Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need sound app suggestion

Need sound app suggestion
LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2006, 07:14 PM

I do audio narrations for e-learning products for my employer. I use a Blue Snowball USB mic with a shock mount and pop filter. I purchased Soundtrack Pro and it has served me well so far. The app is obviously overkill for my needs though. I imagine I don't use 95% (or more) of Soundtrack's capabilities. It does have a great interface though.

All I need is a basic editor that gives me good sound enhancement capabilities. Noise reduction is important (to minimize computer fan noise, etc.), and Soundtrack Pro's noise reduction feature seems to work for me quite well. High-quality results are very important.

I'll be getting an Intel iMac soon. Now that Soundtrack Pro will no longer be offered as a standalone product, and I'll need the new Universal version, I'm looking for something more cost effective. I've read about Audacity and Sound Studio, both of which I'm going to try. Are there any other apps out there that might fit my limited needs?

Update: I don't see anything in Sound Studio that will allow me to make a noise print and reduce noise, like you can in Soundtrack Pro. Unless I'm missing something.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

jlincoln
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 09:38 AM

Have you tried Garage Band? I don't have much experience with it, but I understand it's a pretty beefy app. I found this list of other audio apps, http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html, I don't know how Universal they are but worth a shot to poke around.

JLincoln

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2006, 01:19 PM

The ones I am familiar with are ..

Amadeus 11
Audacity ... free but a bit buggy at times
Audio Hijack Pro has a lot of features and is well laid out ... $32
Tiger 10.4.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules