Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need help! AirPort card in iMac G4 causes Kernel Panics at startup

Need help! AirPort card in iMac G4 causes Kernel Panics at startup
Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 03:40 AM

OK, I have an Airport Extreme card that worked up to a couple of weeks just fine in a 12" PowerBook, but it's now no longer needed. So I took it out and wanted to put it in a 1GHz iMac G4 running 10.3.9. Unfortunately, as soon as the grey boot screen with the Apple goes away and the background gets blue, I get a kernel panic. If I then remove the Airport Card it boots fine. I tried the safe boot (pressing shift while booting) which let me log in, but then no AirPort card showed up in System Profiler and I couldn't set up a wireless connection; I guess because the appropriate kernel extension wasn't loaded.

Any ideas what's wrong here? The card should be OK, the iMac works fine otherwise. While the card was in the PowerBook there was a AirPort Extreme card firmware update applied, but otherwise the card is still in factory condition. Could the firmware be rendering the card useless on the iMac? Could there be some kind of hardware problem with the iMac's antenna cable or card slot causing this KP? I really hope it's not a broken iMac; it should use wireless networking soon and of course there's no warranty left, so a broken board isn't what I really want to have...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 04:18 AM

No ideas?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 09:44 PM

The previous generation iMac (the sunflower G4) does not support Airport Extreme. It uses the original Airport card.
iamwhor3hay

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
The previous generation iMac (the sunflower G4) does not support Airport Extreme. It uses the original Airport card.
Well, it's a 17" 1GHz iMac G4 (not the first 17" revision at 800MHz), so it does indeed support AirPort Extreme. Still, no go.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 01:38 PM

guess i'm out of ideas then. sorry.
iamwhor3hay

vidiotmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 11:53 AM

My Mac Mini was operating until day before yesterday and is now exhibiting the same symptoms described by Simon. AppleCare was no help!! Any others having this problem?
( Last edited by vidiotmike; May 14, 2005 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Removed quote)

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Any ideas what's wrong here? The card should be OK, the iMac works fine otherwise.
I had a similar problem with my G4 Cube; it would boot fine without the card, but would not boot with it. It turned out one of the pins in the connector was missing or broken off. Can you get the iMac at an angle where you can see if all the pins seem to be in place?
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Forum Links
Forum Rules