Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Some OS X Yosemite users seeing Wi-Fi issues, workarounds possible

Some OS X Yosemite users seeing Wi-Fi issues, workarounds possible
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 1, 2014, 12:31 PM

Complaints from Yosemite upgraders about Wi-Fi connectivity are beginning to stack up. Reports are circulating about strange Wi-Fi issues, with issues seemingly related to corrupted preference files or bad configurations left over from previous installs. Fixes abound for the issues, with seemingly no commonality to the problems beyond just being related to wireless networking.

OSX Daily has a variety of fixes available, ranging from least to most intrusive. The easiest to perform is a network configuration file deletion, which requires no dabbling in the Terminal app. Other possible fixes are reloading DNS discovery in the terminal, constructing a custom network configuration with specific parameters, all the way up to a clean install of Yosemite rather than an upgrade over an existing Mavericks install.

Only one MacNN staff with Yosemite had an issue, and then, only on one of five machines. In our case, a preference file deletion worked to solve the connectivity issue.

Apple has not formally issued a response to complaints. A source inside the company told us that a fix for the "exceedingly rare" issue is forthcoming.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 15, 2014 at 07:12 PM. )

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2014, 01:07 PM

For those needing help with the problem, there is a discussion thread on Apple's forums: ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601963?start=0&tstart=0 ). There are over 87,000 views already on that thread, so I would hardly call that exceedingly rare. Apple really needs to get the QA departments functioning properly. Considering the limited hardware they need to support it is simply unacceptable to see repeated problems such as this one (wi-fi problems are a common "feature" of Apple software updates, on both MacOS and iOS).

azrich
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2014, 01:16 PM

Weird that this still happened with a public beta this time. iOS updates always seem to kill someone's battery life... at least it is a minority. I was in that minority with 8.0.1 so I have felt the pain

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2014, 04:18 PM

I have had issues with wifi since my install of Yosemite but an not sure if it is because of my ISP or the wireless router or Yosemite.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2014, 03:19 PM

I had some issues with Wi-Fi during the early betas, but have not seen the problem since. My biggest issue is that "Instant Hotspot" doesn't often come up right away as it should, but it does work when I need it (which is a really handy feature).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

donaldkepler
Nov 4, 2014, 12:40 AM

Although Yosemite beta version is like 'Work In Progress, but still 'Yosemite' is a big improvement over Mavericks. Few weird issues like WiFi connection, (disconnecting again and again) made this version a little difficult to work upon. When I tried to connect with WiFi, the pages took eternity to get opened; like I could have my tea with my wife till one page get accessed by my Macbook Pro. Finally I came to know about few solutions like deleting Preference files, creating custom DNS settings etc. to come up to WiFi issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules