're seeing has been prevalent in every Macintosh Operating System created. Now, I love the MacOS as much as the next Apple faithful, but I'd wish they'd get around to fixing the memory leakage. OS 8.1 is particularly bad.

OS X is supposed to finally put an end to the memory leaking we've all know and come to love. Being that OS X is based on Unix, this will probably be true.

Solutions: Closing applications in the reverse order in which you've opened them is supposed to help stop memory fragmentation and loss. There are a number of shareware programs that help you to diagnose your memory use. Some are Memory Mapper and RAM Gauge.

The BEST solution is to restart your machine.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2000, 12:50 AM

it's your browser... i am guessing you use IE, it uses a tricky bit of work for its memory management and browser cache and does not relinquish all its RAM after quitting.

Netscape behaves similarly.

Finder's Friend does not always rectify this and neither does MacOS Purge... it depends.
Depends on what, you ask? On what MacOS you are using and which Mac and and and... (see truism: "YOUR mileage may vary")

I can say that Finder's Friend USED to work and free up the glommed RAM but not since I put MacOS 9 on my G3... And MacOS Purge never could do what Finder's Friend could, though MacOS Purge does work as it should on MacOS 9, at least it does for me on my Mac. FixHeap is totally worthless on MacOS 9, or appears to be on many Macs using OS 9.

The SURE fix? RESTART as was suggested by the previous poster. And pray for MacOS X.

altivec  (op)
Jan 25, 2000, 04:15 AM

actually i use netscape. i too believe it is the browser that are causing memory leakage. well i hope there's a reliable shareware/freeware that someone comes out that will solve this problem.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2000, 11:11 AM

Not releasing the system heap fully is annoying. Using any free memory for application use is legal, not a leak, something that OS X will help change. In the meantime, I find that AppleWorks 5.04 works fine - just launch and quit. ViaVoice leaves about 20-25MB and returns 20MB. That said, if some small program or AppleScript or "invisible" background process gets left somewhere, you may not have a single large chunk of memory. Only more RAM will really solve this, esp. if you know you need 64MB for a game or PhotoShop regularly, and don't want to use your Mac as a "single application" computer.

That "free" 32 or 64MB" on an iMac may be a bad buy if you have only one SDRAM slot and want 192 or more of RAM. With iMacs using the same SDRAM now as minitowers, at least you could sell it to someone and buy a larger stick.

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules