Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > hard drive spin down/sleep in 9.1

hard drive spin down/sleep in 9.1
amraphael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 05:48 AM

Hi,

Anyone else notice the change to the 9.1 energy saver control panel in which the "server settings" are removed? There used to be a check box to "never spin down hard disk" which is now gone.

As a result, the hard drives on my (filesharing) computer spin down when I tell the computer to sleep. All I want is for the monitor to sleep, not the HDs. Anyone have any ideas?

I've tried the following:

1. Moved the slider on the separate timing for hard drive to "never" which means the HD won't spin down by itself, but I can't control when the monitor sleeps.

2. Downgrading to the previous versions of the energy saver control panel (from 9.0 and 9.0.4), which has no effect, even when the "server settings" are set as before.

System info: PM9500/G3(300). Both the HD on the internal scsi chain and the HD on an Adaptec 2940uw exhibit the spin down.

Thanks much for any suggestions!
-amraphael

silentbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 10:37 PM

Can't you accomplish this by clicking the Show Details button, set system sleep to never, click separate time for display and adjust the monitor time to less than never?

I have found another peculiarity:

When I go the the Energy Saver CP advanced tab and activate "wake for other network activity" then close the CP and then go to my G4 and launch Outlook Express it will wake up the original Mac (iMac DVSE).

This can be avoided if I click back on the Sleep Setup tab before closing the CP.

---
Stay on the edge... the view is better.

[This message has been edited by silentbob (edited 01-18-2001).]

kamil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 08:16 AM

Hi.

Well, I have got a little problem with hd spin down too.
When I choose "Sleep" from the "Special" menu the screen
turns off, and the power led turns orange, but hd is still working
and doesn't want to go to sleep..
And one more; I set "display sleep after 10 minutes" in energy saver cp, but it isnt working when playing music with iTunes.. anyone knows why?

What should I do?

My system is: IMac v.A/96MB Ram/2MB VRam/MacOS 9.1 installed
on top of the 9.04.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2001, 08:46 AM

Get a copy of Sleeper. For me, Energy Saver now puts my B&W to sleep but won't wake up and forced to do hard restart. Never happended before but seems common now on b&w's. Sleeper allows individual control for each disk drive - I have IDE, SCSI mix of four - two IDE acting as SCSI on Tempo and Sleeper works fine.

VM off, large disk cache, the drive(s) spin down for much of the time while surfing.

Gregory

Forum Links
Forum Rules