Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > playing DVD freezes sound panel

playing DVD freezes sound panel
DennisO
May 1, 2000, 01:13 PM

After playing a DVD on my G4 450 with sys. 9.0.4 and DVD Player 2.2 The next time I do a cold start there is no sound and the speakers in the sound control panel are greyed out. I have to highlight the speakers and do another restart. Any others having this problem

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 1, 2000, 01:23 PM

have you tried deleting the Sound pref's file?

DennisO
May 1, 2000, 03:14 PM

Yes I have trashed my sound prefs, rebuilt my desktop, run Nortons and pulled my hair out. Nothing has helped yet but that was a good suggestion.

In the control panel the sound control is version 8.1.3 and in the extensions the sound manager is version 3.6.5

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 1, 2000, 05:07 PM

ok, then i suggest you delete a mess of pref's files... there was a link to an AppleScript posted by a MacNN forum member some time back that deletes a good amount of the 'usual suspects'

this is something of a shotgun approach and is anything but scientific but i have done this mass execution of pref's files manually many times and i can attest to its efficacy
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum1/HTML/000575.html

DennisO
May 1, 2000, 07:45 PM

OK downloaded the trash preferences script, ran it and trashed just the regular prefs rather than the extended ones.

AND IT WORKED! Not sure which pref file was the problem but thank you for the assistance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules