Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP - Protect my Mac from my 4 year old...

HELP - Protect my Mac from my 4 year old...
allensis
Oct 25, 2000, 07:10 PM

I am looking for some software that will allow my 4 year old to use his childrens CD-ROMS, but limit his access to the hard drive and the desktop. He is inches from destroying our data!

Does At-Ease do this for me or is there another way? Where can I find something like this?

Thanks.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2000, 11:43 PM

os9 multiple users should do this very nicely

------------------
-See Yea!

stetsows
Oct 26, 2000, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by allensis:
I am looking for some software that will allow my 4 year old to use his childrens CD-ROMS, but limit his access to the hard drive and the desktop. He is inches from destroying our data!

Does At-Ease do this for me or is there another way? Where can I find something like this?

Thanks.
If you have an older Mac (Running OS 7, maybe 8) you can use At Ease for this. Under OS 9 Multiple Users will allow you to restrict access, but I have found it unreliable on my machine when booting up and personally don't trust it.

------------------
Knowledge is Liberty
Knowledge is Liberty

allensis  (op)
Oct 26, 2000, 12:58 AM

OOPS, I should have said I am using Mac OS 8.6 (and loving it) on a PowerMac 6500/225.

Was 'At Ease' bundled in with any system software at any time? It seems like I used to have it but do not anymore. If not where can one obtain such an old piece of software?

Thanks for the tips.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2000, 01:15 AM

At Ease is very bad. Stay away, Apple is getting rid of it for a reason! just upgrade to OS 9 and you will get alot more than just Multiple Users (which will solve your problems).

Cipher13
Oct 26, 2000, 01:35 AM

How much RAM do you have?
I don't recommend upgrading to OS9 on the 6500/225.
I will soon be downgrading my 5500/250 to 8.6... unless 9.1 is REALLY good...
If you have 64 RAM, you could get away with it... I only have 32 on the 5500, and have VM at something like 200 megs... OS9's minimum is 64.

Cipher13

stetsows
Oct 26, 2000, 08:50 AM

OOPS, I should have said I am using Mac OS 8.6 (and loving it) on a PowerMac 6500/225.

Was 'At Ease' bundled in with any system software at any time? It seems like I used to have it but do not anymore. If not where can one obtain such an old piece of software?

Thanks for the tips.
At Ease was bundled with most Performa systems, but like previous posts state it had stability problems with many systems. I however used it with my old Performa 6320 and it worked fine, but I may just be the exception not the rule. As for upgrading to OS 9, don't unless you have at least 64 Megs of RAM.

------------------
Knowledge is Liberty
Knowledge is Liberty

n8910
Nov 3, 2000, 03:56 PM

Thanks.
Mac OS / Multiple Users in panels mode should do nicely.. That must be what it is for, because I wuld never use it... ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules