Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > backing my system up to a firewire hd?

backing my system up to a firewire hd?
amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 03:22 PM

I'm going to be getting a new hard drive for my iBook but do not want to loose any of my settings, files, etc. I have a 20 gig FireWire hard drive, could I back my current hard drive up to that, then when I get my iBook back with the new drive, reinstall my system on that so it's essentially the same as before?

I have Norton SystemWorks if that is of any help, and I only use OS 9.1 with a single partition.

thanks for any help!

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2002, 05:59 PM

Yes, you bet. Drag-and-drop will work just fine.

If you were in OS X it'd be slightly trickier, but only slightly. With OS 9 you can just copy over the System, Applications, and Documents folders, then copy them onto your new drive when you do that.

Depending how sealed-up your firewire drive is, you may be able to open it up, plug your current hard drive in there, and copy everything over after your new hard drive is in the iBook.

Actually, which model iBook is it? the old toilet seats were bears to pry to hard drive out of...

Forum Links
Forum Rules