Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Radius DOS on MAC card - looking for info

Radius DOS on MAC card - looking for info
allensis
Jul 3, 2000, 01:59 AM

I just got one of these and am hoping to find any info on issues and fixes that have already been discussed.

Anyone know of any online forums that have this info?

thanks!

joe

gtabbott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2000, 11:28 AM

You can find archives of the now defunct MacDosCard mailing list at:
http://network54.com/Forum/30406

I belonged to this list for years, and, except for issues arrising with newer versions of the System, this covers most of the conflicts with the software.

Tod Abbott.

gtabbott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2000, 11:31 AM

Oops. I should mention that the various Radius cards were the same as Apple's PC Compatibility cards, and will accept the same software, etc.

The current version of the PC Compatibility software is still available on Apple's FTP site (that's version 1.6.4), and will work with OS 9 (and 9.0.4), provided you don't install the PC networking extensions on the Mac side. That's right, since System 8.5, I think, the PC card has not been able to be networked.

Another company (the name of which escapes me) acquired the rights to update the software (not an easy process, apparently) and announced a couple of months ago that things were about ready. Haven't heard from them since, though...

Tod Abbott, again.

gtabbott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2000, 11:49 AM

Threes a charm.

I have to correct much of what I said in the original post.

The MacDOsCArd mailing list mentioned above is still quite alive as at Web-based bulletin board. There are current messages about current issues posting every day.

PCSetup 2.X is now available here:
http://www.pcsetup2x.com/

though due to bugs, the installer is only available for earlier machines (pre-PCI Macs), or DOS only installations. The software costs $40 and is worth it (when it supports your machine).

Tod Abbott, again, again.

nufoto
Jul 3, 2000, 02:50 PM

check this site for an update: http://www.radiusvintage.com/software.tmpl

on the card

gduerksen
Jul 3, 2000, 04:06 PM

The Radius PC-compatibility card is NOT compatible with software for Apple's DOS-on-Mac card, even though they were the OEM manufacturer for Apple! Apple's card, for example, handled memory differently, sharing RAM between the DOS-on-Mac card and the host mac; the Radius card uses seperate on-board RAM. The "Detente" software at the Radius vintage site works through OS 8.5.1 but will not work with OS 8.6. Be aware also that you must use "Formation CD" as your CD driver in place of the resident Apple CD drivers or you will not be able to read CD's on the PC side.
Windows installation from compressed floppies is nearly impossible prior to OS 8.5--Apple specified that installation was only possible from uncompressed Windows installer floppies. However, changes in the OS pertaining to bus access alleviated this problem in OS 8.5, and I recommend using OS 8.5.1 on the host mac.

twautele
Jul 5, 2000, 04:31 AM

There were several Apple branded DOS card and 2 PCI boards (7" and 12") were much like (relabelled ?) Reply/radius board with their own memory. 1.6.4 did'nt work with MacOS 9 AFAIK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules