Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Internet Preferences

Internet Preferences
alieng79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2001, 06:16 PM

For the past couple of days now when i run either IE or Entourage ive been getting a Type 2 error...I deleted the internet preferences and then re-created the internet preference file...But its been happening way too much, and im getting pissed...anyone know what could be causing this? I have a TiBook 500/384mb/10gig...Thanks

yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 9, 2001, 12:11 AM

Have you allocated memory enough to the apps?

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

posthumanus
Senior User
May 9, 2001, 06:27 AM

my best guess:

you've installed Office2001 (with IE5 & Entourage) onto an OS 9x that came with its own previous version of OutlookExpress & InternetExplorer? yes / no?

if so: you've got all sorts of M$ crap all over the place.

the cleanest way to install Office2001 is to obliterate all previous traces of M$ beforehand (while saving your favourites and bookmarks of course).

and yoyo52's right: with 384Mb of real ram you have more than enough to boost each Office app to 20, maybe 25Mb or more without conflict.

posthumanus.

alieng79  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2001, 08:54 AM

Yes i did install office when there was already IE and Outlook on my machine...So i should wipe out all traces of microsoft, and then re-install office? ok cool...one quick question though, when u see remove everything of microsoft, what exactly is everything? I know the folders containing the files, and the extensions, but what else? Thanks

posthumanus
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 08:12 AM

whenever Micro$oft installs anything, either from disk or download, it always installs a plethora of meaningless crap throughout your hard drive: Extensions, plug-ins, preferences, the list goes on. It�s a plague.

Office 2001 is the heavyweight of Micro$oft�s installations. It dominates. If what you�ve been using lately (IntExplorer & OutlookExpress) doesn�t comply or get out of the way, then there�s a **** fight.

Micro$oft says if you want the best from Office2001 you use the IntExplorer & Entourage (the new OutlookExpress) that comes on the disk.

(to trace previous stuff on your hard drive, open sherlock, type in �microsoft� and it�ll show you where everything is).

rule number one is back-up of course: if you�re going to to this, export your favourites and bookmarks, save docs, all your settings, all your numbers, ect, ect ... beforehand.

and whatever you do, wait for confirmation before proceeding: i�ve been responsible enough for one night.

posthumanus out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules