Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Freezing Constantly

Freezing Constantly
aliendezines
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 08:16 AM

Running os9 at work.
G4
256 ram
vir.mem on
400 processor

Bare in mind, I'm not a mac person (sorry fellas) so troubleshooting macs are harder for me than PC's.
-At work we use Mac platforms.
We work off of servers.

Here's our problem. We tend to freeze a lot, random freezes. But when we reboot, the document we're working on is "locked" and sometimes it takes forever before we can get to it again. Is there anyway to 'UNlock" a document we were working on quickly? AGain, we work off of servers and not off our own hard-drives. OR, how can we avoid a file being "locked" if we freeze?
Since are company is a newspaper, 3 of us (and an occassional few others) need access to the files.

Is it the server that causes us to crash all the time and end up with "locked" files? How can we resolve this?
Our servers are G4 Towers running OS9 (network connected).
I'm not sure if you'll need other specs to help...
All of us are really frustrated in our department and our systems guy is of no help (he's more of a PC guy) so he's clueless as well.
Some drink from the fountain of knowledge... others just gargle it.

If all else fails.. buy a PC!

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 02:01 PM

I don't know if this is possible, but can you copy the files from the server to your own disk when you're going to work on it and afterwhile copy it back.

You could also turn on AppleTalk on your own machine and leave it there.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

aliendezines  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 07:51 AM

We COULD do that... but we are a publication. We do at LEAST 25 ads a day, PER designer. I can't tell you how troublesome it would be to constantly keep dragging files back and forth from server to HD then back to the server. It would be more time consuming to keep going back and forth than it would be to work directly off of the servers.

Froze TWICE in a 20 minute time frame!!!! Nearly threw this DANG mac out the window!!!!

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 06:46 PM

This sounds sooo familiar..but I haven't heard it for years...

I remember something about freezes on a network that had to do with clicking on a menu and it ties up the whole network. Causing a lock. But I kind of thought that would have been solved long ago.

Just a thought..next time it happens..ask around and see if anyone was mousing an open menu....who knows?

Best of luck anyway.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

aliendezines  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 07:35 PM

I'm lost at what you mean by "mousing an open menu".

Forum Links
Forum Rules