Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder Crashes When Disk Image Mounted

Finder Crashes When Disk Image Mounted
eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 09:35 PM

This just started happening an hour ago...
When I mount a disk image, the Finder crashes. It doesn't crash right when the disk image is mounted. It crashes when the Finder window displaying the disk images contents opens. I never see the contents of the disk image, because the Finder crashes too suddenly. After the crash, everything is fine, except that, when I try to open the mounted disk image volume, the Finder crashes again. This happens over and over, until I mount the disk image.

I have done the following:
1. Checked the Desktop for weird file names. None. I don't name things weirdly.
2. Deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file.
3. Repaired permissions. Got one message that a permission was corrected. Ran clean the second time.
4. Repaired disk with the OS X Tiger installation DVD. 1 Error repaired. Ran clean after that.

None of the above has corrected this. This does not happen when I log into another administrator account on the same machine.

If anyone can help me out, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!

(Running OS X 10.4.6 on an iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz machine with 768MB RAM.)
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

eeeaa  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 09:37 PM

Just noticed something else...
I have a FireWire drive that contains several folders. One of them, called "Software Installers", contains all the disk images that I have downloaded that I want to save, including software that I have a license for. When I open the mounted volume, everything is fine. When I browse to the "Software Installers" directory, the Finder crashes.

This is really getting weird.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

eeeaa  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 10:35 PM

Just found something else...
This might have nothing at all to do with the disk images, in fact, I doubt it does now...
I have the OS X Tiger disk mounted on my Desktop. Opening it in a Finder window crashes the Finder. So, this looks like some crash that is selective, and depends on certain directories being opened in the Finder. It's the same directories. This doesn't happen on the other user account. Is there not a plist file that can be gotten to and killed so that this stops happening?
( Last edited by dmetzcher; Apr 14, 2006 at 12:18 AM. )
Dennis R. Metzcher

eeeaa  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 12:16 AM

(sorry, posted the comments above again by accident - erasing)
Dennis R. Metzcher

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2006, 08:52 AM

Hi there ..

Since that doesn't happen in another account ... it sounds like it might be a preference problem

Try trashing
MacHD/Users/Your Account/Library/Preferences/com.apple.diskutility.plist
Tiger 10.4.8

eeeaa  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bergy
Hi there ..

Since that doesn't happen in another account ... it sounds like it might be a preference problem

Try trashing
MacHD/Users/Your Account/Library/Preferences/com.apple.diskutility.plist
Tried it...no luck.
This is really weird. If I so much as VIEW (not open) a folder that, when opened, crashes the Finder, the Finder crashes. So...if the folder is at the bottom of the directory listing in a Finder window, when I scroll down to it and can see it, the Finder crashes. This could have something to do with the fact that I have the Finder displaying the number of items inside a folder under the folder name, and when the Finder attempts to discover the number of items in the folder, it accesses that folder, and crashes.
Dennis R. Metzcher

eeeaa  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 07:51 PM

I decided to just reinstall the OS and start from scratch. A new user account would have worked, most-likely, but it was probably time for a fresh install. I have a faster machine now as a result, so it's cool.
Dennis R. Metzcher

Forum Links
Forum Rules