Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Corrupt Address Book - How can I rebuild it?

Corrupt Address Book - How can I rebuild it?
alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2011, 08:03 PM

My father has a corrupt address book that will not upload to MobileMe as part of the sync process. I've successfully gotten a new account on his computer to sync, but not the address book with 1000+ contacts in it. Everything else works perfectly. I've tried deleting 1/2 the contacts at a time to isolate the bad contacts/groups, but it fails on each 1/2 of the contacts. Preferences have been trashed, but did not work. I've also tried restoring it from Time Machine, exporting the contacts and re-importing them and it doesn't work. Is there a way to export everything into an Excel or Numbers file as text, erase the address book, then re-import everything?

Any other suggestions?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2011, 12:00 AM

That sucks. How are you trying to transfer them over? Have you tried copying each individual vcard?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2011, 05:00 PM

Try copy and pasting this code into Terminal while Address Book is closed:

Code:
echo '.dump' | sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb | sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb.new; mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb ~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb.bak; mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb.new ~/Library/Application\ Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb
If that doesn't work, use this document:

Sync Services: Advanced troubleshooting for contact and calendar syncing

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 06:34 PM

try exporting all contacts as a vcard and uploading to gmail contacts, delete address book contacts then export back into address book.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2011, 11:05 PM

Any chance to delete the database on the main computer and copy it over from the back-up hard drive?

I mean not reimporting addresses, but completely deleting the database.

and/or deleting address book.

Then reinstalling it and try if it syncs.

Maybe it's not the database, maybe it's the Address Book software that got corrupted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules