Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > memory on OS 9

memory on OS 9
Bo
May 2, 2000, 09:53 AM

I have just changed into OS 9.02 dutch version from 8.6. I noticed that the system now uses 65Mb from my total of 256. usually a system needs about 30 Mb. I've read about virtual memory but I usually don't use virtual mem because of Photoshop which is one of my main progr. Any suggestion on lowering that 65 Mb?

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2000, 10:54 AM

Try disabling extensions that you don't regularly use. Also, you won't like this, but if you turn VM on, your memory usage should go down to 45-50MB. I have an iMac with 192MB and when VM is on, the system takes up about 35MB... With VM off, it takes up about 45MB. Plus OS 9 is a memory hog. But you should try to get rid of unneeded extensions and control panels and possibly try using VM. Hope this helps!

------------------
-- iPond317
All hail iMac DV
G4 Performance Leader
iBook #1 consumer laptop
Mac OS 9: Your Internet co-pilot
Power Mac G4 considered "super computer"
Think different.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Bo
May 3, 2000, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the response. As I told before, Photoshop doesn't like virtual mem. I got to 40,4 mb with virtual mem on in the default setting (plus one Mb). I asked Apple here in Holland and they say it's normal. Does anybody have experience with only 128 Mb mem and os9 ? Can you work with 60 Mb left for programmes like Photoshop?

Cipher13
May 3, 2000, 08:01 AM

I got OS 9.04 and 128 megs, with VM on, and on average the Finder uses 30 megs. With VM off, it uses about 45 megs or more.
I have used Photoshop with both settings, and the performance sacrifice (practically nothing) is worth it for that extra RAM. I say try it with VM on, and you won't even notice.

Cipher13

Bo
May 3, 2000, 08:22 AM

I suspected that with less available memory, os9 would use less. Thanks for confirming this. Now I have reasonable hope that the level can be around 30 Mb when I install OS9 on a 128 mb. mac. Why wasn't apple or anybody mentioning this before? Do most of us have 128 Mb?

P
May 3, 2000, 05:22 PM

VM isn't that awful together with Photoshop anymore - both Apple and Adobe have done theirs to optimize things. Try it out and see if how it works.

To make your RAM partition a little smaller, you can remove memory-hungry things like Web Sharing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules