Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2008 -- versions...

Office 2008 -- versions...
bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 01:54 PM

Just wondering if anyone pre-ordered Office 2008 and, if so, which version. I was just going to go with the student edition (price), but the others do have a few more bellsand whistles. The media management feature looks iphoto-ish, so I'm wondering if it's worth the money (along with automator). Perhaps I can do my own automating!

Anyway, just wondering what people's thoughts are.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 02:47 PM

For $56.90, I'm getting the Media version ($149.95 student/teacher, - $100 black friday deal + $6.95 upgrade fee)
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 02:57 PM

Well, THAT'S sure a great deal!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 05:32 PM

The big difference is Exchange support. To my knowledge, the Student/Teacher edition of Entourage does NOT support Exchange servers, while the other two version do. Of course, if you're in a position where this doesn't really matter to you (or you have no idea what I'm talking about), then Student/Teacher is a better deal. Plus, it comes with three licenses instead of just one!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
The big difference is Exchange support. To my knowledge, the Student/Teacher edition of Entourage does NOT support Exchange servers, while the other two version do. Of course, if you're in a position where this doesn't really matter to you (or you have no idea what I'm talking about), then Student/Teacher is a better deal. Plus, it comes with three licenses instead of just one!
I'd have to double-check again, but it seems to me that when I looked this morning, that all three came with three licenses. That is definitely a deal-breaker.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
The big difference is Exchange support. To my knowledge, the Student/Teacher edition of Entourage does NOT support Exchange servers, while the other two version do.
They do... that will be news to people who have to use Entourage with Exchange. If you don't get my sarcasm, your comment should read "...the other two versions partially do, though no where near a level that actually makes Entourage of any use to business clients."

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2008, 10:25 PM

I should point out that a lot of schools have agreements with Microsoft that make it VERY inexpensive to buy MS software. My school has Office 2004 for about $20. The whole thing, not just the Student/Teacher edition. In a month or so Office 2008 should be available at my bookstore, and I expect it to be the full-blown, all the bells and whistles version. Check your school before you buy elsewhere.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jan 10, 2008, 10:50 PM

I pre-ordered tonight from Amazon. They have the S&T edition for $130.

bmwparamedic
Jan 13, 2008, 02:38 AM

For Students, Researcher, and Professors I must say that if you use any database application that the new version is not supporting Macro's which is a huge disappointment for me as well as others who need citations and references in their work. This causes a big problem for me in my grant and research which I can not use programs like EndNote without saving files as RTF and doing extra work to get my references in the file at all.

I also want to point out something odd is that in the newer windows version EndNote however does run. It really bothers me to see that MS would so something like this. So with this happening I will end up purchasing it at the bookstore after it has been out for a month or so to install on my girlfriend computer, she's in medical school and does write field notes as well as other stuff but doesn't use databases for grants like I do.

I have to say Microsoft you really dropped the ball on this one.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks for pointing this out--I use EndNote extensively and hadn't even thought about this issue for Office 2008.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2008, 12:01 PM

Sometimes I receive protected PPS files made with Powerpoint 2007 for Windows and I can't open them, not in Office 2004 nor with Keynote?

Can anyone tell me if Powerpoint 2008 can open these files now?

TIA
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

bmwparamedic
Jan 14, 2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
Thanks for pointing this out--I use EndNote extensively and hadn't even thought about this issue for Office 2008.
No problem at all I figured there was some people out there who assumed it would just work just like I did before I shot off an email to EndNote tech staff to ensure it did. I couldn't imagine spending that much money for a product I couldn't use.

You can still use it though it just requires more work. If you save as RTF and and some other junk. I like the cite while you write feature.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 01:54 PM

Just FYI, Office 2008 does not have VBS support anymore.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 02:24 PM

Perhaps it is time to start looking at alternatives to EndNote (whose support for the Mac has been absolutely lousy for a long time, imo) and perhaps Word* too:

E.g. Bookends 10.1.2 - MacUpdate

amongst others.

* All that is required for your document, when submitting it to a journal, is that it be in plain or rich text format so you could even use TextEdit as your word processor. Figures should always be supplied as separate files, and in an image format rather than embedded in Word or Powerpoint files.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 04:29 PM

What compelling reason is there to buy Office 2008? Just wondering...

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 06:19 PM

Intel-native?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
Intel-native?
Yeah, that's all I can come up with myself...

If all I needed Office for was to type basic papers (and I think this accounts for the vast majority of users), is this enough? If it is, it is kind of pathetic that a damn word processor actually needs this level of speed and hardware performance to be run comfortably

bmwparamedic
Jan 14, 2008, 06:51 PM

No VBS no care, I think word is a better application than the iWork counterpart. Plus working in an academic setting I have to use office as students submitting papers and labs to me are usually in Word. Can I install both copies on my computer? Typically whenever I give any document to students I convert it to a PDF so everyone can view it as well as not allowing students to be able to alter it easily.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bmwparamedic View Post
No VBS no care, I think word is a better application than the iWork counterpart. Plus working in an academic setting I have to use office as students submitting papers and labs to me are usually in Word. Can I install both copies on my computer? Typically whenever I give any document to students I convert it to a PDF so everyone can view it as well as not allowing students to be able to alter it easily.
Has opening a Word document in Textedit or NeoOffice or something for basic legibility not always worked?

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
For $56.90, I'm getting the Media version ($149.95 student/teacher, - $100 black friday deal + $6.95 upgrade fee)
I did the same, but then I sold my Office 2004 on ebay.. I made a profit, plus got Office 2008 full version for free!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 03:24 PM

Received my Office 2008 copy today. Pleased to see its faster than the beta version that had been floating around the internet a while back.


Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Has opening a Word document in Textedit or NeoOffice or something for basic legibility not always worked?
In my experience, these apps work most of the time, but I have encountered many documents that just don't look right in any app (NeoOffice, TextEdit, Pages, Nisus Writer) except for Word itself. Until Microsoft fully documents its file format structure (never gonna happen), then Word will be required for certain files.


timmerk
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Received my Office 2008 copy today. Pleased to see its faster than the beta version that had been floating around the internet a while back.
Did you buy it, or did you get it free from MS via the Super Suite Deal?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post
Did you buy it, or did you get it free from MS via the Super Suite Deal?
Bought it at retail.


Cold Warrior
Jan 16, 2008, 05:07 PM

I'm still waiting for shipment notification from Amazon.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2008, 06:03 PM

I'm running student/teacher, and I like it.
I don't have much to say about it, other than it's way faster, doesn't crash on random events, and looks pretty good. I still don't know what I think of the interface.
I love the Windows 2007 redesign, but that's not practical on a Mac, obviously, with our menu bar, so they kinda kept it like 2004, but with some 2007 inspired queues at times. Not too sure what I think of the looks yet, but it's pretty efficient to use, so...

Porco
Jan 16, 2008, 11:51 PM

Well, I received a letter today saying they would not honor the rebate because I didn't submit the cover to the manual, although I did. I did a search on Google, and low and behold, I am not the only one.... I hate when these rebate companies play these games...

eblah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Well, I received a letter today saying they would not honor the rebate because I didn't submit the cover to the manual, although I did. I did a search on Google, and low and behold, I am not the only one.... I hate when these rebate companies play these games...
I got my rebate the other day, which I do say is fairly fast for such a large rebate. I believe after all is said and done, mine will come out to less than $40 using the Black Friday deal.

To the one who sold his copy on e-bay: I was thinking they may use the CD key from 2004 to verify, as no where in the process of filling out the forms for the Special Media Edition did they ask for anything to actually validate that I bought Office 2004 (and I actually filled it out BEFORE I even got the software from Newegg). I haven't another Office 2004 CD key though, so I actually wanted to install it until I got 2008.

Does anyone know if they are going to release a 2008 Test Drive soon like they did with 04 while I await the full copy?

bmwparamedic
Jan 17, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by eblah View Post
I got my rebate the other day, which I do say is fairly fast for such a large rebate. I believe after all is said and done, mine will come out to less than $40 using the Black Friday deal.

To the one who sold his copy on e-bay: I was thinking they may use the CD key from 2004 to verify, as no where in the process of filling out the forms for the Special Media Edition did they ask for anything to actually validate that I bought Office 2004 (and I actually filled it out BEFORE I even got the software from Newegg). I haven't another Office 2004 CD key though, so I actually wanted to install it until I got 2008.

Does anyone know if they are going to release a 2008 Test Drive soon like they did with 04 while I await the full copy?
Student/Teacher edition comes with three serials though.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 08:50 AM

Running it now... I must say it is A LOT faster!!! I have a 40pg paper i wrote with diagrams and tables and lots of text and i am easily scrolling through the pages. very smooth. Nice one MS!!

BUT..... fugly! utterly... totally fugly!

It looks worse than office 2004. Even worse still when you apply thumbnails to the page navigation panel. All the apps look bad... not just word. Entourage looks terrible. utterly.

The so called 'ribbon' is just hiddeous.

They did a wonderful job with office on windows.... why oh why did they not just copy verbatim the look and feel of it?? I think they designed this one with the Leopard look and feel in mind.... but it just doesnt feel right with this app.

Just as well i use Latex these days.

Sigh...

bmwparamedic
Jan 17, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by phoenix78 View Post
Running it now... I must say it is A LOT faster!!! I have a 40pg paper i wrote with diagrams and tables and lots of text and i am easily scrolling through the pages. very smooth. Nice one MS!!

BUT..... fugly! utterly... totally fugly!

It looks worse than office 2004. Even worse still when you apply thumbnails to the page navigation panel. All the apps look bad... not just word. Entourage looks terrible. utterly.

The so called 'ribbon' is just hiddeous.

They did a wonderful job with office on windows.... why oh why did they not just copy verbatim the look and feel of it?? I think they designed this one with the Leopard look and feel in mind.... but it just doesnt feel right with this app.

Just as well i use Latex these days.

Sigh...
Any screenshots of what you mean?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 11:11 AM

Personally, I like the new design of Office. Probably because I'm used to iWork by now. Never used Entourage and never will so I can't comment on that.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I'm still waiting for shipment notification from Amazon.
I ordered mine from amazon yesterday (Jan. 16) and got it this afternoon! Probably 24 hours total,.

Bezbozny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 05:04 AM

What is this "media center" that the media version have? What does it do?

Cold Warrior
Jan 18, 2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I ordered mine from amazon yesterday (Jan. 16) and got it this afternoon! Probably 24 hours total,.
Nice. Mine arrived yesterday.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2008, 10:37 AM

Could people claiming 'it is faster, slower…' put also which Mac they have?, that would be helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules