Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > When will WoW be available?

When will WoW be available?
Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2004, 10:50 PM

I'm really looking forward to playing this game. However, I'm noticing that a bunch of people are (somehow) already playing this game and leveling a lot as I write. When can I join the madness? And if it's already available (although it's not yet in stores). how can i acquire it? Thanks.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

redJag
Senior User
Nov 17, 2004, 11:08 PM

www.worldofwarcraft.com

The people currently playing are testing it. The open beta ends tomorrow, retail starts next tuesday.
Travis Sanderson

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 01:59 AM

And don't worry about people leveling up, they are wiping all our account information tomorrow. Everyone starts fresh Tuesday.

Speaking of WoW.... How bout a Macnn guild on an east coast server?

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 02:22 AM

Thanks for the information.

Not that I'm afraid of starting way behind everyone else, it's just that I don't want to play the game 24 hours a day just to catch up. I started Final Fantasy XI a year behind and I've been playing it nonstop to get higher and higher levels. I'm a big fan of getting a high level character to help lower level ones like i've been doing in Final Fantasy. I really hope the game lives up to its hype, because Blizzard has NEVER let me down in the past (except for bringing StarCraft: Ghost to consoles only and not making it a souped-up strategy game).

By the way, a semi-related question: do a lot of people still play EverQuest? I remember it coming out for Mac way after the original PC version was released.
Go Dogcows!

FlammableYurt
Nov 18, 2004, 03:13 AM

I don't think you have anything to worry about... I find WoW nothing but incredibly addictive. One moment I'll be writing an english paper, the next I'll find my cursor over the WoW icon . I've stayed up all night even on weekdays a few times doing some of the harder quests! If I may say so, this is Blizzard's best game yet. I'm a fan of all the others, but I love that you interact with other people so much, the gameplay is awesome, the quests are very diverse and even the hack&slash aspect can sometimes be too addicting .
I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, and these blue, green, and purple HILLS

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by FlammableYurt:
I don't think you have anything to worry about... I find WoW nothing but incredibly addictive. One moment I'll be writing an english paper, the next I'll find my cursor over the WoW icon . I've stayed up all night even on weekdays a few times doing some of the harder quests! If I may say so, this is Blizzard's best game yet. I'm a fan of all the others, but I love that you interact with other people so much, the gameplay is awesome, the quests are very diverse and even the hack&slash aspect can sometimes be too addicting .
Well, it won't be any different than Final Fantasy then, as far as addiction goes =).

As far as Blizzard's best game, that's a bold statement. Of course, this means I'm going to love it!

By the way, are there special perks for attaining certain levels? For example, in Final Fantasy, you can get a subjob when you reach level 18, ride a chocobo at level 20, choose an advanced job at level 30, and ride the airship when you get rank 5 (which normally happens at level 40+ with help unless you come up with an unbelievable 500,000 gil to spend on it). That would be cool as well to have in WoW.
Go Dogcows!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by RedStar:

Speaking of WoW.... How bout a Macnn guild on an east coast server?
If servers end up not forced, it dont matter. all the servers are in one place anyway.

-Owl

entrox
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
Well, it won't be any different than Final Fantasy then, as far as addiction goes =).
It's pretty bad actually. I racked up more than 2 days total /played in only 5 days of open beta. I had to step back a bit after realizing this.

By the way, are there special perks for attaining certain levels?
Yes, you can learn how to ride a mount at level 40 and an even bigger version at level 60. They are pretty awesome.

FlammableYurt
Nov 18, 2004, 06:48 AM

You can also only go so far in your trade skills depending on your level. You won't be able to become an Artisan blacksmith at level 5. So yes, leveling has its perks such as mounts, trade skills, certain items require the user to be a certain level and, of course, you need to level to get harder quests.

But yeah... This game is too addicting, and in just a couple weeks it's already affected my performance in school

And yes, I truly do believe this is Blizzard's best game (by best I mean most fun and potentially most replayable). There is essentially limitless replayability - a huge number of quests bound only to grow, trade skills to experiment with, 6 different classes to choose from, but most importantly - people to meet and play with. In no other Blizzard game are you so involved with other people, and that makes this game so enjoyable for me (well, in addition to the awesome gameplay, appeasing graphics/music, etc).
I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, and these blue, green, and purple HILLS

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
If servers end up not forced, it dont matter. all the servers are in one place anyway.

-Owl
owlboy forgot to mention, there is already a guild started here on MacNN, the Reservior Dogcows. We're a (mostly) Mac guild, and we have a lot of fun.

We intend on rolling again in the release. I already have my preorder in, so I will hopefully be playing in release some time next week.

We spent the last night of beta first be defeating Van Cleef (the first instance boss that Alliance characters meet), then raiding on Onxyia ( a level 60 raid dragon that so far is unbeaten). It was a lot of fun, and it got me ready for retail.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 02:13 PM

6 different classes to choose from
9. There are 9 classes. 8 races, 6 starting locations.

Not to mention that you can choose different specializations within one class, thanks to talents.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 02:20 PM

Here's some reading material:

Classes:
Druid
Warrior
Rogue
Paladin
Shaman
Hunter
Priest
Mage
Warlock

Races:
Human
Dwarf
Gnome
Night Elf
Troll
Tauren
Orc
Undead

Professions:
Alchemy
Blacksmithing
Enchanting
Engineering
Leatherworking
Tailoring
Mining
Herbalism
Skinning
Fishing
First Aid
Cooking

You choose two primary professions, plus you can also learn fishing, first aid, and cooking if you wish.

FlammableYurt
Nov 18, 2004, 02:20 PM

Hmmm... Is it possible to join multiple guilds?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 02:22 PM

Hmmm... Is it possible to join multiple guilds?
One guild per character, but you can create multiple characters, each in a separate guild.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
owlboy forgot to mention, there is already a guild started here on MacNN, the Reservior Dogcows. We're a (mostly) Mac guild, and we have a lot of fun.
Yep, there are lots of familiar MacNN (and not so familiar in recent times since they got in the Beta!) faces in the Dogcows... and also some great new people... overall a fantastic guild to be in!

www.dogcows.net

=)

(Have to wait for my copy to ship to the UK, so will be in game in a week or so I guess, but I'll be playing, as always, under the names 'Sosumi, Sosume, Sosuyou, Sosuhim, Sosuher'! )

-Q-
Nov 18, 2004, 04:00 PM

I don't know if it's the best game Blizzard has ever released (insert nostalgia about Starcraft and Diablo II) but it certainly is addictive. I've not lost this much sleep in a long time. I'll definitely be playing next week.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2004, 04:26 PM

Forgive me for complaining, but "Reservoir Dogcows", while clever in its own right, is (in my humble opinion) an awful name for a Warcraft guild! The name is just not in the spirit of things.

A fantasy guild should have a name like:
"Knights of Westmarsh"
"Swordfellows of the Holy Flame"
"Mountain Orc Batallion"
and so on.

So�are there any Mac guilds with good names that I can join?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
Forgive me for complaining, but "Reservoir Dogcows", while clever in its own right, is (in my humble opinion) an awful name for a Warcraft guild! The name is just not in the spirit of things.

"Knights of Westmarsh"
"Mountain Orc Batallion"
and so on.

Other WoW Mac Guilds that I know of are:

mAc - http://www.clan-mac.com/
Clan [MA] - http://wow.clanmacaddict.com/

Cipher13
Nov 19, 2004, 08:54 AM

"Knights of Westmarsh"
"Mountain Orc Batallion"
and so on.

Why should they have such names? Join the RP server if you take it that seriously... because honestly, if you're bothered by "Reservoir Dogcows", you're gonna be driven insane on the standard servers.

Rip Ya To Shreds, anyone?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 09:17 AM

"Knights of Westmarsh"
"Mountain Orc Batallion"
and so on.

I think the MacAddict guild is leaning towards a role-playing name. But as Cypher said, you can expect to see all sorts of immersion-breaking names in the game. IMHO, the most important goal of a guild name is to be memorable and unique. I think RD accomplishes this.

In any case, we're all quite attached to the name and will be using it in retail.

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Yep, there are lots of familiar MacNN (and not so familiar in recent times since they got in the Beta!) faces in the Dogcows... and also some great new people... overall a fantastic guild to be in!

www.dogcows.net

=)

(Have to wait for my copy to ship to the UK, so will be in game in a week or so I guess, but I'll be playing, as always, under the names 'Sosumi, Sosume, Sosuyou, Sosuhim, Sosuher'! )
Adam Betts is a site-designing genius.

The site looks cool, but I'm still deciding which guild to join. All of my friends play Final Fantasy XI and don't plan on playing this, so I my need to make some friends here.
Go Dogcows!

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:16 PM

Adam Betts is a site-designing genius.

The site looks cool, but I'm still deciding which guild to join. All of my friends play Final Fantasy XI and don't plan on playing this, so I my need to make some friends here.
You think that site is cool? Just wait. Adam and I are planning on launching the real site next week. Adam has put together a stunning design.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:29 PM

Definitely the most addictive game ever. Can't wait for tuesday

Will be good to get a fresh start though. Gonna try to level as fast as possible so questing in contested zones isn't such a gank fest, lol. (in pvp that is)

I rolled an undead warlock on day 1 of stress test 2. Got to lvl25 before I couldn't stand warlock anymore, so then I rolled a gnome mage and loved it. But by this week, at lvl22, solo questing in ashenvale was risky business. Never failed there was always a stealthed rogue hiding somewhere to gank you just as you engaged a high lvl mob, lol.

Good times.

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 03:37 PM

Well, it will definitely be nice to finally get into the game and get a hang of the contols/battle system/etc. I don't know anything about the game yet. Hopefully I can join up on your guild to have some experienced players I can occasionally ask =)
Go Dogcows!

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster

Well, it will definitely be nice to finally get into the game and get a hang of the contols/battle system/etc. I don't know anything about the game yet. Hopefully I can join up on your guild to have some experienced players I can occasionally ask =)
Go Dogcows!

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster

Go Dogcows!

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 03:41 PM

Totally. Stop by our forums and say hello!

Also, be sure to check our site right after release so you know which servers to join.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 07:49 PM

What's the advantage of playing on PvE instead of PvP? I notice the dogcows dont have an east coast alliance PvP server. Do I Still get to fight horde on PvE?

redJag
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 12:22 AM

On PvE, any PvP action is mutually consensual. To fight another player, you have to set your pvp flag by typing /pvp. I believe this is also set if you buff another player or NPC that is in pvp mode, too. Once in pvp mode, anyone from the opposing faction can attack you, which will put them in pvp mode so you can fight back. If you don't do anything while in pvp mode, it wears off after 3-5 minutes. PvP server = the best.
Travis Sanderson

Xidius
Nov 20, 2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
It's pretty bad actually. I racked up more than 2 days total /played in only 5 days of open beta. I had to step back a bit after realizing this.
I had over 70 days played on my Troll Rogue.

I win.

http://thottbot.com/index.cgi?p=Xidius

- Xidius
You're just jealous coz' the voices wont talk to you!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2004, 03:05 AM

I know I'm going to fail this semester if I get this game... boy I can't wait until Tuesday! Hopefully my powerbook will handle it decently!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
I know I'm going to fail this semester if I get this game... boy I can't wait until Tuesday! Hopefully my powerbook will handle it decently!
It ran fine on my 800Ti. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Xidius:

I win.

- Xidius
Wow, that's insane.

How long does it take to level anyway? Looks like I have a long way to go...
Go Dogcows!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 12:13 PM

Wow, that's insane.

How long does it take to level anyway? Looks like I have a long way to go...
I hit 55 in 19 complete days of playtime, and then gave up on the character until the cap was raised to 60.

From there, it took me about 3 days to get to 57... I then gave up again and played some alts.

http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?p=Sosume

I bet that people will hit lev 60 in 3-4 weeks from release easily... then the fun starts! =)

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 04:47 PM

I got to level 60 in just shy of 21 days. I wasted a lot of that time mining and such though -- I suspect I could cut off a lot of time if I were trying to get to 60 as fast as possible.

With that said, I don't intend to power-level in release. I suspect I'll blow through the first 20 levels or so, since I have done it several times, but from level 20 on I'm going to really take my time and enjoy the adventure. In the OB I leveled a character to 21 in about 1.5 days of playing time, and could have done it a lot faster had there not been so much lag and contention for quest monsters.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 05:13 PM

I win.

- Xidius
This was me:

http://thottbot.com/index.cgi?profil...er.Beta_Server

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 21, 2004, 10:30 PM

I loved playing a rogue during the open beta but I've got one big concern: I haven't gotten far enough to know how raids work (Onyxia, etc.) but I've got a feeling rogues are going to be the absolute worst class for raids.

Most of the damage dealt by rogues is done while stealthed...if you engage combat with, say, Onyxia, you can deal your ambush damage or garotte (that's if Onyxia doesn't break your stealth) while stealthed but then you won't be able to stealth for the rest of the fight unless you vanish, right? So what next? You gotta start meleeing Onyxia with backstabs or sinister strikes with your leather armor? Or is the rogue supposed to stand back and shoot throwing daggers or arrows or bullets at Onyxia?

Am I missing something or is the rogue really going to get owned vs raid boss creatures?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Am I missing something or is the rogue really going to get owned vs raid boss creatures?
It's still too early to tell. So far, everyone in WoW sucks at WoW raids. The one time I faced Onxyia, the playout was this:

1) One warrior faced her. He stood there, bashing on her, gaining aggro, while paladins did some sort of small heal spell in waves to keep him alive.

2) At some point, the raid leader starts adding in other attacks: non-hunters with guns, then hunters, then priests and mages, etc. All melee classes (including warriors) were worthless except that one poor old tank.

I can't imagine this is the best way to do a raid. But when the "easy" mobs leading up to the boss are 64 elites, and it's a "beginner" raid, I am very interested to see what Blizzard has in mind. Maybe a successful raid would have been able to use all the warriors and rogues that were shooting the old dragon for 50-80 damage instead of the 2200 damage crits we're capable of.

Cipher13
Nov 21, 2004, 11:58 PM

I win.

- Xidius
Nice gear... I never got my Ghostshroud in the end. Ah well, I can wait till retail.

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
I loved playing a rogue during the open beta but I've got one big concern: I haven't gotten far enough to know how raids work (Onyxia, etc.) but I've got a feeling rogues are going to be the absolute worst class for raids.

Most of the damage dealt by rogues is done while stealthed...if you engage combat with, say, Onyxia, you can deal your ambush damage or garotte (that's if Onyxia doesn't break your stealth) while stealthed but then you won't be able to stealth for the rest of the fight unless you vanish, right? So what next? You gotta start meleeing Onyxia with backstabs or sinister strikes with your leather armor? Or is the rogue supposed to stand back and shoot throwing daggers or arrows or bullets at Onyxia?

You say that like a Rogue can't do much damage out of stealth... not true at all. The stealth benefit is just a quick start; two combo points straight up (with Cheap Shot), or an opening DoT (Garotte) (unless you're Ambush spec'd). When it comes down to it... a Rogue can do massive damage so long as somebody else holds aggro.

If somebody can successfully hold aggro over you, stick behind. Backstab, backstab, backstab, backstab, backstab, eviscerate. That's at least 2000 damage right there, depending on how you're spec'd - and assuming NO crits. With crits, that could be over 4000 (depending on the mob, of course). Even better, if you have time, use rupture; armour is ignored.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 03:14 AM

Played a rogue in the OB but didn't get far enough to get the poison skills. Could someone tell me what that comprises of? Is it pretty effective? And do you need some reagents to make the poisons? Do you need alchemy to make them? Or just the ingredients?

Thanks,

~BS

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2004, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:
Played a rogue in the OB but didn't get far enough to get the poison skills. Could someone tell me what that comprises of? Is it pretty effective? And do you need some reagents to make the poisons? Do you need alchemy to make them? Or just the ingredients?

Thanks,

~BS
The Poisons skill is like a miniature Rogue-only alchemy, of sorts.

Currently, there are 5 different poisons; crippling poison (reduces movement speed), deadly poison (DoT, stacks up to 5 times), instant poison (hit bonus, instant damage), mind numbing poison (increases casting time on casters), and wounding poison (decreases effectiveness of heals).

Basically, you buy reagents from a poison vendor or shady dealer (reagents like crystal vials, deathweed, essence of pain, etc), and mix them up to form a poison, a la alchemy, which is then applied to a sharp weapon (or weapons). You do not need alchemy, just the poisons skill, which you get as a Rogue from a quest line.

Poisons rock, really. Mind numbing poison is a casters worst nightmare, deadly poison and instant poison can really make an impact on your dps, and crippling poison is almost necessary in places like Blackrock Depths, or anywhere with running mobs. Wounding poison I haven't used much, as it was only recently added.

I'd like to see a poison that weakens attackers, or slows their rate of attack.

Hope that helps...

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 04:48 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Hope that helps...
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Do you need to buy all the ingredients? or would herbalism be a good skill for a rogue?

~BS

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2004, 05:00 AM

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Do you need to buy all the ingredients? or would herbalism be a good skill for a rogue?

~BS
I don't believe any of the ingredients can be harvested with herbalism... they must all be bought from a poison vendor, to the best of my knowledge.

FlammableYurt
Nov 22, 2004, 05:20 AM

Hey I've been wondering something: how do item sets work? Do you need all the items in a set for the supposed bonus to take effect, or will just some still give you a bonus? And how do you tell what that bonus is?

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2004, 06:14 AM

Hey I've been wondering something: how do item sets work? Do you need all the items in a set for the supposed bonus to take effect, or will just some still give you a bonus? And how do you tell what that bonus is?
I'm not sure... do you just mean attribute bonuses? If so, then they take effect regardless of the number of items in a set that you have; as with procs, crit increases, dodge increases, etc.

Though I have noticed some of the newer sets have a rating of how many pieces of a set you're wearing (eg. the Devilsaur leather recipes... 1/2 or 2/2 if you have both the legs and the gauntlets).

I'm not sure if they have a bonus that only activates if you're wearing both items, though.

FlammableYurt
Nov 22, 2004, 06:22 AM

IF you go to http://worldofwarcraft.com/info/items/basics.html it says:

"Set Items
There are Set Items where wearing more pieces of an item set will convey more bonuses to your character."

So that's why I'm wondering... It just seems like the extra bonuses would be shown if they're there at all...

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I don't believe any of the ingredients can be harvested with herbalism... they must all be bought from a poison vendor, to the best of my knowledge.
I'm sorry... I wasn't listening. (Sorry have to respond to your lebowski sig)

Good to know. Guess I won't waste my time with herbalism this time around... know of a good reference for the rogue skill tree? I'd like to take a little look at it instead of just randomly assigning points like I did in the OB.

~BS

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2004, 09:01 AM

I'm sorry... I wasn't listening. (Sorry have to respond to your lebowski sig)

Good to know. Guess I won't waste my time with herbalism this time around... know of a good reference for the rogue skill tree? I'd like to take a little look at it instead of just randomly assigning points like I did in the OB.

~BS
Hehehe. Great movie.

There are a few sites around that have java applets that simulate the talent system, I'll check my bookmarks to find a few... other than that, it really depends on what kind of build you want.

I can post my build (with talent screen images) if you like... I was a damage build, as opposed to one-on-one combat or subtlety.

I had 17 points in Assassination, 14 in Combat, and 18 in Subtlety (I think I put my last point in Combat; but that postdates the screenshots).

Early on, it isn't so hard as a Rogue, as chances are you'll fill the first 3 tiers of each talent line (though I didn't fill the first Combat tier - I left out the increased Dodge chance for the sake of maximum damage).

It really depends on what you wanna be.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 22, 2004, 09:34 AM

I think I might be on to something with the PvP build I was trying to make during Open Beta. I just didn't have time to complete it.

The build is almost entirely composed of Subtlety skills with the exception of 3 points in Eviscrate and 5 in Malice.

The rest goes into Master of Deception, Camouflage, Elusiveness, Opportunity, Initiative, Improved Vanish, Preparation, Improved Cheap Shot, Premeditation.

The important ones though are Preparation, Initiative, and Premeditation and here's what I had in mind with these skills:

Sneak up behind someone and use Premeditation for 2 combo points, Cheap Shot the guy for another 2 (with 3/4th of a chance of getting a 3rd point)...if you don't get the 3rd point, you've got time to add it with a Sinister Strike while he's stunned...if you got the 3rd point, you're already up to 5 points and can Eviscerate him right away, Vanish, Preparation (too finish the cool down on Premeditation and Vanish), Premeditate, Cheap Shot, Eviscerate, Vanish, and then start the fight with an Ambush.

That's 2500+ dmg before the fight even starts.

The only things I'm not sure about are these: Preparation is supposed to finish the cool down on all Rogue abilities, I'm guessing it will finish the cool down on Premeditation...and I don't know how often Cheap Shot misses and if Eviscerate misses while someone is stunned.

I know Rogues got some weird nerfing near the end of the closed beta so I don't know if I can make this build since it relies so much on Cheap Shot and Eviscerate not missing.

I can understand Rogues missing *during* combat but I don't understand the Blizzard game mechanics that makes Rogues miss an Ambush or Backstab from Stealth or an Eviscerate when the person is stunned.

PvP is all about not giving the enemy a chance to react. If I give a mage a chance to do something, I'll get polymorphed. If I give a hunter a chance to do something, I'll get a Hunter's Mark. If I give a warrior a chance, I'll get pummeled before I can say "Gotcha!" If I give a Paladin a chance, he'll likely use his seemingly endless lives. With the build I'm creating, I should be getting 5 point Eviscerates almost everytime while the enemy is stunned and vanish before the Cheap Shot stun no longer takes effect. Then I can do the exact same thing because I can finish the cool down on two powerful abilities in a fight.

I've calculated the damage using the minimum Eviscerate dmg and highest rank skills, the absolute minimum damage if everything goes wrong (with the exception of a missed Cheap Shot and Ambush since these should be pretty rare and if they happen during PvP, you might as well Vanish right away and go sob in the corner) are two 4 point Eviscerates (with 15% dmg bonus from talents) and an Ambush (with 20% dmg bonus from talents) for a total of 2000 dmg. That's if everything goes wrong.

If everything goes right and you can get your 5 point Eviscerates in (still min dmg on a 5 point Eviscerate, we're talking 2500 dmg). And if everything goes right and luck is on your side and you get at least one critical strikes on either one of the two Eviscerates or the Ambush, we're looking at 3000+ dmg before the fight even starts.

If that doesn't kill a spellcaster or if that doesn't get warriors down to almost half health, I don't know what will.

But vs normal mobs and raid bosses like Onyxia, this build would probably totally suck.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Nov 22, 2004 at 10:03 AM. )

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 10:59 AM

Horsepoo, sounds like you have a good build in mind. Just FZYI though, I suspect that even 2000 damage won't be enough on a high-level warrior. My warrior at level 60 was mostly wearing gear for a level 50, and he had 4500 HP with a shield. If I could have gotten some of that good BRD/BRS gear I would have had over 6000 HP easily. Still, taking off a third before the battle begins is impressive.

Ranvier and I did some testing after the latest warrior nerf, and he was beating me consistently, whereas before I was destroying him. Of course, warriors have Retaliation now, which is basically a "kill the rogue for free once every 30 minutes" button. It basically gives me a free hit for every hit I take, but my hits do a lot more damage than yours.

Rogues seem to be a very good class now for soloing and dealing damage. When I was going into an instance towards the end, I'd take a rogue before a mage because the rogue could better control his aggro, and with the warrior aggro changes, less mobs to hold aggro on is better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules