Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Core i5 & i7 iMac shipping thread (quads)

Core i5 & i7 iMac shipping thread (quads) (Page 2)
RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009, 04:10 PM

My day after Thanksgiving core i7 just changed status to "prepared for shipment". Still says Shipping on Dec 11th however.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
My day after Thanksgiving core i7 just changed status to "prepared for shipment". Still says Shipping on Dec 11th however.
My day after Thanksgiving core i7 still says "Not yet shipped" but still due to ship on Dec. 11.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2009, 11:37 AM

Now Shipped out of Shanghai

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2009, 11:45 AM

Sweet! Mine now says "Prepared for Shipment"! If I'm lucky, maybe it will get here by this weekend.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2009, 07:08 PM

Er... After being processed by the FDA(?) in Kentucky it just arrived in Alaska - even though I live in NY.

What a long strange trip.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2009, 08:21 PM

Yep, mine's in Alaska too. Scheduled to be delivered on Friday.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2009, 10:09 AM

Kanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2010, 06:35 PM

Just in case anyone's still looking for this type of information like I am:

Ordered 27" iMac i7 February 2nd.

Shipped Monday, February 8th, via UPS World Ease to Toronto.

SHANGHAI, CN 08/02/2010 16:32 ORIGIN SCAN
CN 08/02/2010 5:42 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Those are local times, so that origin scan actually would have been very early Monday morning, presumably arriving in Anchorage last night.

Still no update since then; but judging by the previous poster's experience, I should expect it this week. Pretty awesome, considering the original estimated arrival date by Apple was Feb 24!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 06:37 PM

Feb. 2 order?

So those 3 week shipping delays are gross overestimates then.

Kanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2010, 06:46 PM

Well it's down to 2 weeks on the store right now; and my original estimated ship date was Feb 17th. So needless to say, Feb 8th was a pleasant surprise.

Granted, it'd be better to see that the package has actually shipped somewhere, and isn't sitting on a plane in Shanghai.

P
Feb 10, 2010, 09:46 AM

I've heard several reports about iMacs shipping in regular time despite initial shipping dates being changed to 3 weeks out. Remains to be seen why they changed the estimate at all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Kanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2010, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I guess six days probably is a "normal" wait time for a custom configuration. Maybe they're just buying themselves time just in case?

At any rate, here's update number one on what I'm sure will be my very own epic shipping saga:

Code:
OSAKA, JP 10/02/2010 23:25 DEPARTURE SCAN 10/02/2010 21:50 ARRIVAL SCAN SHANGHAI, CN 10/02/2010 19:47 DEPARTURE SCAN 10/02/2010 16:33 EXPORT SCAN SHANGHAI, CN 08/02/2010 16:32 ORIGIN SCAN CN 08/02/2010 5:42 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
(Seriously, why does everyone think Canada uses European-style dates? We would *never* write 10/02/2010.)

After sitting at UPS in Shanghai for two days, it went to... Osaka!

Which seems weird to me. Either way, though, it looks like it's on a plane again right now. Who knows where it'll end up next? Considering my tracking page doesn't even show an estimated delivery date, the possibilties are vast.

(Except that it's probably just going to Anchorage regardless.)

Kanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2010, 06:49 PM

The eagle has landed in Anchorage, and the scheduled delivery date is now Friday, February 12th.

Not too shabby compared to the original estimate of February 24th! Maybe Apple just sets the bar really, really low so that it's easy for them to overachieve.

Code:
ANCHORAGE, AK, US 10/02/2010 12:56 ARRIVAL SCAN OSAKA, JP 10/02/2010 23:25 DEPARTURE SCAN SHANGHAI, CN 10/02/2010 22:15 DEPARTURE SCAN OSAKA, JP 10/02/2010 21:50 ARRIVAL SCAN SHANGHAI, CN 10/02/2010 19:47 DEPARTURE SCAN 10/02/2010 16:33 EXPORT SCAN SHANGHAI, CN 08/02/2010 16:32 ORIGIN SCAN CN 08/02/2010 5:42 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
I do hope this information proves useful to somebody else one day, just as your tale helped me figure out what was happening with my order, Eug! I've got three client projects on hold while I wait for this new machine to arrive (killed my MacBook with a bottle of water), so it's kind of important that I have a solid handle on when it's getting here—I'm not the only one waiting on it.

Here's hoping UPS is able to hold up their end of the bargain and get it here this week! My fingers are firmly crossed.

Kanuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2010, 09:37 AM

A quick note of interest: while UPS.com tells me nothing new since my package departed Anchorage, AK, mobile.ups.com tells me my package is currently located in Louisville, KY.

It looks like the mobile site pulls location data from a more accurate (or at least different) source.

Worth knowing! Especially since UPS says the information available via their website is all the information they have about a package. It seems that's not entirely true.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2010, 12:12 AM

funny, mine quoted date of delivery was friday, and it came thursday in the AM.
it is a core i7 8gigs of ram and super duper fast.
still installing windows games for testing.
i had to buy a new version of windows to get 64bit, so it could see all of my ram.
another reason i am not a big fan of windows!
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Cold Warrior
Feb 28, 2010, 11:14 AM

Unless you needed more RAM, there was no downside to just using the regular version of Windows. But x64 is the future, so it's a good choice regardless.

What Windows x64 did you go with? I'm running Win 7 x64 and it is working out great.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 12:26 PM

I found a good deal on ultimate.
Mind you, all I do in windows is play games, there really is nothing else for me to do there.
Up till now, I played them on a macbook pro.
I love having the extra ram.
I felt like crying when I was done loading everything in Windows 7 the first time around and the ram said 2.99 gb when I have 8!
I just think these are horrible ideas to leave in the hands of the consumer.
Just make one version that does it all and make it invisible to us.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2010, 05:03 PM

I've seen i7 iMacs in the refurb store appear and disappear four times since tuesday. I plan on taking advantage of one this week. Does anyone know if the i7 quad beats out the 3.33 Ghz C2Ds for non-multicore aware apps?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

P
Mar 21, 2010, 06:33 PM

The i7 wins by a huge margin. Turbo means that the Core i7 will increase clock to 3.33 GHz when two cores are active (and the iMac cools more than well enough that Turbo is very much active - believe me) and the core improvements in Nehalem mean that it is well ahead before even considering the integrated memory controller. Add in the 4850 standard instead of the 4670 and the i7 completely trashes any Core 2 model.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2010, 05:39 AM

I'm dying to pick one up too. The one thing holding me back... glossy screen. :-(

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2010, 05:29 PM

glossy is cool, go for it

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2010, 06:38 PM

My refurbed i7 iMac is on the way!

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
glossy is cool, go for it
I've had 3 macbooks, glossy sucks.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I've had 3 macbooks, glossy sucks.
Yeah, I hated it too at first.
I think that more photo or image people seem to hate it.
I just made the adjustment and called it a day.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 08:24 AM

My i7 iMac arrived Tuesday. It came in a plain white box. It seems perfect - no dead pixels or other damage. I'm still transferring and configuring.

Did anyone ever notice the tiniest of holes cut in the top (by laser) for the microphone?

I discovered that Windows does not like to be cloned from one machine to another (my Boot Camp partition). I guess I have to do a reinstall of windows to play HL2.

P
Mar 31, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I discovered that Windows does not like to be cloned from one machine to another (my Boot Camp partition). I guess I have to do a reinstall of windows to play HL2.
It will work, provided you have the essential drivers installed before cloning. Main thing that is often missing (especially in XP) is newer southbridge drivers. Without those drivers, you can't boot from SATA HDs - NT will start to boot and eventually fail as soon as the BIOS hands over control of the HD. The error is called "Inaccessible Boot Device", and it is quite hard to bring the OS back from that.

Actually, even making a fresh XP install boot from SATA drives is tricky. Either you use a floppy to add the driver during installation - and who has a floppy drive any more? - or you make a slipstream disc with the driver installed. That last can take a few tries to get right.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the windows advice. I use it rarely just to play games so it is not critical.

My old CD iMac had a light to indicate it was asleep (or the display off).
I don't see any external light on the new iMacs indicating status? Is there one?

I assumed the iMac would have a small light like the wireless keyboard does that shines through a very thin area of aluminum.

P
Mar 31, 2010, 04:39 PM

AFAICT, there is no sleep light. Since the machine is also dead silent when idle, I can rarely tell when it is sleeping or just has turned off the display.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 11:39 AM

I also find the lack of sleep light slightly annoying, come to think of it.

New i5 here. Love the glossy display because I have it in a small nook of an office - no windows or lights behind.

The difference in speed between it and my now-dead 2.2 C2D Macbook Pro is astounding. Realizing how completely unusable Aperture was before this. Damn!

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
May 11, 2010, 09:46 PM

There's no sleep light in my aluminum iMac from 2007...why should they have added one in the new ones?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There's no sleep light in my aluminum iMac from 2007...why should they have added one in the new ones?
Don't ask me. My iMac was an original CD Intel iMac. I just was surprised that it disappeared. Didn't know when.

blowabs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2010, 10:26 AM

stoked....just ordered my refurb i5 iMac, for $1699....be here tuesday. Gettin the 800FW to 400FW cable on Monday...I'll be ready!!
( Last edited by blowabs; May 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM. )

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 13, 2010, 04:59 PM

Interesting. I did not ever notice this. I have noticed this on my MacBook Pro, come to think about it I would like to see one.

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
Interesting. I did not ever notice this. I have noticed this on my MacBook Pro, come to think about it I would like to see one.
I have a Belkin USB hub connected to the iMac, and I use the indicators on it as a sort of "reverse sleep light;" if there are no green lights on the hub, the iMac is asleep of off.

I remember people making a big thing of this when the aluminum iMacs first came out-I thought it was sort of common knowledge...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 14, 2010, 08:48 AM

I have a Belkin USB hub connected to the iMac, and I use the indicators on it as a sort of "reverse sleep light;" if there are no green lights on the hub, the iMac is asleep of off.

I remember people making a big thing of this when the aluminum iMacs first came out-I thought it was sort of common knowledge...
Interesting, thanks for the info. I have 2 USB hubs, but I have them stuck to the underside of my desk. I am on my iMac so much it does not matter, I had not noticed till I dead this thread. Ps, love this forum and the people in. Keep up the great work.

P
May 17, 2010, 08:18 AM

Good point. I also have a hub, and also an auto-starting external HD, that I can use for that.

When the alu iMacs launched, I was nowhere near the end of my upgrade cycle and the specs were nothing special. I guess I must have missed that detail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules